LR + Moot Court? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
zomginternets

Silver

LR + Moot Court?

Post by zomginternets » Thu May 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Has anyone who has done both care to comment?

I want to do LR regardless of anything else. I do have an interest in appellate work, though, so I kind of want to do moot court as well (mostly interested in writing appellate briefs, not so much the oral arguments). The appellate advocacy course at our school is limited to moot court members only, so I don't know that I would be able to get similar experience otherwise.

Would I be able to do both LR and moot court and have enough time to do a full load of courses and not drive myself insane?

stonepeep

Bronze

Re: LR + Moot Court?

Post by stonepeep » Thu May 19, 2011 7:54 pm

I'm not sure you can get an accurate answer to this question unless you ask only those people who attend your school. The time commitment required to be on a moot court team varies by school.

That being said, at my school plenty of people (including myself) did both LR and were on a moot court team and survived. It can be a lot of work but nothing you can't manage if you are willing to put in the effort.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 20, 2011 12:03 am

Does your school offer an on-campus moot court? Meaning not a team, but just moor court experience on campus?

If you have LR, on-campus moot court still gives you experience and the slightly less prestige doesn't matter much.

Paul Muad'dib

New

Post by Paul Muad'dib » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Stay on law review and take a trial advocacy class instead of trying to do both.

Being on the editorial board of LR is better for your resume than being on a moot court team, and with trial ad you get grades for your efforts. Law review is a time sink and many students find that their grades suffer if they try to pack their schedules with law review and a full course load, so adding moot court to the mix would be difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”