Strategies for Crim Exam?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
smokyroom26

Strategies for Crim Exam?

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Crim law class was heavy on theory and statutory construction, short on BLL. Has anyone taken a course like that before, and if so, what was your strategy for the final?

I made tables comparing common law to MPC and the other penal code approaches we looked at in class for each crime/topic we covered, and I've been working through old exams (from other professors - mine is a newcomer), but most are classic issue-spotters that aren't focused on statutory construction.

nymario

Re: Strategies for Crim Exam?

Postby nymario » Thu May 12, 2011 12:06 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:Crim law class was heavy on theory and statutory construction, short on BLL. Has anyone taken a course like that before, and if so, what was your strategy for the final?

I made tables comparing common law to MPC and the other penal code approaches we looked at in class for each crime/topic we covered, and I've been working through old exams (from other professors - mine is a newcomer), but most are classic issue-spotters that aren't focused on statutory construction.

My class was this. Teach yourself the law very thoroughly and treat it like a regular issue spotter, but then augment your legal analysis with policy and construction arguments. You're still being tested on the law, even if you haven't really been taught it.

You may well have a policy question (draft a statute, etc...) too, which you'll want to draw on your classroom experience for -- but yeah, use the BLL to the extent asked (first rely on professor provided statutes then MPC/Majority/Minority Views except when directed otherwise)

NotMyRealName09

Re: Strategies for Crim Exam?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Practice actually breaking the law. It will give you a much greater appreciation for criminal law policy, and should help with issue spotting as well. For example, try breaking into both a home and a business during both the day and nighttime, and while you are thieving, try to figure out what crime you are committing. Trick an old lady into leaving you an inheritance, and consider why society should punish such behavior, while at the same time considering what sort of fraud you are committing. Commit some common law mayhem and try and figure out how such a crime would be punished under the MPC. Good luck!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”