0L summer prep for 1L summer jobs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
jpSartre
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:05 am

0L summer prep for 1L summer jobs

Postby jpSartre » Sat May 28, 2011 2:20 pm

What if anything can I be doing now to increase my chances of a 1L SA or other high paying, private sector job between 1 and 2L?

I understand that contacting firms is prohibited before December 1st, and that this timeframe corresponds with finals. In order to have a minimum amount of work finding a job during finals, and to still be at the head of the application pack, what should I be doing now? Talking to my CSO?

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3876
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: 0L summer prep for 1L summer jobs

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat May 28, 2011 2:25 pm

A nice guide by vanwinkle: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=107596

Would also like to hear more on this.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 0L summer prep for 1L summer jobs

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:32 pm

jpSartre wrote:What if anything can I be doing now to increase my chances of a 1L SA or other high paying, private sector job between 1 and 2L?

I understand that contacting firms is prohibited before December 1st, and that this timeframe corresponds with finals. In order to have a minimum amount of work finding a job during finals, and to still be at the head of the application pack, what should I be doing now? Talking to my CSO?


CSO won't talk to you til Nov 1.

You could learn how to set up a mail merge. Then you go onto NALP and download the firm data for the firms you want. Then you have to one by one get their email addresses.

But if you aren't diverse, or have some other desired background, I'd just wait until after 1L finals are over. Then make it your job during winter break to apply to everything. Firms, Judges, Gov, PI.

User avatar
jpSartre
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:05 am

Re: 0L summer prep for 1L summer jobs

Postby jpSartre » Sat May 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Yeah, looks like there's not much to do this summer but relax and wait for school to start/November 1. Ty ty

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: 0L summer prep for 1L summer jobs

Postby Cupidity » Sat May 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Judging by the schools you got into, unless you are a URM, you are not getting a 1L SA, we are talking like...2%. Even at T14 schools, for non URM's there is roughly 5% placement.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3876
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: 0L summer prep for 1L summer jobs

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat May 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Cupidity wrote:Judging by the schools you got into, unless you are a URM, you are not getting a 1L SA, we are talking like...2%. Even at T14 schools, for non URM's there is roughly 5% placement.


At BC/BU?

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3876
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: 0L summer prep for 1L summer jobs

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat May 28, 2011 2:59 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Judging by the schools you got into, unless you are a URM, you are not getting a 1L SA, we are talking like...2%. Even at T14 schools, for non URM's there is roughly 5% placement.


At BC/BU?


Damn, I must have forgotten the info on the link I posted. I was thinking that to get BigLaw it was important to get a 1L SA position, but I guess it's more important for 2L summer.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: 0L summer prep for 1L summer jobs

Postby Cupidity » Sat May 28, 2011 3:02 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Judging by the schools you got into, unless you are a URM, you are not getting a 1L SA, we are talking like...2%. Even at T14 schools, for non URM's there is roughly 5% placement.


At BC/BU?


Damn, I must have forgotten the info on the link I posted. I was thinking that to get BigLaw it was important to get a 1L SA position, but I guess it's more important for 2L summer.


Exactly, 1L SA's are almost non-existent. 2L SA's are key to any hope of biglaw. I'm pissed now, I typed out a thoughtful 500 word answer to help OP if they really want to try, but it get wiped and I don't feel like doing it again.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 0L summer prep for 1L summer jobs

Postby traehekat » Sat May 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Research potential employers, maybe draft some general cover letters (some for private sector, judicial externships, PI, etc.), make sure you resume is ready to go. Stuff like that.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: badnewsbears, BrainsyK, valen and 9 guests