2L RA?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Geist13

2L RA?

Postby Geist13 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:38 pm

I would like to work part time as an RA next year during the school year. I couldn't apply for any positions for the summer because I'm working in another state. Should I contact professors now, later in the summer or should I wait until the school year begins?

Also, I just got a very good grade from a professor who teaches and writes in my favorite area. When I contact him should I just come out and say "btw I rocked out your class?"

tothePAIN

Re: 2L RA?

Postby tothePAIN » Sun May 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but are RA gigs common in the 2L and 3L years? Is it plausible to work part time as a 2L and 3L?

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:47 pm

It seems relatively common at my school. Not as common as summer RA gigs, but I know a few 2Ls who RA during the year. They carried over from a summer position though.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun May 22, 2011 1:51 pm

ugh, yes? If you want an RA position generally you will have to apply for an RA position. And since each prof hires their own RAs..you will have to talk to them. Often there will be postings on your career site and that is where you will have to apply through. but if you do not see one of those, simply shoot the prof a nice email.

and is RAing possible during 2L year? Of course. but you have balance everything. If you are doing lawl review or moot court I think RAing as well would be pretty difficult. Especially when you consider you will have the pressure of 1L job search on steroids (unless you are offer a position through OCI early on). basically, there are too many personal variable for anyone to give general advice over the internetzs. best of luck though!

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:55 pm

gwuorbust wrote:ugh, yes? If you want an RA position generally you will have to apply for an RA position.

Right. I asked whether I should wait until the year begins or start contacting professors sooner.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Do it now. I already have mine locked up for next school year.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun May 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Geist13 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:ugh, yes? If you want an RA position generally you will have to apply for an RA position.

Right. I asked whether I should wait until the year begins or start contacting professors sooner.

There's no harm in doing it right now. I'd also mention you killed his/her class in the email: "After doing extremely well in your class, due in part to your enthusiasm for the course and the material itself, I was hoping . . ." etc.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”