Should I drop out? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sigh_sigh

New

Should I drop out?

Post by sigh_sigh » Fri May 20, 2011 11:34 pm

OK, I guess you all think this is just another frustrated rising 2L who wants to drop out. Probably you are right. I don't know.

It's been a very hectic year. My personal life has been so screwed. Long story in short, I got divorced...

I'm now in a 2nd tier law school, and I've already got a D on an exam. I'm not sure about others, but I guess my GPA won't be above 2.5.

I'm working on my emotional problems with a shrink, but I'm not sure if everything can work out before next semester starts. I don't even know if it would actually start since potentially I could be put on academic probation. I had been enjoying learning the law before all the BS came up, but my personal life made it so hard for me to focus since then.

Should I drop out?

angua

Bronze

Re: Should I drop out?

Post by angua » Sat May 21, 2011 12:20 am

sigh_sigh wrote:OK, I guess you all think this is just another frustrated rising 2L who wants to drop out. Probably you are right. I don't know.

It's been a very hectic year. My personal life has been so screwed. Long story in short, I got divorced...

I'm now in a 2nd tier law school, and I've already got a D on an exam. I'm not sure about others, but I guess my GPA won't be above 2.5.

I'm working on my emotional problems with a shrink, but I'm not sure if everything can work out before next semester starts. I don't even know if it would actually start since potentially I could be put on academic probation. I had been enjoying learning the law before all the BS came up, but my personal life made it so hard for me to focus since then.

Should I drop out?
If you are talking to a shrink and working through your issues, that's a very good step in the right direction.

Are your finances such that you can handle the next two years of law school? By conventional wisdom, the hard part is over now, and a J.D. looks a lot better on your resume than a dropout. If you enjoy the studies, that could also help with your depression -- giving up your passions is one of the worst things you can do to yourself in that condition.

I don't know what is best for your personal situation -- only you will know that. But don't make any life-altering decisions while you are still in the worst part of your emotional whirlwind. Get a support system, rest up, take care of yourself, and re-evaluate when you're in a better mental state. Good luck.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Sat May 21, 2011 1:50 am

That's rough. If it were me it would probably depend on a lot of things.

1. Good 1L summer job? Or summer school? Anything? I ask because having a poor first year plus no summer job might be hard to overcome...if you have a pretty sweet gig then it might dilute the fact that you did poorly. I mean, in an interview if someone asks why you got a D, you've got a pretty real excuse.

2. Have you received spring grades yet? If you did really well this semester then you might be above the bottom 3rd. I dunno what kind of curve you have and how devastating a D is...

3. Are you paying sticker? Losing a scholarship? Independently wealthy? This ties in with the above, but if things are looking bad for meaningful employment post-school, then going another 75k in debt might not be the best idea.

4. Really still want to be a lawyer, even with all of the obstacles that now stand in your way in addition inherent obstacles to any law student trying to get a job in this market?

It depends a lot on your situation... Be careful though. If after assessing everything you think that there's not a great chance that you are going to be an employed lawyer in 2 years, I would think hard about going into the extra debt. It sucks because you've just put a ton of time/money at significant personal cost, but don't screw it up further by throwing good money after bad.

However, if you have a job waiting for you at a law firm or are well connected or something, it would totally change things.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat May 21, 2011 2:03 am

I think you've already gotten some good feedback. I tend to think dropping out because of poor grades probably is unwise in most cases, unless you are someone really set on biglaw as your primary and only reason for going to law school (which probably wouldn't be realistic for you in any case from a T2). Some bad grades probably won't prevent you from becoming a lawyer (assuming you are able to pass the bar). I think you can eventually still get a law job, but obviously it could be harder for you to establish yourself (and it is hard for even those doing well to get established right now). But I still think unless you are realizing you absolutely hate law, and it really is the wrong field for you to be in, that dropping out on account of grades isn't the best decision in the long run.

sigh_sigh

New

Post by sigh_sigh » Sat May 21, 2011 10:50 am

Thank you everyone. Indeed all these all great feedbacks, and I'll take all of them into consideration. I do have an OK summer job ahead with a judge. This is really a tough decision...

Again, thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sat May 21, 2011 10:53 am

Joe Biden finished 76th in a class of 85 at Syracuse Law.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:59 am

Is the TT located where you want to live? Could you get a job easily if you choose to drop out? What is your debt load like? Is a switch to PT possible?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 am

I.P. Daly wrote:Joe Biden finished 76th in a class of 85 at Syracuse Law.
Yeah, that was 1969. Super cool fucking story.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat May 21, 2011 11:26 am

rad law wrote:
OH SNAP (also lol @ law school class sizes being the size of just one section)

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Sat May 21, 2011 11:33 am

rad law wrote:

ohhhhh yeaaaaaaah......too soon?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”