Oh... holy sh*t... Liberty Law School actually does this? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Oh... holy sh*t... Liberty Law School actually does this?

Post by Helmholtz » Sun May 22, 2011 1:38 am

On the brighter side of things: The chances of a Liberty grad actually being employed (after the Bush era) in a position that offers a fair amount of responsibility and power is quite low. Last I checked, something like half of the latest class couldn't even manage to scrounge up some type of legal work.

150 LSAT median + hardcore fundamentalist (really, are there any other types who would even entertain the prospect of going) + a truly crackpot legal education = virtually unemployable

Let me know when Liberty stops being a McDonald's feeder school (I hear their cashier clerkship placement is decent, though), and then I'll really start to worry.

Liberty will always be the WorldNetDaily of law schools, and I think anybody who freely attends such a festering hemorrhoid of hate and general craziness is instantly discredited.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun May 22, 2011 1:40 am

I am now thoroughly convinced that Gideon is running a bit. No one can possibly be that bad at reading comprehension.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun May 22, 2011 1:43 am

Helmholtz wrote:On the brighter side of things: The chances of a Liberty grad actually being employed (after the Bush era) in a position that offers a fair amount of responsibility and power is quite low. Last I checked, something like half of the latest class couldn't even manage to scrounge up some type of legal work.

150 LSAT median + hardcore fundamentalist (really, are there any other types who would even entertain the prospect of going) + a truly crackpot legal education = virtually unemployable

Let me know when Liberty stops being a McDonald's feeder school (I hear their cashier clerkship placement is decent, though), and then I'll really start to worry.

Liberty will always be the WorldNetDaily of law schools, and I think anybody who freely attends such a festering hemorrhoid of hate and general craziness is instantly discredited.
ZING!

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 2:01 am

Lawquacious wrote:An attorney directly disobeying a court order they don't agree with would be at risk of contempt, though I'm not sure that a lawyer who who is found in contempt is per se in violation of ABA standards (I think there is at least an investigation though).
It would not be ABA standards; each state determines the law governing lawyers within its jurisdiction. A lawyer who disobeys a court order is subject to contempt, but the sanction is up to the court, not the bar. Contempt is the exercise of the court's inherent power to govern its proceedings. You can get hit with a fine, jail time; basically anything that the court feels like imposing (funniest one I read was a case where the court ordered a lawyer to copy out, in longhand, an entire chapter of the standard treatise on federal rules governing removal of cases from state court). It's possible that the disciplinary committee could also impose sanctions for the same conduct that the court cited you for, but someone would have to file a grievance or report with the disciplinary committee to trigger that.
Last edited by Gideon Strumpet on Sun May 22, 2011 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

8ballistic

New

Post by 8ballistic » Sun May 22, 2011 2:09 am

I actually found the funniest part to be the fact patterns seeming contempt for "judge-made 'law.'" I suppose that means common law and precedent are disfavored concepts at Liberty.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun May 22, 2011 3:12 am

8ballistic wrote:I actually found the funniest part to be the fact patterns seeming contempt for "judge-made 'law.'" I suppose that means common law and precedent are disfavored concepts at Liberty.
"Judicial activism"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”