2L summer internship....strategies Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
actionjackson

New

2L summer internship....strategies

Post by actionjackson » Wed May 25, 2011 6:04 pm

so spring semester i dropped from top 15% to top 35-38% (uncertain where exactly, they haven't posted it yet). This is obviously pretty poor for a biglaw firm job next summer, possibly not even passing the screening interview, so my strategy needs to shift.

My question is whether is will be easier to get an offer to return for 2L summer at the firm I'm at this summer (assuming they end up seeing these new spring grades because I signed a release a couple months ago authorizing them to pull my grades), or whether I will have better success hitting every job fair possible this summer trying to snag one (low percent of getting one time high quantity of applying may yield one) ?

thoughts? Anyone in this situation or been in it before?

DAJ_Summer

New

Re: 2L summer internship....strategies

Post by DAJ_Summer » Wed May 25, 2011 11:58 pm

Without knowing what school you go to (or ballpark range) or the kind of firm you're at now, nobody could possibly have a clue.

actionjackson

New

Post by actionjackson » Thu May 26, 2011 10:40 am

i go to a top 20-30 law school, i'll be at a regional but large firm (~300 attorneys), does a lot of corporate work, has a few small outposts (5-10 laywers) around the country in non-major cities. Thanks in advance for your advice everyone.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Thu May 26, 2011 10:59 am

umm, try to get a job with the firm you are already at AND apply to other jobs? I do not see what the issue is.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Thu May 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Work your ass off at your 2L firm this summer and the grade drop shouldn't matter. Meanwhile, keep you ears open about possible openings you can get as a 3L (which is obviously going to be difficult) so if you don't get an offer at least you have a head start on the 3L job hunt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 26, 2011 7:03 pm

Moxie wrote:Work your ass off at your 2L firm this summer and the grade drop shouldn't matter. Meanwhile, keep you ears open about possible openings you can get as a 3L (which is obviously going to be difficult) so if you don't get an offer at least you have a head start on the 3L job hunt.
He's a rising 2L aka just finished 1L.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Thu May 26, 2011 7:18 pm

actionjackson wrote:so spring semester i dropped from top 15% to top 35-38% (uncertain where exactly, they haven't posted it yet). This is obviously pretty poor for a biglaw firm job next summer, possibly not even passing the screening interview, so my strategy needs to shift.

My question is whether is will be easier to get an offer to return for 2L summer at the firm I'm at this summer (assuming they end up seeing these new spring grades because I signed a release a couple months ago authorizing them to pull my grades), or whether I will have better success hitting every job fair possible this summer trying to snag one (low percent of getting one time high quantity of applying may yield one) ?

thoughts? Anyone in this situation or been in it before?
sorry to hear this. but that seems like a huge fall... you had to have gotten below median grades in every class for that to happen no? what changed, why do you think spring turned out so differently

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”