Best Gift Argument Ever

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MoS

Best Gift Argument Ever

Postby MoS » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:42 pm

This has probably been posted here before, but I just found it.
--LinkRemoved--

thecynic69

Re: Best Gift Argument Ever

Postby thecynic69 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:06 am

Interesting article. I immediately wondered about how child support would be handled if a woman gave birth to a child as a consequence of her raping a man; a quick google search suggested that a statutorily raped man would be responsible for child support. Given the logic for holding this doctor responsible, and for holding statutorily raped men responsible for child support, I suppose the answer is that a forcibly raped man would also be held responsible for child support. This seems...absurd. Is this conclusion right? Cue outrage?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:06 am

The title of this thread is deserved.

edit: also, can a couple enter into a contract that they will not have kids and if the woman gets pregnant he will not be financially responsible?

also, craziness and gold digging should not be encouraged. It might be best for a single individual child, but if this guy must pay child support, more crazy gold diggers will end up pulling sh*t like this, and more children will be born with one or both parents who don't really care about them.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:24 am

thecynic69 wrote:Interesting article. I immediately wondered about how child support would be handled if a woman gave birth to a child as a consequence of her raping a man; a quick google search suggested that a statutorily raped man would be responsible for child support. Given the logic for holding this doctor responsible, and for holding statutorily raped men responsible for child support, I suppose the answer is that a forcibly raped man would also be held responsible for child support. This seems...absurd. Is this conclusion right? Cue outrage?

it's absurd

man chose to rape and thus impregnate another
woman chose to rape and thus impregnate herself

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:28 am

Borhas wrote:
thecynic69 wrote:Interesting article. I immediately wondered about how child support would be handled if a woman gave birth to a child as a consequence of her raping a man; a quick google search suggested that a statutorily raped man would be responsible for child support. Given the logic for holding this doctor responsible, and for holding statutorily raped men responsible for child support, I suppose the answer is that a forcibly raped man would also be held responsible for child support. This seems...absurd. Is this conclusion right? Cue outrage?

it's absurd

man chose to rape and thus impregnate another
woman chose to rape and thus impregnate herself

yeah you'd think the "damage" for the two cases are quite different...and for some reason i thought this thread was still talking about the best possible gifts to recommenders thread :x

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:37 am

got it from the comments of the OP's posted link: --LinkRemoved--

more cases and one in particular is about statutory rape involving an underage boy

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:05 am

The ridiculousness of this case is messing with my head. I'm guessing that the next step is going to be a man that jerks off into a tissue and throws it away only to have a woman dig it out of a trash dump and impregnate herself and get child support, and possibly alimony as well.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:14 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:got it from the comments of the OP's posted link: --LinkRemoved--

more cases and one in particular is about statutory rape involving an underage boy

from that same article:

Where will the strict liability theory of sperm lead? Consider the following fact situation that is currently before the trial court in Kansas: Two couples go to the local lover's lane in one car, one couple in the front seat, and one couple in the back seat. They discover that among them all, they have only one condom. The couple in the back seat engage in intercourse using the condom, and then give the condom to the couple in the front seat. The gentleman in the front seat, not wanting to spread disease, turns the condom inside out. The couple in the front seat then engage in intercourse. One month later, the lady in the front seat discovers she is pregnant. After the birth of the child, DNA tests reveal that the father is the gentleman from the back seat. Clearly, the gentleman in the front seat engaged in an intimate sexual act with the mother of the child. Yet, it is the sperm from the gentleman in the back seat who impregnated the mother. Who is on the hook for child support? Should the court impose a "joint enterprise" theory of liability? Or is the gentleman in the back seat "strictly liable" because it was his sperm?

and this is the conclusion the article leaves with?:

Thus, to all men who complain about paying child support for children they did not want, the simple advice is, "Shut up and put on a condom. And dispose of it yourself."

what a joke. the advice needs to be to congress to put a stop this kind of shit.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:24 am

in majority of other countries, this kind of thing wouldn't happen...
however, the other article does talk about how the whole paternity drama is mainly for the child's benefit although whoever wrote the first one obviously wrote it for the whole "crazy woman and spit-covered gifts" perspective and ignored the main thoughts of the court.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:27 am

thecynic69 wrote:Given the logic for holding this doctor responsible, and for holding statutorily raped men responsible for child support, I suppose the answer is that a forcibly raped man would also be held responsible for child support. This seems...absurd. Is this conclusion right? Cue outrage?

Not sure if you read the info in the link that Mr Fox posted, but in the article there was a man who was date raped by a woman, who then got pregnant and successfully sued for child support. When a man date rapes a woman, I definitely think he should go to jail for some years. It should be the same the other way around. Not only is she not facing any criminal charges, but she is being rewarded.

before I fall asleep, i'd like to amend this by saying that I do not think that woman on man date rape is as bad as the other way round, but it is still beyond belief that the man would have to pay child support to a stranger who basically date raped him.

slacker

Postby slacker » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:36 am

So when do men not pay child support by this logic then?

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:41 am

slacker wrote:So when do men not pay child support by this logic then?

never they always pay; there was a list made by one of the commenters on either of the article and "he always pays" the society's overly-emphasized effort at reducing the inequality between the two sexes actually made it worse. But i reiterate, this is for the kid's sake since in terms of responsibilities-salary potential, it is still not equal between the two sexes and single mothers always have to resort to part-time jobs (with less promotional opportunities or lower salaries) or other occupations with less stringent time schedule but those that aren't equal to her full potential--so biglaw is out for her! :x

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:42 am

I guess you can feel safe going to a sperm bank (I'm seriously guessing that if there wasn't an explicit law about it that the courts would not let you feel so safe), but that seems to be it.

I deceived you. Pay me.
You were underage. Pay me.
I raped you. Pay me.

It's like the mafia.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:46 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:

never they always pay; there was a list made by one of the commenters on either of the article and "he always pays" the society's overly-emphasized effort at reducing the inequality between the two sexes actually made it worse. But i reiterate, this is for the kid's sake since in terms of responsibilities-salary potential, it is still not equal between the two sexes and single mothers always have to resort to part-time jobs (with less promotional opportunities or lower salaries) or other occupations with less stringent time schedule but those that aren't equal to her full potential--so biglaw is out for her! :x

except that these loopholes are hurting more lives than they are helping by reinforcing the ability of gold diggers to get what they don't deserve (and would like to add that I'm for child support and alimony in most cases, but this stuff is just completely insane).

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:08 am

Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:14 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:The gentleman in the front seat, not wanting to spread disease, turns the condom inside out.

WTF? WTF?!

Just read that...must have been drunk or something (or very confused with how babies are made)

nymario

Postby nymario » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:40 am

Puzzle: A Woman would like to have sex with three men. She only possesses two condoms. She insists on always using a "fresh" condom. Assuming you can wear a condom normally or inside out, and can wear 2 condoms together, but no genital or used condom surface can come in contact with a different genital, how do you accomplish this?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:55 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:The title of this thread is deserved.

edit: also, can a couple enter into a contract that they will not have kids and if the woman gets pregnant he will not be financially responsible?

I've never heard a better argument for "void for public policy." See In Re Baby M

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 am

nymario wrote:Puzzle: A Woman would like to have sex with three men. She only possesses two condoms. She insists on always using a "fresh" condom. Assuming you can wear a condom normally or inside out, and can wear 2 condoms together, but no genital or used condom surface can come in contact with a different genital, how do you accomplish this?

Double bagging doesn't work. HTH

nymario

Postby nymario » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:52 am

sundance95 wrote:
nymario wrote:Puzzle: A Woman would like to have sex with three men. She only possesses two condoms. She insists on always using a "fresh" condom. Assuming you can wear a condom normally or inside out, and can wear 2 condoms together, but no genital or used condom surface can come in contact with a different genital, how do you accomplish this?

Double bagging doesn't work. HTH

I know, but it must be presumed that you can for the purposes of the hypo. This one was on my LSAT in 1999, by the way.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:58 am

Man #1 uses condom A inside of condom B. Set aside condom A.
Man #2 uses condom B, clean side in. The outside has already touched the woman so that's fine.
Man #3 flips condom A inside out and uses the clean side (that was against condom B when Man #1 was using it) on himself; he then puts condom B, Man #2's semen side in and woman side out, on top of it.
Is that right?

Also, no way was this on the LSAT!

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:01 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:The gentleman in the front seat, not wanting to spread disease, turns the condom inside out.

WTF? WTF?!

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:30 am

Hippononymous wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

WTF? WTF?!

Don't people know that babies are the worst disease of all?

Seminole_305

Postby Seminole_305 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Why can't he argue her taking his semen is like her going to a sperm bank?

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:26 pm

Not that I am an expert by any means, but I do know this to be true from a male friend of mine. He was 13 at the time.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”