Contracts 1l need help please Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Contracts 1l need help please

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Thu May 26, 2011 10:30 am

Hey, I just wanted to ask about contracts. I'm having trouble figuring everything that's going on with it. I really tony to grasp the concepts better, does anyone have recommendations? Like horn books, tutors anything?

gwuorbust

Gold

Re: Contracts 1l need help please

Post by gwuorbust » Thu May 26, 2011 11:00 am

GTFO and come back when you actually start classes in the Fall. Mod lock plz?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:06 am

gwuorbust wrote:GTFO and come back when you actually start classes in the Fall. Mod lock plz?
If the person goes to my school, there are 1L Contracts summer classes that I'm pretty sure started.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Thu May 26, 2011 11:12 am

keg411 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:GTFO and come back when you actually start classes in the Fall. Mod lock plz?
If the person goes to my school, there are 1L Contracts summer classes that I'm pretty sure started.
never heard of that, but if that is the case then I rescind my request.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Thu May 26, 2011 11:16 am

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Thu May 26, 2011 5:55 pm

I go to Cardozo's May program and am in my 3rd week of contracts.

And people like this asshole above are why law students come off as assholes :lol: . "GTFO" over the internet, nice.

lawloser22

Bronze

Post by lawloser22 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Last edited by lawloser22 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Thu May 26, 2011 6:12 pm

I liked the Chirlestein and Farnsworth hornbooks. I think Chirlestein is better for basic overview type stuff and general concepts, and Farnsworth is better for details and specific questions about particular doctrines. Don't try to read the entire Farnsworth book though, I just used it when something kind of specific confused me. Also ask your prof if he recommends anything. Oh, and I also loved the law in a flash card series for this class (they're basically a bunch of little hypos). I'd recommend them for review after each major section.

Good luck!! Contracts can be fun...I promise.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Thu May 26, 2011 6:17 pm

forty-two wrote:I liked the Chirlestein and Farnsworth hornbooks. I think Chirlestein is better for basic overview type stuff and general concepts, and Farnsworth is better for details and specific questions about particular doctrines. Don't try to read the entire Farnsworth book though, I just used it when something kind of specific confused me. Also ask your prof if he recommends anything. Oh, and I also loved the law in a flash card series for this class (they're basically a bunch of little hypos). I'd recommend them for review after each major section.

Good luck!! Contracts can be fun...I promise.
+1 dead on

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri May 27, 2011 9:12 am

I don't feel like you need a supp for K's, especially the early stuff (I'm assuming you're doing consideratin and the different theories of promissory liability right now), but you should check out Calamari and Perillo.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri May 27, 2011 9:18 am

Best thing you could do is sit down on a Saturday and spend 5 hours watching the barbri guy give a basic overview of contracts. It will set you up with a very nice understanding of everything from top to bottom, and then you can just fill in the specifics from your class notes (as the semester goes on that is).

soaponarope

Bronze

Post by soaponarope » Sun May 29, 2011 3:23 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Best thing you could do is sit down on a Saturday and spend 5 hours watching the barbri guy give a basic overview of contracts. It will set you up with a very nice understanding of everything from top to bottom, and then you can just fill in the specifics from your class notes (as the semester goes on that is).

This. And, obtaining a solid outline from a 2L. There is no better supplement money could buy than obtaining a 2L's outline that is keyed to the class and professor. Of course, the 2L must be a good student for the outline to be of any use.

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Out of all of my classes, my best grade came from Contracts for some unexplainable reason. My advice - Use Crunchtime. That's the "best" supplement IMO. There's no real clear solid one though. Chirelstein is a good introduction, but not that helpful IMO. Also E & E is great for better clarity about contracts concepts. The explanations for E&E are rather long but it highlights the examples really well. Using the BarBRI video lectures or getting the Audio CDs from that professor who does the BarBRI lectures.

It's NOT that bad once you figure out the big picture - 1) Is there an offer? 2) Is there an acceptance? 3) Is the contract valid (meaning is consideration here valid?), 4) If there's a contract that's violated, what types of damages can that plaintiff get if any, 5) what are the excuses that this defendant can use to say hey, I shouldn't have to pay for damages. KEEP THE BIG PICTURE IN MIND AND DON'T GET BOGGED DOWN BY FACTS.

Also, remember to look at some model answers and practice exams from your K prof. That was definitely the key for me to performing well in Contracts

You can do this - trust yourself, study hard and you'll be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun May 29, 2011 4:08 pm

Have you checked out Cali?

--LinkRemoved--

You should probably be able to get your school's password/info from the library...

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks for the comments. I bought chirlestein. I plan on buying casenote brief and e&e. Can anyone please explain afirmative convenant and negative convenants possibly with examples? Thanks

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:46 pm

It's been a while since I have looked at contracts, but an affirmative covenant, I think, is just a promise to do something, whereas a negative covenant is a promise to refrain from doing something. So if A promises B to mow B's lawn, that is an affirmative covenant. If A and B are tenants-in-common, and B promises not to rent his share to anyone else, that's a negative covenant (because B has a legal right to do so, and he is promising not to not exercise his legal right).

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Crunchtime and Chrilstein are great.

Don't bother with the Gilbert's, the K's version is one of the most least helpful supplements I looked at in all my 1L classes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”