Cell Phones

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Re: Cell Phones

Postby kalvano » Mon May 09, 2011 6:55 pm

DeSimone wrote:
kalvano wrote:
DeSimone wrote:
maxm2764 wrote:Yeah but your response didn't validate his argument so it was disregarded.

See my post above.

I'm not technologically inept. In fact, I'm smart enough to prefer software that functions fine out of the box instead of requiring you to mess with it to make it work.

RC fail. The software works just fine. The ability to customize is what blows the iPhone out of the water.

Customize what? It's a phone.

Also -

Android allows more customization, but make no mistake - you will need to customize it! You can't take it out of the box expecting the phone to be preset the way you want it. After you spend a couple of days playing with it, you will not want anything else.

The implication here is that the iPhone works fine out of the box, while Android requires you to jack around with it.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Mon May 09, 2011 6:56 pm

Out of curiosity, I can download music or movies from i-tunes, to my phone, while waiting for my plane...are other phones capable of this as well?

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Mon May 09, 2011 6:57 pm

kalvano wrote:Customize what? It's a phone.

Welcome to 10 years ago.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon May 09, 2011 6:59 pm

DeSimone wrote:

Welcome to 10 years ago.

If you have the time to customize a phone while going to law school, you're doing it wrong.

Welcome to the poor house.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 09, 2011 7:01 pm

DeSimone wrote:

Welcome to 10 years ago.

That's a very detailed answer. Besides home screens, ringtones, wallpapers, and other assorted personal options, what exactly are you customizing that's so radically different on Android versus the iPhone?

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Mon May 09, 2011 7:03 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
DeSimone wrote:

Welcome to 10 years ago.

If you have the time to customize a phone while going to law school, you're doing it wrong.

Welcome to the poor house.

I'll let you go think about this one. Come back if you would like to compare grades.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon May 09, 2011 7:04 pm

kalvano wrote:
DeSimone wrote:

Welcome to 10 years ago.

That's a very detailed answer. Besides home screens, ringtones, wallpapers, and other assorted personal options, what exactly are you customizing that's so radically different on Android versus the iPhone?

ZOMG THE KERNELZZZ

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Mon May 09, 2011 7:05 pm

BlackBerry for now, but I'm tired of it. The lack of progressive features and useful apps is getting old, and BBM isn't enough of a selling point anymore. I keep waiting for RIM to come out with a more interesting line of phones, and it doesn't. On the flip side, I don't like the current crop of toys masquerading as phones that are out right now. As soon as LG or Samsung releases their projector phones they showed at CES, I'll kick this dinosaur to the curb.
Last edited by kapachino on Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 pm

kalvano wrote:

Also -

Android allows more customization, but make no mistake - you will need to customize it! You can't take it out of the box expecting the phone to be preset the way you want it. After you spend a couple of days playing with it, you will not want anything else.

The implication here is that the iPhone works fine out of the box, while Android requires you to jack around with it.

You can customize practically anything, either through the native Android options or with apps, because Android is so much more open for developers to play with. Maybe I want my home screens to display a world clock, my adgenda, most important work contacts and business apps during the hours of 8-5, but switch to a home screen layout that shows my facebook feed, various media players and a twitter widget at night and on the weekends. Or maybe I want a stock ticker on the home screen, or a slideshow of my (hypothetical) kids, or any one of a bunch of widgets.

Android works fine out of the box too. But you can get it to do exactly what you want and look exactly how you want with some minimal tweaking. (Installing a widget on the home screen is not hard. Even an iphone user should be able to manage it.) You can download entirely new launchers which change the entire look of the phone...on an iphone, you have apps and folders in a grid, and that's it. Woo?

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Well, it can't get any less entertaining than your pedantic and repetitive "4G doesn't exist yet." No, there is no 100Mbps "officially certified" 4G network yet. Yes, there are several future 4G networks in place, that, while not achieving the required speeds to be designated "4G," are a fuck of a lot faster than regular old 3G. (But since that undermines your argument, you've just disregarded it.)

So does that mean I win? If so, you made my argument for me, thanks.

Also, chill out bro it's just a phone.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:10 pm

I had an Android and loved it and even missed it when I got my iphone, that is until I jailbroke my iPhone and can now do everything I was doing on my Android + all the cool Apple stuff that you couldn't do on droid.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:11 pm

maxm2764 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Well, it can't get any less entertaining than your pedantic and repetitive "4G doesn't exist yet." No, there is no 100Mbps "officially certified" 4G network yet. Yes, there are several future 4G networks in place, that, while not achieving the required speeds to be designated "4G," are a fuck of a lot faster than regular old 3G. (But since that undermines your argument, you've just disregarded it.)

So does that mean I win? If so, you made my argument for me, thanks.

Also, chill out bro it's just a phone.

Yeah, you win. You get a gold star. :roll:

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Nice win maxm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 09, 2011 7:13 pm

MAXM WINS!

FLAWLESS VICTORY!

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Nice win maxm

I winz at the interwebz! Fuck law school, I'll just become a full-time troll.

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Mon May 09, 2011 7:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Also -

You can customize practically anything, either through the native Android options or with apps, because Android is so much more open for developers to play with. Maybe I want my home screens to display a world clock, my adgenda, most important work contacts and business apps during the hours of 8-5, but switch to a home screen layout that shows my facebook feed, various media players and a twitter widget at night and on the weekends. Or maybe I want a stock ticker on the home screen, or a slideshow of my (hypothetical) kids, or any one of a bunch of widgets.

Android works fine out of the box too. But you can get it to do exactly what you want and look exactly how you want with some minimal tweaking. (Installing a widget on the home screen is not hard. Even an iphone user should be able to manage it.) You can download entirely new launchers which change the entire look of the phone...on an iphone, you have apps and folders in a grid, and that's it. Woo?

it often baffles me how the pro-iOS crowd paint the prospect of "choice" as such a terrible thing to have to deal with.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 pm

almightypush wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Also -

it often baffles me how the pro-iOS crowd paint the prospect of "choice" as such a terrible thing to have to deal with.

Well, when you're dealing with the 14-year-old girl mentality of "ZOMG I MUST HAVE EXACTLY WHAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS OR I WILL DIEEEEE," choice is scary. You might end up with a phone not exactly like your BFF's.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 09, 2011 7:20 pm

almightypush wrote:it often baffles me how the pro-iOS crowd paint the prospect of "choice" as such a terrible thing to have to deal with.

No one is painting "choice" in any type of negative light. In fact, it's the Android people that have been most negative in here, full-on bashing iOS for any perceived slight against them. They act like iOS fucked their sister and didn't call her the next day. Compensating for something, I suppose.

As for all that stuff above, that's fantastic. I know maybe one person who would actually do all that. Everyone else wants to plug it in and go.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Mon May 09, 2011 7:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Well, when you're dealing with the 14-year-old girl mentality of "ZOMG I MUST HAVE EXACTLY WHAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS OR I WILL DIEEEEE," choice is scary. You might end up with a phone not exactly like your BFF's.

like so true!

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Rinkrat is so mad he lost.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Rinkrat is so mad he lost.

Rinkrat is a girl, and not mad, just bored at work.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Why does it matter what type of phone you have? As long as my phone can text/make calls, Im good.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:25 pm

This thread reminds me of a GULC vs. Cornell thread.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:Rinkrat is so mad he lost.

Rinkrat is a girl, and not mad, just bored at work.

A/S/L

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 pm

dr123 wrote:Why does it matter what type of phone you have? As long as my phone can text/make calls, Im good.

In that case, this is my recommendation:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”