Used Books

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Used Books

Postby jjlaw » Fri May 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Has anyone bought used textbooks only to find them difficult or impossible to use with all the marks and highlighting from the previous user? I'm just wondering what people's preferences are and whether highlighting from the previous user can really affect your studying the material?

Re: Used Books

Postby MoS » Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Personally, I can't stand used books with highlighting, underlining is okay. But I know many people who do use used books with lots of highlighting. You have to make a good guess at how it will affect you. I'd say if you can find an underlined used book with minimal highlighting use it, but that requires either knowing the person you are getting it from, like from a law student at your school, or communicating with the seller online, and some aren't that helpful when they have thousands of used books. Descriptions alone are often misleading.

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri May 27, 2011 1:35 pm

I got used books second semester. I didn't mind the highlighting so much (luckily the previous owners stuck to only one color) but I found I had to cross out a lot of stupid comments

Postby jbarl1 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:53 pm

I tend to buy my books online and go for the ones that are "Like New" or "Very Good." That way the damage is minimal and I can still save some money.

Postby Geist13 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:57 pm

I thought that I couldn't stand used textbooks. However, I ended up getting one used second semester because I found it for 15 dollars (saving me $160). It was not a problem at all. I'll likely be getting all my books used from now on. If you're school has a bookstore that sells used copies you can look through to see exactly how marked up it is.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”