One approach to 1L success from someone ranked #1. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thecilent

Gold

Re: One approach to 1L success from someone ranked #1.

Post by thecilent » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:59 pm

are you an idiot? You JUST said v10 prob wouldn't look at op and then just wrote in red no shit that they would. jfc smh

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Verity wrote:
somethingdemure wrote:
Verity wrote:
somethingdemure wrote:
Sorry if I misunderstood you. Sounded like you were saying there's not really an important difference between #1 and top 5% for employment purposes.
Yeah, in most cases. If you're gunning for V10, well, then there is a difference. But they'd probably only be looking at people from T14 anyway, especially ITE, and OP was T30-40. Like I said.
OP has a shot at V10 and most everywhere else no shit. Top 5% from his school has a significantly lower shot no shit, if we're talking V10, but that doesn't mean that a lot of biglaw, all midlaw and shitlaw are really going to turn a blind eye to a top 5% when they would take #1.

I really didn't want a spitting match here, so I'll bow out.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:04 pm

thecilent wrote:are you an idiot? You JUST said v10 prob wouldn't look at op and then just wrote in red no shit that they would. jfc smh
No, that's true, I'll concede it makes a difference for V10. But seriously, outside of that (ie., vast majority) do you really think most employment opportunities will disappear for someone who's top 5% but not for someone's who's #1?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Verity wrote:
thecilent wrote:are you an idiot? You JUST said v10 prob wouldn't look at op and then just wrote in red no shit that they would. jfc smh
No, that's true, I'll concede it makes a difference for V10. But seriously, outside of that do you really think most employment opportunities will disappear for someone who's top 5% but not for someone's who's #1?
idk bc im not sure of the hiring and shizz outside t14 really. maybe not most opportunities, but i would imagine there are def more and better opportunities for the top few kids as opposed to the top 5%, yes.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:10 pm

thecilent wrote:
Verity wrote:
No, that's true, I'll concede it makes a difference for V10. But seriously, outside of that do you really think most employment opportunities will disappear for someone who's top 5% but not for someone's who's #1?
idk bc im not sure of the hiring and shizz outside t14 really. maybe not most opportunities, but i would imagine there are def more and better opportunities for the top five kids as opposed to the top 5%, yes.
Not most opportunities. Everyone is so obsessed with cream of the crop biglaw, but that's not the end all be all. In a class of 200, top 5 is top 2-3%, top 10 is top 5%. I really don't think you'll get shut out for not being number one, in almost every case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

McFly

New

Post by McFly » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:53 pm

mscarn23 wrote:
To cap it off, here’s how my non-finals schedule basically shook out for a given day (I basically stuck with a 7am to 7pm schedule every day, Monday-Friday).

7am wake up, high-protein breakfast
8am head to school
9am class 1
10am outline class 4 (or memorize flashcards if closed book)
11am class 2
12pm work on LRW crap
1pm class 3
2pm read for class 1
3:30pm read for class 2 (or memorize flashcards if closed book)
5pm read for class 3
7pm gym
8:00pm dinner
11pm sleep
:shock: No lunch on M-F?! I dunno if I'm built for this law school thing :?

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:19 pm

OP, thanks for taking the time to share your methods. I'm seriously inspired by your work ethic and discipline. Thanks also for listing all the supplements and other materials you used. I'm doing some 0L prep, I doubt it will hurt and so far I'm actually enjoying reading the E&E I've started.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:27 pm

Can a mod clean up this thread, or can mscarn edit the OP to include Q&A? There are some very good posts from OP throughout this thread, but they're buried in 15 pages of nonsense and tags.
This isn't for personal reasons since I already know where to look for what I need, but I'm pretty sure this will be one of those few epic threads that future 0Ls turn to.

gsat

New

Post by gsat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:56 pm

NYC Law wrote:Can a mod clean up this thread, or can mscarn edit the OP to include Q&A? There are some very good posts from OP throughout this thread, but they're buried in 15 pages of nonsense and tags.
This isn't for personal reasons since I already know where to look for what I need, but I'm pretty sure this will be one of those few epic threads that future 0Ls turn to.

Agreed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:God good, why is this still going on?

0Ls... just work hard, follow the advice that works for you, and have fun. There's law school in a nutshell.
Also, thanks OP for your insight and response ITT.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:17 pm

McFly wrote: :shock: No lunch on M-F?! I dunno if I'm built for this law school thing :?
lunch is for wimps and fatties

puppylaw

New

Post by puppylaw » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks for the great post!

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:51 pm

NYC Law wrote:Can a mod clean up this thread, or can mscarn edit the OP to include Q&A? There are some very good posts from OP throughout this thread, but they're buried in 15 pages of nonsense and tags.
+1

I am keeping a running MS Word Document of the OP's posts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:17 pm

2011Cycle wrote:
+1

+1 as well. Handing out some temp bans for such blatant derailing would be nice too.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Corwin wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
+1

+1 as well. Handing out some temp bans for such blatant derailing would be nice too.
one approach to 1L success from someone who is undeniably awesome: get over yourself

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:49 am

If peeps aren't willing to scan through a few pages of bs, they don't deserve to get the good stuff.

Op (or anyone else) can always write an article/blog if they don't want comments

PleaseHelpThanks

New

Post by PleaseHelpThanks » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:12 pm

I’m a little confused as to when OP actually took his first practice exam? I know OP said that he keeps his outline up to date, does flash cards throughout the semester, looks at old exams early, and basically just stays on track (on track, but also a way stronger track)… Can someone please enlighten me as to when OP would start taking his first practice exam? Would you start taking them before reading week? Would you start taking them 4 weeks prior to exams? I guess the heart of my question is this: is the OP suggesting we do exams before we finish the outlines? If so, is OP saying to go ahead and finish your outline without the professor, when you get towards the end of Fall, then work on exams while also finishing your outline with professor info for the last couple weeks?

Also, OP, thank you so much for this guide!

PHT

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mscarn23

New

Post by mscarn23 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:17 pm

As far as exams, here's what I would suggest. During your 0L summer get delaney's exam book, and/or LEEWS. Those both have "sample" law school exam questions, and should give you all the law you need to answer the questions. If you're against doing any actual work during the summer then I guess just read the answers. If you're a bit more proactive try groping through a question or two just to get a feel for the process.

As soon as the semester starts, get copies of your profs old exams if they're available. Some profs don't put them on reserve until closer to finals, and if that's the case it's fine too. Assuming they are available early, get the copies, and just read through them to get an idea of the profs testing style/method.

At whatever point in the semester you're able to have thumbed through an exam, go to the exam database that I linked to, and try to get a good supply of exams that are similar to those you've acquired from your actual prof. If sample answers are available, get these too.

I don't suggest taking any practice exams until you've finished your outline, which should be before the reading week starts. I suggest this because you don't want to fall into a self-defeating spiral. If you try to answer an essay question during your first week or month, or before you've properly distilled the information, you will be confused, frustrated, possibly frightened. I think that if you start taking actual practice exams as soon as the reading period starts you will have ample time to get in enough reps.

One exception to this could be for classes that tend to compartmentalize. If your civ pro class spends half the semester on subject matter jurisdiction and then leaves it and moves on, you won't hurt yourself by doing practice questions on this topic. On the other hand, if your torts class focuses exclusively on negligence, or your contracts class spends the entire semester on contract formation, taking practice exams early (where you know what breach is, but don't know anything about duty or proximate cause) isn't a good idea in my opinion.

Let me know if this is unclear and I'll do my best to refine the answer.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:43 pm

mscarn23 wrote:One exception to this could be for classes that tend to compartmentalize. If your civ pro class spends half the semester on subject matter jurisdiction and then leaves it and moves on, you won't hurt yourself by doing practice questions on this topic. On the other hand, if your torts class focuses exclusively on negligence, or your contracts class spends the entire semester on contract formation, taking practice exams early (where you know what breach is, but don't know anything about duty or proximate cause) isn't a good idea in my opinion.
Is it possible to know this in advance?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Verity wrote:
mscarn23 wrote:One exception to this could be for classes that tend to compartmentalize. If your civ pro class spends half the semester on subject matter jurisdiction and then leaves it and moves on, you won't hurt yourself by doing practice questions on this topic. On the other hand, if your torts class focuses exclusively on negligence, or your contracts class spends the entire semester on contract formation, taking practice exams early (where you know what breach is, but don't know anything about duty or proximate cause) isn't a good idea in my opinion.
Syllabus.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:58 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Verity wrote:
Syllabus.
I now reciprocate the 0L admonishment.

The syllabus tells you what to read. Even if topics and theories are mentioned on the syllabus, if you don't recognize phrases and terms on it you won't be able to "compartmentalize."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Verity wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
Verity wrote: Is it possible to know this in advance?
Syllabus.

The syllabus tells you what to read. Even if topics and theories are mentioned on the syllabus, if you don't recognize phrases and terms on it you won't be able to "compartmentalize."
You won't be able to recognize if a large portion of the class is dedicated to negligence? ... nevermind, I'm not getting sucked into this again.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:07 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Verity wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
Verity wrote: Is it possible to know this in advance?
Syllabus.

You won't be able to recognize if a large portion of the class is dedicated to negligence? ... nevermind, I'm not getting sucked into this again.
No, dummy. OP says, "if your torts class focuses exclusively on negligence, or your contracts class spends the entire semester on contract formation, taking practice exams early (where you know what breach is, but don't know anything about duty or proximate cause) isn't a good idea in my opinion."

Sample Syllabus:

Week 1: Introduction to the concept of contracts
Assigned Reading: Contracts, pp. 111-175
Week 2: Breach
Assigned Reading: Contracts, pp. 202-242
Week 5: Overview of duty
Assigned Reading: Contracts, pp. 345-401
Week 8: Proximate cause
Assigned Reading: Contracts, pp. 722-797

Use your imagination.

*edited.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:14 pm

What a mess of a thread this is.

Also, whether an exam is "compartmentalized" also has to do with the type of questions your professor assigns on the exam. A giant issue spotter is likely going to require more knowledge of distinct areas that a short answer question or small issue spotter.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:06 pm

Classes with no Syllabus are EVIL. I had two second semester and it was painful (at least for one of them we could use the book, but the other was all over the place and made it extremely hard to organize the material).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”