Got an F - Dropping out....

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
haus
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby haus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:07 am

forty-two wrote:
haus wrote:So I can't imagine a prof giving someone an F even if they didn't have the entire exam.


I would suspect it would depend on how much exam was there to grade, and how good/bad the portion that was available for grading was.

User avatar
SmittenMitten
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby SmittenMitten » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:54 am

disbarred wrote:
barry wrote:Your school doesn't force profs to give out F's right? this professor has to be a huge A-hole to give anyone an F who gave a good faith effort


Our school doesn't force profs to give out F's. I didn't think our prof had a dick streak but who knows. The thing that kills me is that I discussed my exam responses with fellow classmates afterwards and I felt like I identified many of the central issues. Oh well. Fail.


Something is not right here..

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby blacklawboss » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:15 am

disbarred= Johhny Blaze= FLAME

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:18 am

No professor at Notre Dame would give an F if the person put forth a good faith effort. I have been going on the assumption that NDLS is not the T25 in question.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:19 am

blacklawboss wrote:disbarred= Johhny Blaze= FLAME


I also detect hints of Jean Marie.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby geoduck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 am

flcath wrote:So I'm not out-and-out calling flame, but...

this kind of shit unnecessarily scares the 0Ls. I dunno what kind of weird aberration happened to the OP ("the rubric" didn't put you at an F; your grade was probably the worst one given by a mile), but THIS SHIT DOES NOT HAPPEN. As in: F's just don't happen. And they definitely don't happen when you're not expecting them. Even when you are expecting an F, that's when C's happen, not F's.

Think of the laziest, stupidest person in your class. This person might get a C.
geoduck wrote:No! He needs to spend another 120k at Notre Dame to make us all feel better.

Did the OP say this? If the story is actually true, I give it 50/50 odds that it happened here.


It was a buzzed, educated guess. Not UMN or GWU cause they would rep top 20, so it's either BU, IUB, UC-Davis, UIUC, or Notre Dame. I picked the one where I thought it most likely that a prof would take a stand to defend his F.

User avatar
ConTiger
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 10:36 am

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby ConTiger » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:45 am

Here's my new-to-the-boards, 0L take on why this guy is a either a flame or hiding a something from us:

1. He appears all "woe-is-me" about this. I would be effing pissed if I put an entire semester of studying into one exam and failed. I would do everything in my power to make the professor explain to me why I deserved this and I would challenge every bit of it. He doen't appear to be that interested in that. This guy either didn't get pissed, is a giant pussy, or is a flame.

2. The professor doesn't have to give out Fs. So what happened here? Did you bang the prof's wife and he found out about it? What did you do to piss him off? Did you skip every class? Cheat?

3. The chance that some of the test was not provided to him. This happened to me in UG and my professor notified me of it immediately, rather asked why I didn't do all of the test. Furthermore, if he discussed this with his classmates like he said, then he would more than likely would have caught that he didn't do the entire test. This did not occur IMO.

Regardless, I need to see more William Wallace out of this guy than Eeyore, in order for me not to believe that this guys is either a flame or that he completely blew the class off...

Image

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:47 am

geoduck wrote:
flcath wrote:So I'm not out-and-out calling flame, but...

this kind of shit unnecessarily scares the 0Ls. I dunno what kind of weird aberration happened to the OP ("the rubric" didn't put you at an F; your grade was probably the worst one given by a mile), but THIS SHIT DOES NOT HAPPEN. As in: F's just don't happen. And they definitely don't happen when you're not expecting them. Even when you are expecting an F, that's when C's happen, not F's.

Think of the laziest, stupidest person in your class. This person might get a C.
geoduck wrote:No! He needs to spend another 120k at Notre Dame to make us all feel better.

Did the OP say this? If the story is actually true, I give it 50/50 odds that it happened here.


It was a buzzed, educated guess. Not UMN or GWU cause they would rep top 20, so it's either BU, IUB, UC-Davis, UIUC, or Notre Dame. I picked the one where I thought it most likely that a prof would take a stand to defend his F.


BU 1Ls don't have grades back yet. And we call ourselves T20 anyway. So thats one down.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby geoduck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:51 am

ConTiger wrote:
2. The professor doesn't have to give out Fs. So what happened here? Did you bang the prof's wife and he found out about it? What did you do to piss him off? Did you skip every class? Cheat?


He banged the prof and the prof's wife found out about it.

User avatar
ConTiger
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 10:36 am

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby ConTiger » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:55 am

geoduck wrote:
ConTiger wrote:
2. The professor doesn't have to give out Fs. So what happened here? Did you bang the prof's wife and he found out about it? What did you do to piss him off? Did you skip every class? Cheat?


He banged the prof and the prof's wife found out about it.


I like where your head's at, but he should have some leverage if that happened...maybe that's how he could resolve this mess? Bang the prof...

theantiscalia
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:55 am

ndirish2010 wrote:No professor at Notre Dame would give an F if the person put forth a good faith effort. I have been going on the assumption that NDLS is not the T25 in question.


I'm backing him up. There's a professor here that gives like one D a semester and people get pissed off at him. This didn't happen at ND...

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:56 am

Could be Illinois. We got our grades the day before this post.

I didn't think law schools gave F's but I don't think there's any rule that a prof couldn't give an F if they wanted to.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:02 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Could be Illinois. We got our grades the day before this post.

I didn't think law schools gave F's but I don't think there's any rule that a prof couldn't give an F if they wanted to.


Some law schools certainly do give F's, but not T25s usually...

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby missinglink » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:11 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Could be Illinois. We got our grades the day before this post.

I didn't think law schools gave F's but I don't think there's any rule that a prof couldn't give an F if they wanted to.


Some law schools certainly do give F's, but not T25s usually...

And certainly not for a good faith effort. If a student truly did do "F" quality work, that's what a C or a C- is for.

I want to say flame. If not, all the best to the OP.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby geoduck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:20 am

missinglink wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Could be Illinois. We got our grades the day before this post.

I didn't think law schools gave F's but I don't think there's any rule that a prof couldn't give an F if they wanted to.


Some law schools certainly do give F's, but not T25s usually...

And certainly not for a good faith effort. If a student truly did do "F" quality work, that's what a C or a C- is for.

I want to say flame. If not, all the best to the OP.


If we're ruling out ND... Anyone know if BU has any stubborn old coots?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby haus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:22 am

geoduck wrote:If we're ruling out ND... Anyone know if BU has any stubborn old coots?


According to Cupidity, 1Ls @ BU have not yet gotten their grades.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby shoeshine » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:24 am

I think the OP has a duty to out the school and professor if he is not a flame. If he is real then he has nothing to lose.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:24 am

If this was a serious post, the OP likely would have revealed the course & the prof would have explained the deficiency. Getting an "F" is bad, not understanding why is worse.


To the poster on the first page who wrote that all law school graduates are called "lawyer": Not true. Law graduates have to pass a bar exam & be admitted to the bar to become a lawyer.

Failing a first year law class which is sure to be on the bar exam suggests incompetency. The inability to understand how one failed a first year class reinforces the notion of incompetency. Remember, the LSAT tests intelligence type abilities while bar exams test for competence.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby geoduck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:25 am

haus wrote:
geoduck wrote:If we're ruling out ND... Anyone know if BU has any stubborn old coots?


According to Cupidity, 1Ls @ BU have not yet gotten their grades.


I have a hard time believing that it was one of the public schools, which is part of why I went for ND and BU. It's not Davis. So... IUB or UIUC.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:27 am

geoduck wrote:
haus wrote:
geoduck wrote:If we're ruling out ND... Anyone know if BU has any stubborn old coots?


According to Cupidity, 1Ls @ BU have not yet gotten their grades.


I have a hard time believing that it was one of the public schools, which is part of why I went for ND and BU. It's not Davis. So... IUB or UIUC.


Why not public schools?

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby geoduck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:39 am

Desert Fox wrote:
geoduck wrote:
haus wrote:
geoduck wrote:If we're ruling out ND... Anyone know if BU has any stubborn old coots?


According to Cupidity, 1Ls @ BU have not yet gotten their grades.


I have a hard time believing that it was one of the public schools, which is part of why I went for ND and BU. It's not Davis. So... IUB or UIUC.


Why not public schools?


Well we've already ruled out the privates, so I'll have to be a public. It's probably illogical and based on my view of the way public secondary schools work, but I always feel like public teachers have more push to not fail students.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby haus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Failing a first year law class which is sure to be on the bar exam suggests incompetency. The inability to understand how one failed a first year class reinforces the notion of incompetency. Remember, the LSAT tests intelligence type abilities while bar exams test for competence.


To the best of my knowledge the OP has only received a grade, not had an opportunity to review the graded results of their exam. If this was caused by a massive misunderstanding of a fundamental part of the course, and the student decides to stay on, they will be required to go back and recover the material at hand. Given that the OP appears to be able to pass other courses, there is a good chance that a second run at the failed course would provide the opportunity to ensure that they really did understand the material well before they will need to worry about sitting for a bar exam.

If it was caused by some type of mistake, perhaps modifications can be made. Either way, it seems worthwhile for the OP to at least try to arrange to review the graded exam.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:51 am

geoduck wrote:Well we've already ruled out the privates, so I'll have to be a public. It's probably illogical and based on my view of the way public secondary schools work, but I always feel like public teachers have more push to not fail students.


In undergrad its definitely the opposite. They don't think twice about failing a student. Public undergrads have lower average GPA's than private. The whole "I pay your salary" thing doesn't really roll when you are paying 8K a year in tuition.

But public law schools pretty much operate like private ones.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby haus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:52 am

geoduck wrote:Well we've already ruled out the privates, so I'll have to be a public. It's probably illogical and based on my view of the way public secondary schools work, but I always feel like public teachers have more push to not fail students.


It seems to me that the finances of public schools are less connected to choice of students to stick around or not. I would have thought that this would have allowed for greater latitude for a Professors to hand out horrific grades.

disbarred
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby disbarred » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:07 pm

I don't want to out the Dean or prof. I attend a T20-30 school. I plan on meeting the prof soon and hopefully there's a clerical error or something. From my conversation with the Dean though, that doesn't seem to be the case. The Dean indicated that others had received D's and F's though. It's just a shitty situation so I thought I'd share. I'll be fine ultimately.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hollamcholla1, shouganai3268 and 21 guests