Got an F - Dropping out.... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Got an F - Dropping out....

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:50 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Good luck man. You can do it. That prof is a jerk.
Sometimes when a person fails it is the persons fault.................. if someone is the only F in a class they need to ask "why not the rest of the class?" Responsibility for ones own actions is a lost art.
Why do you feel obligated to come into threads and shit on people when they're down? Other than being an asshole?

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Birdnals wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
Sometimes when a person fails it is the persons fault.................. if someone is the only F in a class they need to ask "why not the rest of the class?" Responsibility for ones own actions is a lost art.
I am guessing by your join date that you aren't actually in law school, and have noooooo idea how fucking hard it is to get an F on a law school exam.
I joined like a semester ago, and I in bar prep right now.

I do know how hard it is, thus the need to man up to it.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:51 pm

mr.hands wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:yeah responsibility is always less realistic than a conspiracy theory..........
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man.
you really have no idea how to use that in context do you?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
I am guessing by your join date that you aren't actually in law school, and have noooooo idea how fucking hard it is to get an F on a law school exam.
I joined like a semester ago, and I in bar prep right now.

I do know how hard it is, thus the need to man up to it.
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

Edit: You keep distorting the argument presented (characterizing it as a conspiracy theory) and now you're assuming that OP actually deserved the F (which is what this entire conversation is about). Stop.
Last edited by mr.hands on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:54 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:56 pm

I love how the idea that there might be a reason why one person did worse than everyone else screams impossibility................... "one of these things things is not like the other"

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:01 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:I love how the idea that there might be a reason why one person did worse than everyone else screams impossibility................... "one of these things things is not like the other"
Does it matter the fuck whether the F was legit or not, when the poster in question hasn't tried to duck responsibility but is just trying to decide what to do next?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:I love how the idea that there might be a reason why one person did worse than everyone else screams impossibility................... "one of these things things is not like the other"
yea dude, you sound like a dumbass. where mandatory curves usually end at B-,C+, it would take extraordinary things to achieve an F. I would like to offer writing an erotic novella, writing I am a Fish repeatedly before passing out upon keyboard or attempting an elaborate binary code exercise. You, sir, are a fool and likely go to a TTTT unless 0L.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:04 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Does it matter the fuck whether the F was legit or not, when the poster in question hasn't tried to duck responsibility but is just trying to decide what to do next?
of course it does, for starters on how to avoid repeating it. Putting out a fire means little if you keep playing with matches.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:04 pm

stillwater wrote:
yea dude, you sound like a dumbass. where mandatory curves usually end at B-,C+, it would take extraordinary things to achieve an F. I would like to offer writing an erotic novella, writing I am a Fish repeatedly before passing out upon keyboard or attempting an elaborate binary code exercise. You, sir, are a fool and likely go to a TTTT unless 0L.
You are saying my point and just don't get it. It is fucked up and rare, so one must ask WHY ME???

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
of course it does, for starters on how to avoid repeating it. Putting out a fire means little if you keep playing with matches.
You're shitting all over the poster by saying s/he doesn't want to take responsibility for the grade, without any evidence thereof. You should go away.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
stillwater wrote:
You are saying my point and just don't get it. It is fucked up and rare, so one must ask WHY ME???
Saying "one must ask" is irrebuttable proof you are an insufferable douche.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:00 am

Regardless of your views on psychology, don't you think it's sort of insensitive to be clogging up OP's thread when he's in such a scary situation?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MauveDinosaur

New

Post by MauveDinosaur » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:50 am

thelawdoctor...do any of my posts remotely indicate that I ever attempted to evade responsibility for the grade or that I would continue to, as you say, "play with matches"? That exam was certainly not one of my finer moments, but I did feel like I made a good faith effort to answer the questions (as did the OP), which is why I am so baffled, since schools at the range I attend usu. have curves that bottom out in the "C" range.

Thanks to all others for the support and suggestions. :)

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:32 pm

MauveDinosaur wrote:thelawdoctor...do any of my posts remotely indicate that I ever attempted to evade responsibility for the grade or that I would continue to, as you say, "play with matches"? That exam was certainly not one of my finer moments, but I did feel like I made a good faith effort to answer the questions (as did the OP), which is why I am so baffled, since schools at the range I attend usu. have curves that bottom out in the "C" range.

Regardless of what you call it, if you keep doing the same thing that created the result...............there you go.

Thinking you aren't on fire when you are is even worse.

MauveDinosaur

New

Post by MauveDinosaur » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Ummm...if I didn't think I was "on fire" as you put it, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to make a panicky post asking what to do about this crappy predicament in the first place.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:47 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
The same logic can be used against someone calling the Prof a jerk then huh?
No, because an F is generally discretionary (absent weird circumstances like plagiarism or cheating or whatever). So if you give an F, you're doing it just to fuck up a person's life and you certainly aren't required to do so. Might as well just give the kid a C or C-. There's no reason to ever give an F in law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:11 pm

MauveDinosaur wrote:thelawdoctor...do any of my posts remotely indicate that I ever attempted to evade responsibility for the grade or that I would continue to, as you say, "play with matches"? That exam was certainly not one of my finer moments, but I did feel like I made a good faith effort to answer the questions (as did the OP), which is why I am so baffled, since schools at the range I attend usu. have curves that bottom out in the "C" range.

That low of a curve kind of blows my mind. So the curve is a 'C' and a 'C' = 2.0 and a 1.9 = GTFO.

If you fall a touch below your classmates (which is seemingly not hard to do and still know the material) on every exam, 1 or 2 semesters, then you're out? Oppose to just sitting on a low GPA for falling below.

MauveDinosaur

New

Post by MauveDinosaur » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Huh? The curve at my T30 is a 3.2ish for 1L. The very bottom of the curve is like a C+, which is why I'm so damn flabbergasted.

mjj

New

Post by mjj » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:59 pm

MauveDinosaur wrote:Umm...so I've been scouring the forums over the past day or so to find a TLS'er who experienced a similar predicament. Unfortunately, this thread has become painfully, horrifyingly relevant to my needs. I'm a T30 rising 2L and just found out I got an "F" in one of my classes. :shock: :oops: I felt mediocre about the exam (which was taken in the wake of my dad getting into a serious car accident :( ) but I never in my wildest dreams would have envisioned this happening, esp. since profs at the caliber of schools I attend typically don't fail students who put forth a good faith effort--which I thought I did.

I was informed by the Dean that I would have to retake the course, which would erase the "F" from my transcript, but I could not receive anything higher than a "C" on the retaken exam. This is a TOTAL aberration compared to the rest of my transcript. I ended up with a B/B+ average the fall semester, which was not terrible considering my career goals (total bleeding heart PI gunner here; not interested in BigLaw in the slightest) I did get an "A" in Ks, so I obviously have the potential to succeed. I also desire a career in law and have absolutely LOVED the pro bono work I did last year and my summer gig so far, which makes the situation even more difficult--if I despised the study and practice of law, I would have cut my losses and left without hesitation.

Please help...I've been like numb for the past 24 hours from the shock... :cry:
Sorry about your dad, I hope he's okay. :(

Does your school have a retroactive P/NP option (as in - you get the option to change one course to P/NP after seeing the grade)? If so, could you retake the class and then apply your retro-P/NP to correct the C?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Last edited by BlueLotus on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mjj

New

Post by mjj » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:31 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
mjj wrote:Yeah he's doing fine now. Car was completely totaled, and looking at the photos from the accident scene, it really was amazing that he survived.
My little brother had an accident like that a few years ago. Hit the median going 80 on the PA Turnpike, flipped the car five times, broke his finger. Everything in his car (several very expensive guitars and amps, he majored in jazz guitar) were completely fine.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:44 pm

At first glance I didn't see the space between "F" and "-" and thought you it said you got an "F-"... and I thought "Damn that's a bad grade".

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:19 pm

MauveDinosaur wrote:Huh? The curve at my T30 is a 3.2ish for 1L. The very bottom of the curve is like a C+, which is why I'm so damn flabbergasted.
Just think that dropping out will make you better off than 60% of your class, so even though you lost you're a winner :)

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:43 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:At first glance I didn't see the space between "F" and "-" and thought you it said you got an "F-"... and I thought "Damn that's a bad grade".
I thought that too, but then thought, nah that's too "saved by bell"ish.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”