Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby kalvano » Thu May 05, 2011 2:24 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:Stainless steel bands are gross. Go leather. Get one in Black and one in Brown. If you want to wear a watch that is because they aren't necessary.



Most heartily disagree. Leather is ridiculously hot and uncomfortable.


Valid points. I'm strictly going by appearance and there's clearly no right or wrong answer.



For me, it also helps because my wedding ring is platinum, so it sort of matches the steel band.

I think there is also a difference in a nice watch's steel band (TAG, Breitling, etc.) and a Fossil steel band. I know there sure is in the way it feels.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby Mike12188 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:27 pm

kalvano wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:Stainless steel bands are gross. Go leather. Get one in Black and one in Brown. If you want to wear a watch that is because they aren't necessary.



Most heartily disagree. Leather is ridiculously hot and uncomfortable.


Valid points. I'm strictly going by appearance and there's clearly no right or wrong answer.



For me, it also helps because my wedding ring is platinum, so it sort of matches the steel band.

I think there is also a difference in a nice watch's steel band (TAG, Breitling, etc.) and a Fossil steel band. I know there sure is in the way it feels.


You will still have stainless on the face. Or platinum.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby SemperLegal » Thu May 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Everyone's got an opinion on what a good watch is since everyone dresses different and wants to project a slightly different image.

Get a watch that you like, you will get used to wearing it in a week and feel naked without it. Stainless steel goes with everything, black leather goes nearly with everything (especially if you can easily change bands.) Things like gold, white, patterned, and jeweled watches are probally way to showy and may take actual fashion skills we all lack to match.

You can get a stainless steel Casio analog with a digital inlay/timer for like $50.00 that may not look expensive, but will not look cheap to anyone you are likely to be working with (unless you represent Swatch or work closely with a partner).

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby kalvano » Thu May 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Mike12188 wrote:You will still have stainless on the face. Or platinum.



Do what now?

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby Mike12188 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:35 pm

kalvano wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:You will still have stainless on the face. Or platinum.



Do what now?


Not the face...the case/bezel. I'm assuming thats what you're confused about

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby kalvano » Thu May 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:You will still have stainless on the face. Or platinum.



Do what now?


Not the face...the case/bezel. I'm assuming thats what you're confused about



No, I'm confused by the sentiment or idea you are trying to convey.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby SemperLegal » Thu May 05, 2011 2:37 pm

kalvano wrote:
For me, it also helps because my wedding ring is platinum, so it sort of matches the steel band.

I think there is also a difference in a nice watch's steel band (TAG, Breitling, etc.) and a Fossil steel band. I know there sure is in the way it feels.


Good point, if OP wears any other jewelry he should follow this chart:

OP Wears ___ ...............................OP Should ____
1. Wedding ring..............................Let his wife pick out a watch.
2. Domestic Partnership Ring.............Be a better sterotype.
3. Class Ring..................................Take that stupid thing off.
4. Medical bracelet..........................Try to match it.
5. Gold chains................................Move back to NJ or 1992

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby Mike12188 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:38 pm

kalvano wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:You will still have stainless on the face. Or platinum.



Do what now?


Not the face...the case/bezel. I'm assuming thats what you're confused about



No, I'm confused by the sentiment or idea you are trying to convey.


Oh. You said you like stainless because it matches wedding band. I was just pointing out that leather ones will too as long as you don't get a yellow gold case

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby kalvano » Thu May 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Oh. You said you like stainless because it matches wedding band. I was just pointing out that leather ones will too as long as you don't get a yellow gold case



Ah. That makes more sense.

jdhonest
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby jdhonest » Thu May 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Why do you need a watch when the computer your chained to has a display of the time?
If your meeting with a senior associate/partner, it will be in their office with a clock expensive enough to pay off your loans (but don't get you hopes up).

Court? Client meetings? Pshh....OP said the "legal profession" not Ally McBeal .

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
kalvano wrote:
For me, it also helps because my wedding ring is platinum, so it sort of matches the steel band.

I think there is also a difference in a nice watch's steel band (TAG, Breitling, etc.) and a Fossil steel band. I know there sure is in the way it feels.


Good point, if OP wears any other jewelry he should follow this chart:

OP Wears ___ ...............................OP Should ____
1. Wedding ring..............................Let his wife pick out a watch.
2. Domestic Partnership Ring.............Be a better sterotype.
3. Class Ring..................................Take that stupid thing off.
4. Medical bracelet..........................Try to match it.
5. Gold chains................................Move back to NJ or 1992


Lol @ this. Good chart :-)

smittytron3k
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby smittytron3k » Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 pm

I think a watch is a good investment (I'm one of those people who feel totally naked without one). A nice metal watch (stainless steel/titanium) with a sapphire crystal will set you back several hundred (less if you're savvy) and will last you a decade or more. I have a titanium Swiss Army watch with a sapphire crystal and wear it with everything. I'm probably going to upgrade to a TAG (best balance between quality and price among high-end watches, IMO) when I graduate, but I'd be happy wearing this one for the rest of my life if it came to that.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby Renzo » Thu May 05, 2011 9:17 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
Good point, if OP wears any other jewelry he should follow this chart:

OP Wears ___ ...............................OP Should ____
1. Wedding ring..............................Let his wife pick out a watch.
2. Domestic Partnership Ring.............Be a better sterotype.
3. Class Ring..................................Take that stupid thing off.
4. Medical bracelet..........................Try to match it.
5. Gold chains................................Move back to NJ or 1992


This is the only post in this thread that didn't make me want to slap someone. Other than my own, of course.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby kalvano » Thu May 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Renzo wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
Good point, if OP wears any other jewelry he should follow this chart:

OP Wears ___ ...............................OP Should ____
1. Wedding ring..............................Let his wife pick out a watch.
2. Domestic Partnership Ring.............Be a better sterotype.
3. Class Ring..................................Take that stupid thing off.
4. Medical bracelet..........................Try to match it.
5. Gold chains................................Move back to NJ or 1992


This is the only post in this thread that didn't make me want to slap someone. Other than my own, of course.



But I'm pretty sure your post made me want to slap you, which cancels everything out.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby Renzo » Thu May 05, 2011 9:25 pm

kalvano wrote:
Renzo wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
Good point, if OP wears any other jewelry he should follow this chart:

OP Wears ___ ...............................OP Should ____
1. Wedding ring..............................Let his wife pick out a watch.
2. Domestic Partnership Ring.............Be a better sterotype.
3. Class Ring..................................Take that stupid thing off.
4. Medical bracelet..........................Try to match it.
5. Gold chains................................Move back to NJ or 1992


This is the only post in this thread that didn't make me want to slap someone. Other than my own, of course.



But I'm pretty sure your post made me want to slap you, which cancels everything out.



No, it just means we're gonna get all Three Stooges up in here!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby kalvano » Thu May 05, 2011 9:28 pm

Renzo wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Renzo wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
Good point, if OP wears any other jewelry he should follow this chart:

OP Wears ___ ...............................OP Should ____
1. Wedding ring..............................Let his wife pick out a watch.
2. Domestic Partnership Ring.............Be a better sterotype.
3. Class Ring..................................Take that stupid thing off.
4. Medical bracelet..........................Try to match it.
5. Gold chains................................Move back to NJ or 1992


This is the only post in this thread that didn't make me want to slap someone. Other than my own, of course.



But I'm pretty sure your post made me want to slap you, which cancels everything out.



No, it just means we're gonna get all Three Stooges up in here!



Oddly enough, my Glannon Guide to Civ Pro, which I am desperately burning through right now, is using Larry, Curly, and Moe as examples in the chapter I am reading.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby Marionberry » Thu May 05, 2011 9:46 pm

I think a nice watch looks nice. Necessary? Probably not. But it's one of the few pieces of jewelry (the only one?) besides a wedding ring that a man should wear. Citizen for now, but one day I'll have a Panerai and an Omega, hopefully.

Image

Image
Last edited by Marionberry on Thu May 05, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu May 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Those are some damn expensive watches. Any recommendations in the $200-$300 range? Got enough debt from this stupid profession to worry about.

User avatar
Kurt Cobain
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu May 05, 2011 9:52 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:I plan on wearing a clock instead.

--ImageRemoved--


Hahaha, knew this was coming when I saw the thread.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby Marionberry » Thu May 05, 2011 9:55 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Those are some damn expensive watches. Any recommendations in the $200-$300 range? Got enough debt from this stupid profession to worry about.


ha, I agree. Here's what I wear, and I really like it.


--ImageRemoved--

http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp? ... d=10771731

It's pretty simple, the face is a bit on the large side (seems to be the case with most new watches) but I have bigger hands so it works for me. Nice and thin, with a sapphire crystal and it automatically sets time and date to the atomic clock, so it never needs to be reset. Also, eco-drive so no need for batteries.

Oh, and they can be had for around $250.

I feel like you get more for your money with an eco-drive, and especially one that sync with the atomic clock and a sapphire crystal, than you do with comparably priced brands,.

dougroberts
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby dougroberts » Thu May 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Movado Museums are nice, but not practical.

I saw this in the store last week when I was perusing watches: Baume Mercier Classima Executive (comes in black and brown leather), and is the thinnest watch I've seen (about 5mm, whereas others are 8-11mm), so slips easily under your dress shirt:

http://www.amazon.com/Baume-Mercier-885 ... B0040M4ANM

Image

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby Mike12188 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:48 pm

dougroberts wrote:Movado Museums are nice, but not practical.

I saw this in the store last week when I was perusing watches: Baume Mercier Classima Executive (comes in black and brown leather), and is the thinnest watch I've seen (about 5mm, whereas others are 8-11mm), so slips easily under your dress shirt:

http://www.amazon.com/Baume-Mercier-885 ... B0040M4ANM

Image


I was looking at those last time I was shopping for a watch. Really nice. Cartier Ronde de solo is just as thin, which I liked a little more. Both brands are owned by the same company and they are very similar watches.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:01 pm

dougroberts wrote:Movado Museums are nice, but not practical.

I saw this in the store last week when I was perusing watches: Baume Mercier Classima Executive (comes in black and brown leather), and is the thinnest watch I've seen (about 5mm, whereas others are 8-11mm), so slips easily under your dress shirt:

http://www.amazon.com/Baume-Mercier-885 ... B0040M4ANM

Image


$1k?!? It doesn't even tell the date! This is the feature I use the most LOL.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby kalvano » Thu May 05, 2011 11:09 pm

Image

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby flcath » Thu May 05, 2011 11:33 pm

--ImageRemoved--




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: peger, sprinx, wg6524 and 5 guests