How to get LoR from Prof who's leaving

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

How to get LoR from Prof who's leaving

Postby flcath » Mon May 16, 2011 12:22 pm

My Ks professor from last term is set to be the new dean of Boston College LS, and I'd like to get an LoR from him (I made an A in Ks) before he leaves.

[Btw, to head off possible criticism, this is not a bragging thread. I actually am wondering how to do this.]

I'll obviously have to tell him to make it a "generic" letter, but do I have him just email to me, and I keep it and use it when I need it? I've seen ppl use these types of letters, but I feel like it's a weird way of doing things.

Ideally I'd be able to wait until I had an actual job/judge for him to write to, but I feel like it'd be hard to get anything from him when he's dean of another LS.

Tyia.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: How to get LoR from Prof who's leaving

Postby vamedic03 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:54 pm

flcath wrote:My Ks professor from last term is set to be the new dean of Boston College LS, and I'd like to get an LoR from him (I made an A in Ks) before he leaves.

[Btw, to head off possible criticism, this is not a bragging thread. I actually am wondering how to do this.]

I'll obviously have to tell him to make it a "generic" letter, but do I have him just email to me, and I keep it and use it when I need it? I've seen ppl use these types of letters, but I feel like it's a weird way of doing things.

Ideally I'd be able to wait until I had an actual job/judge for him to write to, but I feel like it'd be hard to get anything from him when he's dean of another LS.

Tyia.


Talk to him about it now and he can send it from his new job. All he has to do is write it and his secretary, wherever he may be, handles sending it when needed.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: How to get LoR from Prof who's leaving

Postby flcath » Tue May 17, 2011 7:23 am

vamedic03 wrote:
flcath wrote:My Ks professor from last term is set to be the new dean of Boston College LS, and I'd like to get an LoR from him (I made an A in Ks) before he leaves.

[Btw, to head off possible criticism, this is not a bragging thread. I actually am wondering how to do this.]

I'll obviously have to tell him to make it a "generic" letter, but do I have him just email to me, and I keep it and use it when I need it? I've seen ppl use these types of letters, but I feel like it's a weird way of doing things.

Ideally I'd be able to wait until I had an actual job/judge for him to write to, but I feel like it'd be hard to get anything from him when he's dean of another LS.

Tyia.


Talk to him about it now and he can send it from his new job. All he has to do is write it and his secretary, wherever he may be, handles sending it when needed.

Really?

"Prof. Rougeau, will you please write me a letter of recommendation for any job or clerkship to which I might apply down the road? No, I don't need it now; just write it and give it to your new secretary at BC, and I'll call her up whenever I need it sent somewhere. Thanks."

LurkerNoMore
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: How to get LoR from Prof who's leaving

Postby LurkerNoMore » Tue May 17, 2011 8:09 am

He's going to another school where there are still forms of communication. :wink:

Stop by and see him (or send an email if you missed the window for doing this in person) and congratulate him on the new job, say you/your current school will miss him, and then ask if it would be ok if you contact him in the future for a letter of recommendation when you apply for clerkships/etc.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: How to get LoR from Prof who's leaving

Postby flcath » Tue May 17, 2011 8:30 am

LurkerNoMore wrote:He's going to another school where there are still forms of communication. :wink:

Stop by and see him (or send an email if you missed the window for doing this in person) and congratulate him on the new job, say you/your current school will miss him, and then ask if it would be ok if you contact him in the future for a letter of recommendation when you apply for clerkships/etc.

Is this the way to go? I just worry because (a) we're really not that close, I talked to him a half dozen times throughout the semester and then made an A in the course, and (b) he's not just teaching somewhere else, he's dean. It seems like a major imposition to ask a dean (even your own, let alone another school's) for an LoR.

I don't want to seem ungrateful for the advice (you or vamedic), I just want to balance politeness, getting the best letter possible (favors waiting), and making sure I get a letter at all (favors getting it now).




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest