Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chrisbru

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby chrisbru » Tue May 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:I didn't wear a watch during OCI or other interviews. 9 callbacks, 5 offers.

I don't think anyone is claiming that you need one to get a job, or to look professional. We are merely commenting on the usefulness of a watch at work, and our perception of people who pull out cell phones in the middle of meetings or conversations.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Tue May 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't like Citizens and Seikos?

On a budget my preference would go something like: Skagen < Burberry < Mavado

You can get a lower-end Mavado for $595 and it still looks nice:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/movado-muse ... ch/3143162

bigben

Postby bigben » Tue May 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:I didn't wear a watch during OCI or other interviews. 9 callbacks, 5 offers.

This must be flame unless you were top 10% at HYS. Everyone knows that no watch = 50% lower OCI success rate. Almost as bad as forgetting to put your LSAT on your resume.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue May 03, 2011 5:32 pm

lol $595 movados can be had on amazon for under $200 tax free. if you refuse to pay for a watch, just get the museum one that everyone else has with the black leather strap.

but i do wonder about watches sometimes. how does philippe patek aquanaut go for $15,000 and look like a $500 movado? $15,000!

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:34 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Citizen Calibre. $300-500 (depending on sale). I've had mine 4-5 years and it's held up great. Sapphire crystal so doesn't scratch easily. Eco-drive (solar) so no batteries. I wouldn't cheap out on one...I used to destroy watches about every 6-months until I finally spent some $$ to get one with a real crystal on the front.

Also, as posted in the other watch thread...I feel like watches are an accessory. A nice watch can add to your suit the same way a belt does. I don't need a belt to keep my pants up...but I still wear one because it ties the outfit together.

Avoid rubber bands/digital at all costs. Leather straps can be ok but I think they look like a college kid being forced to dress up. Make sure they don't look cheap and replace them when they begin to discolor/wear.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 03, 2011 5:39 pm

I will never buy another watch that is not either a TAG or a Breitling.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Quartz-movements are soooo TTT.

Get into a Orient, entry lvls are 100 bucks on Amazon and very conservative. No frills.

One of those will keep you set until you can get into a Rolex Submariner.

HTH.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 03, 2011 5:40 pm

kalvano wrote:I will never buy another watch that is not either a TAG or a Breitling.

Hublots and Rolex here.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue May 03, 2011 5:46 pm

i got a jcrew timex. <-- one of the worst suckers for marketing ever.

i also got three diff bands so it looks like i have three diff watches?!?!?!!!!!!!!!

will sell my movado for a good price, inquire for pictures. it is sa little girly though, even for my feminine hands

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Tue May 03, 2011 5:47 pm

chrisbru wrote:Not just in the courtroom, but it's really rude to pull your cell out during meetings, especially if you're in a meeting with a partner or higher level associate. Even in my entry-level finance job I would be in meetings without clocks and needed my watch to tell time without being the dick who looks like he can't make it through an hour long meeting without checking his phone.

Speaking from experience, when you are in a meeting with a partner or senior associate, you don't need to know the time. You will be in that meeting until it ends. Period.

Having a watch is 100% a personal preference. Attorneys check their blackberries constantly. There will undoubtedly be times at meetings, even with clients, to discreetly check your blackberry, especially if it only involves hitting one key to have the home screen illuminated as it sits in front of you on the desk/table.

If you feel you need to buy a watch to "look the part," then buy the cheapest watch that looks decent. I would imagine a Fossil watch would probably get the job done.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue May 03, 2011 5:50 pm

bartleby wrote:i got a jcrew timex. <-- one of the worst suckers for marketing ever.

i also got three diff bands so it looks like i have three diff watches?!?!?!!!!!!!!!

will sell my movado for a good price, inquire for pictures. it is sa little girly though, even for my feminine hands

edit: holy shit, i was looking back at my amazon purchases and saw all my purchases from back in the day. LRB. montauks law school book and ivey's book at retail. AHHHHHH. waste of money.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue May 03, 2011 6:39 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't like Citizens and Seikos?

On a budget my preference would go something like: Skagen < Burberry < Mavado

You can get a lower-end Mavado for $595 and it still looks nice:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/movado-muse ... ch/3143162

I also prefer Skagen... I just didn't know how many people would know what the were! I have two watches right now... A Skagen that I wear when I want to look nice, and a Fossil that I wear when I don't care as much/am in situations where my carelessness might end up with scratches on it.

ResolutePear wrote:Quartz-movements are soooo TTT.

Get into a Orient, entry lvls are 100 bucks on Amazon and very conservative. No frills.

One of those will keep you set until you can get into a Rolex Submariner.

HTH.

Lol... I also hate those. Solid color, classic face. I love the Movados with the all black face and only the single diamond at the 12 position. So sleek.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue May 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:14 pm

FYI if wearing a watch with a suit, it should be a leather ban matching your shoes and belt.
Stainless watches should be worn w/ jeans

check out this site for traditional dress tips
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/index.php

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:20 pm

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu May 05, 2011 12:22 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-Diver-Col ... B0006AAS7E

I get a lot of compliments on my Invicta watch. Its not this one, but it was the one on sale the week I bought it. I have a gold watch, silver watch, and a black watch, all three cost me less than $320.

I hate loose ties so I always have a tie-pin or clip. As long as it matches the watch and/or the belt buckle it does not have to match the shoes and belt (IMO).

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Thu May 05, 2011 12:26 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:FYI if wearing a watch with a suit, it should be a leather ban matching your shoes and belt.

Luckily for us lawyers, we don't really abide by fashion rules. These suggestions about following fashion tips are just not informative of what life as a lawyer is really about. Lawyers are about as unfashionable on the whole as I can imagine.

According to this suggestion, OP must now get several watches (not just one) to match his belts/shoes? Or he must decide that today I think I will need to use my watch so I need to wear my black shoes since my watch has a black band? This just isn't practical advice. Certainly it may a good idea to know traditional dress tips, but people don't always dress they way the fashion world tells us to.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Stainless steel bands are gross. Go leather. Get one in Black and one in Brown. If you want to wear a watch that is because they aren't necessary.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Thu May 05, 2011 12:49 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:FYI if wearing a watch with a suit, it should be a leather ban matching your shoes and belt.

???? A stainless steel watch with a black/blue face is the most conservative; appropriate with a dark suit+ black shoes. A watch with a brown band is appropriate with brown shoes+belt.

Posting a link to a random forum doesn't somehow validate fashion advice that is just plain wrong. :lol:

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Stainless steel bands are gross. Go leather. Get one in Black and one in Brown. If you want to wear a watch that is because they aren't necessary.

Guess I'll throw away the Rolex Submariner. Thanks.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu May 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Rolex, Tags, and Breitlings. Looks like everyone ITT's watch knowledge comes from the ads they see in Mens Journal.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Stainless steel bands are gross. Go leather. Get one in Black and one in Brown. If you want to wear a watch that is because they aren't necessary.

Most heartily disagree. Leather is ridiculously hot and uncomfortable.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:17 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

Guess I'll throw away the Rolex Submariner. Thanks.

Unless your older its def not a good look. IMO

Edit: I guess I should admit I do like some non-leather watches, but I think Rolex is hideous.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu May 05, 2011 2:22 pm

rolex's have a weathered stainless steel look, too. it is different from a citizen or seiko. will it make a huge difference if you wear a rolex vs a seiko vs a fossil watch? probably not. i'd still get a conservative leather band though. metal is ugly.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 pm

kalvano wrote:

Most heartily disagree. Leather is ridiculously hot and uncomfortable.

Valid points. I'm strictly going by appearance and there's clearly no right or wrong answer.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”