Got an F - Dropping out....

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:29 am

Would you retards stop trying to talk him out of dropping out. It's the right call.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:33 am

Desert Fox wrote:Would you retards stop trying to talk him out of dropping out. It's the right call.

No! He needs to spend another 120k at Notre Dame to make us all feel better.

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:35 am

You honestly have nothing to lose at this point. I mean you really can't get any lower than an F so at least challenging the grade cannot hurt you. Seriously, talk to the Dean of Students. I've never heard of anyone failing and I'm kinda shocked.

You seem like a decent dude. If you decide to drop out, I think you'll be just fine :)

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:40 am

Well, OP... if you decide to drop out you better go out in style.

I would walk into the profs office and take a shit right on his desk. Then, I would be sure to have some weed in a bag and write "to prof' X" on the bag and throw it in the dean's office.

Maybe piss on his car door handles for good measure and subsequently hit the bars and enjoy your new found freedom.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:54 am

Given your contacts and experience, it is probably the smart, albeit painful, choice.

Good luck with everything and I'm wishing you the best, FWIW.

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:57 am

f7 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:You honestly have nothing to lose at this point. I mean you really can't get any lower than an F so at least challenging the grade cannot hurt you. Seriously, talk to the Dean of Students. I've never heard of anyone failing and I'm kinda shocked.

You seem like a decent dude. If you decide to drop out, I think you'll be just fine :)

Um... besides a fuckload more money.

Um...I meant nothing to lose in terms of at least challenging the grade because he just got an F. As in, he has nothing to lose because he can only help his grade if he decides to challenge it. How was this not obvious from my original post?

plum

Postby plum » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:57 am

disbarred wrote:
barry wrote:Your school doesn't force profs to give out F's right? this professor has to be a huge A-hole to give anyone an F who gave a good faith effort

Our school doesn't force profs to give out F's. I didn't think our prof had a dick streak but who knows. The thing that kills me is that I discussed my exam responses with fellow classmates afterwards and I felt like I identified many of the central issues. Oh well. Fail.

you really should be raising hell over this. be outraged. you've got nothing to lose anyways if you plan to drop out. but prolly don't go all out ATL style w ur rage, as employers would google you and find that.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:00 am

Desert Fox wrote:Would you retards stop trying to talk him out of dropping out. It's the right call.

Well argued.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:09 am

What would OP's job prospects have been with a 3.2 from a t-25? Would they really have been bleak? I know it's no longer a 3.2, but he did mention he'd have a hard time getting a job regardless.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:12 am

F for flame

plum

Postby plum » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:13 am

would it even make a difference if OP is somehow able to bump it up from an F to a C? doesn't a C look bad too. i doubt he can get it bumped up much more than that even if he rages.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:14 am

f7 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:What would OP's job prospects have been with a 3.2 from a t-25? Would they really have been bleak? I know it's no longer a 3.2, but he did mention he'd have a hard time getting a job regardless.

They've gone from bad to abysmal.

so median at a top 25 is f'd or just not getting big law?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:17 am

seatown12 wrote:

Well argued.

I won't let a WUSTL student talk to me that way.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:26 am

The only people who think OP is totally fucked are those who are Biglaw or bust. Going into law school with that attitude is like calling a bet on the turn with a naked flush draw planning to fold when you miss. If OP was actually only in it for his 20% shot at a big payday then I guess he should quit now, and try not to be such a dipshit next time he has a major life decision to make. If he had a real reason for going to law school, like he wanted to be a lawyer, then this F doesn't make as big a difference as he thinks as explained by more than one poster ITT.

plum

Postby plum » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:34 am

seatown12 wrote:If OP was actually only in it for his 20% shot at a big payday then I guess he should quit now, and try not to be such a dipshit next time he has a major life decision to make.

this made me lol

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:50 am

But is it the right call because of the F? With a 3.2 at a T25 it wasn't as if OP had a great shot at any grade-competitive jobs to begin with. It wasn't going to be models and bottles; it wasn't even going to be BigLaw. He was going to have debt and employment issues before the F dropped. Has that much really changed?

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:01 am

I'm still blown away at the fact that your prof gave an F at a T25. My impression was always that some good faith effort and it was a C at worst. Especially with an issue spotter. I can understand MC where if you just completely bomb it but with an issue spotter it's hard for me to see that kind of disparity between a point total for someone who's last and second to last to justify an F versus a C.

I'm not sure what I'd recommend. As it was, you were sitting with a 3.2 at a T25 so big law probably wasn't the status quo. While I would agree with people who say that if your aspiration was big law, then dropping out is the correct decision. But, I think given where you were before, you probably weren't anticipating a big law type job, so I think it becomes a closer decision. You have a finance background so you know the debt you would be taking on should you continue and the prospect of paying it off over the years. Given that, I'd say you understand the situation and I think any calculated decision you make is probably the right choice.

Since you do seem to be leaning towards dropping out, I would definitely try a last ditch effort to try to talk to your professor.

Either way, keep your head up. The grading system is arbitrary to some extent and I wouldn't take it personally. You're going to be fine and this could and probably is a blessing in disguise.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:10 am

So I'm not out-and-out calling flame, but...

this kind of shit unnecessarily scares the 0Ls. I dunno what kind of weird aberration happened to the OP ("the rubric" didn't put you at an F; your grade was probably the worst one given by a mile), but THIS SHIT DOES NOT HAPPEN. As in: F's just don't happen. And they definitely don't happen when you're not expecting them. Even when you are expecting an F, that's when C's happen, not F's.

Think of the laziest, stupidest person in your class. This person might get a C.
geoduck wrote:No! He needs to spend another 120k at Notre Dame to make us all feel better.

Did the OP say this? If the story is actually true, I give it 50/50 odds that it happened here.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:12 am

If this is not a flame (although I think it must be, unless OP is not telling us something important). I am sorry OP.

To the ppl who really arguing for him not to drop out, what do you think his chances are really for legal employment? True he goes to a t-25 but he will NEVER be hired by any employer that requires a transcript. This includes a lot more than just biglaw, such as smaller firms, public interest, and basically every gov't position. Further, his GPA is likely to be awful, I know ppl are saying OP can raise it, but seriously, OP got an F in a law school class. Even if he is median in his other classes, it does not speak well for his exam abilities.

The legal market is awful and there are no real signs it is going to get better anytime soon. In fact it probable will get worse considering states will probably hire even less lawyers in the upcoming years. Hell, only 68% of the class of 2010 got jobs that require a JD, which is probably an inflated number and also includes employemnt like part-time lawyers and document review. Even though OP goes to a T-25, he has an F on his transcript which will kill him.

Everyone is telling OP to look long term and if he stays with the law he will be fine b/c he is going to a T-25. The long term only looks good if he can get an entry level job, there are few of them currently and the OP would be at the bottom of most hiring pools. Ppl are basically advising him to take on another 100k+ worth of non-dsichargeable student loan debt to have a well less than 50% (hell ,probobably well less than 20%) chance at legal employment, let alone legal employment that pays OP enough to pay off his loans. Basically, ppl are advising OP to stay in a profession that values presitige and grades extremely highly even though OP has a grade that makes him unhireable.

OP, good luck in whatever your decision. You should actually contact some alumni (particurally those that conduct hiring) and ask their advice. Either way, you should go balls to the wall to fight the F. Seriously, as others have said, you have nothing to lose, particurally if you are leaving the profession. Force the professor to tell you, face to face, why he gave you an F.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:18 am

I was thinking flame, because what T25 gives F's? I go to a T2 and my school doesn't give F's. OP, since you wouldn't stay anyway, I would challenge the grade and then go over it with your professor to see what happened; and it had to be more than the "rubric" (though I agree about dropping out if the F is real).

disbarred

Postby disbarred » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:33 am

I really wish I was a flame. Never in my wildest imagination could I envision things unfolding like this. I thought I had done my due diligence before embarking on this law school journey but I had no idea the employment situation was as horrid as it is. I wasn't gunning for Biglaw...but shitlaw wasn't what I was aspiring towards either. I've talked to at least a dozen graduating 3L's at my school with impressive credentials but nothing lined up. The outlook is hardly brighter for rising 3Ls. My class will essentially be competing with both of these classes for the same jobs. What's left then for someone at the bottom of the class? I guess ultimately I only have myself to blame. It sucks. You never imagine that you would end up in the bottom half of your class, let alone the bottom of your class.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:36 am

FLAME. No one with a 3.25 that put any effort into an exam at all (and I mean ANY fucking effort at all), could possibly get an "F." It just does not happen.

What do you get out of flaming like this? I really don't get it.

haus

Postby haus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:43 am

flcath wrote:So I'm not out-and-out calling flame, but...

this kind of shit unnecessarily scares the 0Ls. I dunno what kind of weird aberration happened to the OP ("the rubric" didn't put you at an F; your grade was probably the worst one given by a mile), but THIS SHIT DOES NOT HAPPEN. As in: F's just don't happen. And they definitely don't happen when you're not expecting them. Even when you are expecting an F, that's when C's happen, not F's.

Think of the laziest, stupidest person in your class. This person might get a C.
geoduck wrote:No! He needs to spend another 120k at Notre Dame to make us all feel better.

Did the OP say this? If the story is actually true, I give it 50/50 odds that it happened here.

The situation sounds strange, perhaps it is a flame, I do not know.

My fist thought was thought was accident, such as, if it was a test given on paper, the student was missing a page, and thus end up simply not answering several questions because they did not know they were there. If it was on a computer, perhaps a file transfer glitch cut off half of the students response from making it in for grading (while this is a long shot compared to the paper scenario, I would not rule it out until the test has been reviewed).

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:54 am

disbarred wrote:I really wish I was a flame. Never in my wildest imagination could I envision things unfolding like this. I thought I had done my due diligence before embarking on this law school journey but I had no idea the employment situation was as horrid as it is. I wasn't gunning for Biglaw...but shitlaw wasn't what I was aspiring towards either. I've talked to at least a dozen graduating 3L's at my school with impressive credentials but nothing lined up. The outlook is hardly brighter for rising 3Ls. My class will essentially be competing with both of these classes for the same jobs. What's left then for someone at the bottom of the class? I guess ultimately I only have myself to blame. It sucks. You never imagine that you would end up in the bottom half of your class, let alone the bottom of your class.

After this post, I'm pretty sure this is a flame as well. His posts are starting to get more and more "don't go to law school" preachy.

Or who knows, maybe just wishful thinking.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:58 am

haus wrote:
The situation sounds strange, perhaps it is a flame, I do not know.

My fist thought was thought was accident, such as, if it was a test given on paper, the student was missing a page, and thus end up simply not answering several questions because they did not know they were there. If it was on a computer, perhaps a file transfer glitch cut off half of the students response from making it in for grading (while this is a long shot compared to the paper scenario, I would not rule it out until the test has been reviewed).

The file transfer thing actually could have happened. One of my profs told my class to always talk to profs if we receive a grade way below what we expected because she once only got half of a student's test because it uploaded improperly. IT was able to find the rest of the test and my prof raised his grade. However, she had initially given him a C. So I can't imagine a prof giving someone an F even if they didn't have the entire exam.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”