Etiquette for Asking Professors for Drafts of Publications

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Corwin

Etiquette for Asking Professors for Drafts of Publications

Postby Corwin » Mon May 23, 2011 8:40 pm

I was looking at the faculty page of a Professor whose research I am interested in (I don't attend his law school). I've found the Professor's past publications to be interesting and accessible and the publication list says another is forthcoming. What is the etiquette for emailing and asking to see a draft of a forthcoming publication? In Engineering academia I know this is ok, but I have no idea what the standard is for law. I appreciate any advice!

leobowski

Re: Etiquette for Asking Professors for Drafts of Publications

Postby leobowski » Mon May 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Just email and ask nicely. The worst thing that can happen is he'll say no.

Also check SSRN, sometimes stuff is available there before Lexis/West.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon May 23, 2011 10:39 pm

leobowski wrote:Just email and ask nicely. The worst thing that can happen is he'll say no.

Ok thanks for the advice. Professors deal with a lot of email and I don't really want to clog up his inbox if releasing drafts never happens. I know which LR the article is being published in, so safe to say that if it hasn't appeared on the LR's website I wont find it anywhere else?

DAJ_Summer

Postby DAJ_Summer » Mon May 23, 2011 11:04 pm

Corwin wrote:
leobowski wrote:Just email and ask nicely. The worst thing that can happen is he'll say no.

Ok thanks for the advice. Professors deal with a lot of email and I don't really want to clog up his inbox if releasing drafts never happens. I know which LR the article is being published in, so safe to say that if it hasn't appeared on the LR's website I wont find it anywhere else?

Correct. But the odds are a professor would love an eager student looking to read his or her week. The absolute worst case scenario is no response, but it's reasonably likely you'll get a copy in the reply email.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”