Got an F - Dropping out.... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MauveDinosaur

New

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Post by MauveDinosaur » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:26 pm

andythefir wrote:For what it's worth, I sincerely doubt anyone who can book Contracts can deserve an F. There has to be some glitch somewhere, either with the exam software or with the printer or whatever. I would be very interested to see if the registrar pitches a fit about the changes to the curve. In a 3.3 curve 1 F enables 5 As.
^:sigh: I hope so too.

Waiting on the prof's reply. :shock:

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Why would you drop out? I'm below-median and will be a lawyer in 12 months. Even if I had an F, it would drop my gpa, but going to a 3.2 to whatever you are at now, can't be TOO BAD. Your gpa is probably what mine is now.

You still have TWO years to improve your gpa. I received job offers despite being below median, including big law.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:42 pm

sparty99 wrote:Why would you drop out? I'm below-median and will be a lawyer in 12 months. Even if I had an F, it would drop my gpa, but going to a 3.2 to whatever you are at now, can't be TOO BAD. Your gpa is probably what mine is now.

You still have TWO years to improve your gpa. I received job offers despite being below median, including big law.
bigTEHRANlaw

MauveDinosaur

New

Post by MauveDinosaur » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:22 pm

sparty99 wrote:Why would you drop out? I'm below-median and will be a lawyer in 12 months. Even if I had an F, it would drop my gpa, but going to a 3.2 to whatever you are at now, can't be TOO BAD. Your gpa is probably what mine is now.

damn, nice work son. what school?
Last edited by MauveDinosaur on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:25 pm

MauveDinosaur wrote:

damn, nick work son. what school?
A Top 50 school. When I said job offers, I meant for the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MauveDinosaur

New

Post by MauveDinosaur » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:14 am

^is the summer gig likely to turn into a postgrad offer? How were you able to overcome being below median--family connections, good interviewing, impressive WE, etc.?

MauveDinosaur

New

Post by MauveDinosaur » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:55 pm

stillwater wrote:

bigTEHRANlaw
Huh :?:

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:57 pm

He's Persian.

MauveDinosaur

New

Post by MauveDinosaur » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:19 pm

ahh, gotcha. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:30 pm

cinephile wrote:He's Persian.
RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

MauveDinosaur

New

Post by MauveDinosaur » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:57 pm

*Crickets* from Prof...ugh. :?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:06 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:04 pm

MauveDinosaur wrote:*Crickets* from Prof...ugh. :?
If Prof doesn't reply how long do you have to file with his/her upperups (dean,review board,etc)?
Most schools have official policies on this, with strict time limits.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MauveDinosaur

New

Post by MauveDinosaur » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:13 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
MauveDinosaur wrote:*Crickets* from Prof...ugh. :?
If Prof doesn't reply how long do you have to file with his/her upperups (dean,review board,etc)?
Most schools have official policies on this, with strict time limits.
Not sure re: timeframe for appealing grades. Got an email from the Dean yesterday which said:
"Professor [Dickhead] is out of town but he replied that he will check the pages when he returns."

*headdesk*

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:53 am

Damn, sorry to hear about your predicament, MauveDinosaur. :| Fingers crossed that it's a clerical error...you certainly don't seem like the sort of student who would merit an "F" at a T30.

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:57 pm

If you do decide to drop, out the school and prof for posterity. You really have nothing to lose. GL with whatever decision you make.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:43 am

I'm curious whether OP ever learned why s/he got an F, but I'm too lazy to go through this whole thread. Did s/he ever figure it out?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spaceman82

New

Post by spaceman82 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:58 am

Nope.

MauveDinosaur

New

Post by MauveDinosaur » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:55 pm

UPDATE: Dropped the fuck out and moving on. Hasta la vista, suckers! 8)

Oh, and still don't feel comfortable completely outing myself. I'll just say that the T30 is one of BU/BC. Stay away from those overpriced TTTrap schools! :P

Thanks again for all the support, bros...

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:56 pm

MauveDinosaur wrote:UPDATE: Dropped the fuck out and moving on. Hasta la vista, suckers! 8)

Oh, and still don't feel comfortable completely outing myself. I'll just say that the T30 is one of BU/BC. Stay away from those overpriced TTTrap schools! :P

That takes a lot of courage. Congrats on the decision and good luck

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:10 pm

MauveDinosaur wrote:UPDATE: Dropped the fuck out and moving on. Hasta la vista, suckers! 8)

Odd thing to say, but congrats. I'm sure that wasn't easy to do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Congrats. Did you ever find out why you got the F? Just curious.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Good for you. Good luck!

Moves like JAGger

New

Post by Moves like JAGger » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:52 am

soaponarope wrote:
rad law wrote:
soaponarope wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Would you care to go in depth about what you did wrong so at least us 0Ls can try to learn from your mistakes?

Read newb: OP clearly states, "I don't know how it happened. Still dumbfounded."

Edit: Anyway, OP you go to a top law school. A little adversity and you're just going to quit? If becoming a lawyer is your dream, your passion, then buckle that f'ing chin strap and get to it. As cliche as this may sound, when there is a will there is a way. Retake the class, beg the prof, challenge the grade, just do everything in your power to fix this shit. And even if you can't... remember, they still call the last guy who graduates in your class a lawyer.
Debts brother.
Most of us are similarly situated in debt. Law students are always thinking in the short term (I'm guilty of it). But, most firms do not care about your grades after X amount of years in practice. Also, if you have below a 3.0 ya don't put that shit on your resume so it's not like OP will be singled out in the job hunt amongst a majority of his peers. Plus, he goes to a top 25 school... that alone is validation that OP has a brain.

Yea, the safe route is to drop out... but, if you truly want to practice law you will always wonder what if. I feel for the OP. I too would sincerely consider dropping out.
This.

Also -- in the event you are required to provide transcripts and evidence of your GPA, assuming that the rest of your grades are in order, you will have a chance to explain the aberration. If it's truly an aberration, I think you will be entitled to (and get) some understanding. Obviously this will not be the case as much at OCI as it will be among PI firms, but you should remember that the people hiring are human. If you've got the softs and the desire to be a lawyer, I say roll up your sleeves and get back in the game.

I would also speculate that if you're a 1L right now that you will be facing less competition upon graduation. About a year ago, I remember hearing that LS admissions were down 30% across the board. Imagine if this trend continues. There are fewer people going to law school and fewer people graduating each year which should mean fewer lawyers. The the number of available positions stays the same, there's going to be shorter supply and thus you will be more competitive. Obviously this is speculation but perhaps worth considering -- changes my be on the horizon.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you. You'll be fine no matter what.

edit: Realized you've made the decision. Good luck to you!

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:15 am

Moves like JAGger wrote: I would also speculate that if you're a 1L right now that you will be facing less competition upon graduation. About a year ago, I remember hearing that LS admissions were down 30% across the board. Imagine if this trend continues. There are fewer people going to law school and fewer people graduating each year which should mean fewer lawyers. The the number of available positions stays the same, there's going to be shorter supply and thus you will be more competitive. Obviously this is speculation but perhaps worth considering -- changes my be on the horizon.
I feel the need to add to this bit. Yeah it is true there are fewer people competing for the same jobs, but the recent BLS said the decline in NEED for legal jerbs is falling equally (there is a continuing statistic that says only 50% of you and your law school buds will get any legal job, period). Also add in that while a lot of unemployed grads on this website wash out or claim to, I know a LOT of c/0 2011-2013 peeps who working PT at volunteer legal clinics, doc review (until Recommind obliterates all of these jobs), and other stuff so as to make them competitive for entry level gigs. Yes there is arguably less competition for OCI and such... but if you notice these firms are also hiring WAY fewer SAs than before.

All I am sayin' is do not buy into the whole "fewer students = moar jobs for u guys" line that the deans are pushing on you. It is at best wrong and at worst a misrepresentation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”