Read "Law School Exams: Preparing and Writing to Win"?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TheFutureLawyer

Read "Law School Exams: Preparing and Writing to Win"?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun May 29, 2011 12:15 am

Anyone read "Law School Exams: Preparing and Writing to Win" by Calleros? Already read GTM, and am reading "Garner on Language and Writing" cause I got nothing better to do (so far it's a good read). He recommended the book near the beginning. I'm thinking about going through LEEWS also.

liLtuneChi

Re: Read "Law School Exams: Preparing and Writing to Win"?

Postby liLtuneChi » Sun May 29, 2011 2:01 am

I never read any of those books and ended up doing fine 1L year.

I would suggest just relaxing and reading some novels or other books you like. Cause once 1L year starts you won't be able to read anything else and you'll have enough law related stuff to satisfy any boredom you may suffer from.

Just relax and chill. Everything you need to do well in law school will be there when classes start. Just talk to your profs about what makes a strong exam answer and they'll tell you what they're looking for in their exams. Then just apply what they say and you should be fine.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun May 29, 2011 8:49 am

I am and have been for some time relaxed and reading good books. I'm wondering if the book is a good read. I understand what you're saying, but I'm not about to be overwhelmed and burnout before school starts again.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Sun May 29, 2011 11:50 am

I hadn't heard of that one, but it sounds interesting, I might have to check it out!

You aren't the only one who wants to read some helpful books over the summer. I read a lot, and I read quickly, (not bragging, it's just a fact) so I have plenty of time to read novels and still have time to read something that might be useful without being overwhelmed or burned out. Thanks for the new suggestion!

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Sun May 29, 2011 1:56 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:I am and have been for some time relaxed and reading good books. I'm wondering if the book is a good read. I understand what you're saying, but I'm not about to be overwhelmed and burnout before school starts again.

if thats the case then go ahead

but understand that it will make NO DIFFERENCE on your performance in law school

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun May 29, 2011 2:02 pm

Has anyone read this book?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun May 29, 2011 2:02 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:I am and have been for some time relaxed and reading good books. I'm wondering if the book is a good read. I understand what you're saying, but I'm not about to be overwhelmed and burnout before school starts again.

but understand that it will make NO DIFFERENCE on your performance in law school

...and how do you know? You never read the book, correct?

Would appreciate opinions from those who have read the book, as I'm also curious if it's a worthwhile read.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun May 29, 2011 4:23 pm

beachbum wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:

Would appreciate opinions from those who have read the book, as I'm also curious if it's a worthwhile read.

Pretty much exactly.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Sun May 29, 2011 5:17 pm

I have no personal experience with this exact book but I wanted to chime in on some of the it will have zero effect on how you do in law school comments...

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
beachbum wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:

Pretty much exactly.

I'm not saying that what I did was the right way because it is 100 percent my belief that different things work for different people. However, as someone who did have some success 1L year I can say that I think a big reason for this is not any substantive prep (which I didn't do any of) but getting a feel for how to take a law school exam. It is true in some part that a lot of what you read now won't really click or make a lot of sense. BUT, reading GTM and doing LEEWS gave me a way to think about and approach my studying heading into 1L year. Just my two cents though.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue May 31, 2011 12:52 am

there's nothing wrong with reading stuff 0L, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. but if you've already read GTM then I would recommend casually reading through the E&Es for torts and civ pro. LEEWs is only mildly helpful, but really focuses on organization whereas GTM is much more in depth. i read everything i could get including Law School Confidential and articles/threads on TLS, and it probably helped me slightly during the fall semester.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:45 am

How about "The Five Types of Legal Argument"? I searched it and it got one or two endorsements from here.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:56 pm

I think I'll probably get Preparing and Writing to Win after I finish Garner on Language and Writing (should be a month, it's a long book and not the only one I'm reading), I'll put my review of it when I finish.

This was not a bump to see if anyone has read this book.

Verity

Postby Verity » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:33 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:

This is not necessarily true. The absence of viable statistical data on this matter doesn't help to affirm the bolded. It could help, do nothing, or harm your performance. There's no way of us knowing which will be the case for OP, or anyone, so OP has to judge him/herself.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”