Help me decide my summer plans?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

which one?

Poll ended at Wed May 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Public interest
19%
Family friend
59%
RA
22%

Total votes: 32

kcg171

Help me decide my summer plans?

Postby kcg171 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:47 pm

1. Really cool public interest job in a location where I have a lot of friends but will get no money and incur pretty significant costs because of moving/living
(really don't want to say no because I would love this job and really believe in the goal of the project)

2. Job with a family friend's firm in my hometown. Can live at home for free. Will probably get paid something.
(really don't want to say no because the family friend went out of his way to get the job for me)

3. RA with my favorite professor.
(really don't want to say no because i love this professor and will have him again next year, and he does exactly what i want to do if i dont end up in public interest)

I know this is super late to be deciding, but there was a bunch of stuff going on with all of these, and I thought they were all going to fall through for one reason or another, so I didn't think I would end up needing to choose between them.

Thanks for your help!

deadhipsters

Re: Help me decide my summer plans?

Postby deadhipsters » Mon May 09, 2011 8:51 pm

I voted RA. Only in hopes that he writes you a stunning LOR or pulls stings to get you a job. The same could be said of option 2 though.

zanda

Postby zanda » Mon May 09, 2011 10:21 pm

I would do RA and PI together.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon May 09, 2011 10:40 pm

1L summer? Unless firm job is likely to lead to full time employment, axe it. It's too early to be compromising stuff you're interested in out of obligation or for a couple grand.

I agree that the ideal would be doing the PI job and hopefully working out some sort of remote RAing situation. Any chance of that?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue May 10, 2011 2:21 am

Your prof should let you RA part-time while you do the PI job. Dilemma solved.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue May 10, 2011 3:16 am

I'd think hard about the family friend thing. I've pulled strings in the past to get people offers only for them to change their mind at the last minute. I can tell you one thing, I won't pull any strings for those people ever again, I may pass their resumes along but I will not go out of my way for them, nor vouch for them. So be careful before you burn any bridges.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:04 am

PI position that costs a lot of money is probably not a good idea unless your overall loans are low. If a PI job is your target you should look for a PI job in a place where the costs won't be extravagant. You cannot afford to take huge loans even with all the loan repayment assistance you might get. However, if you will be graduating with little to no loans, the PI job might be worth the additional expense.

The RA position sounds good. If you can do it part-time it would be even better. Supplement the RA job with a PI job in your area or the firm job.

Going for a firm job for the money alone is not the best idea. However, unless you find a PI job in your area or somewhere you can live without significantly increased expenses, you should consider the firm job. Moreover, if a family friend went to bat for you, consider your relationship with them before rejecting the offer. How will they take it? How well do you know them? Will you need their help later?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Tue May 10, 2011 8:11 am

Family friend job because it pays, and you already put them through the trouble of getting you the connection/job.

Maybe try and split it with RA if possible?

kcg171

Postby kcg171 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks for the posts.

Unfortunately, I can't combine any of them; that would have been great.

I honestly have no idea which to do. You would think that I would be leaning one way or the other, but I honestly feel an equal split between the three.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:38 am

LSATfromNC wrote:I'd think hard about the family friend thing. I've pulled strings in the past to get people offers only for them to change their mind at the last minute. I can tell you one thing, I won't pull any strings for those people ever again, I may pass their resumes along but I will not go out of my way for them, nor vouch for them. So be careful before you burn any bridges.

I also voted for the family friend because of this.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 10, 2011 10:28 am

keg411 wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:I'd think hard about the family friend thing. I've pulled strings in the past to get people offers only for them to change their mind at the last minute. I can tell you one thing, I won't pull any strings for those people ever again, I may pass their resumes along but I will not go out of my way for them, nor vouch for them. So be careful before you burn any bridges.

I also voted for the family friend because of this.

Yep. Me too. It would be rude not to take a job someone pulled strings to get you.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”