Must men wear watches in the legal profession? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Pizon

Bronze

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Post by Pizon » Fri May 06, 2011 12:10 am

leobowski wrote:Checking a cellphone is basically a big FU to whoever else is in the room.
:?:

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri May 06, 2011 12:14 am

Pizon wrote:
leobowski wrote:Checking a cellphone is basically a big FU to whoever else is in the room.
:?:
Not a difficult concept.

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Fri May 06, 2011 12:25 am

It's a "WTF?" concept, though. I never saw a guy checking the time on his phone and thought, "He might as well be saying FU to me and everyone in my immediate vicinity!" If he started texting in the middle of a conversation, maybe.

Watches are a thing of the past. I saw an article recently that indicated most people under 18 don't even know what pointing at your wrist means.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 06, 2011 12:28 am

Pizon wrote:It's a "WTF?" concept, though. I never saw a guy checking the time on his phone and thought, "He might as well be saying FU to me and everyone in my immediate vicinity!" If he started texting in the middle of a conversation, maybe.

Watches are a thing of the past. I saw an article recently that indicated most people under 18 don't even know what pointing at your wrist means.

Welcome to the real, professional world, where pulling out your cell phone in the middle of a conversation with someone is extraordinarily rude.

And just because some people are too stupid to know what something means doesn't mean it's a "thing of the past".

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:39 am

kalvano wrote:
Pizon wrote:It's a "WTF?" concept, though. I never saw a guy checking the time on his phone and thought, "He might as well be saying FU to me and everyone in my immediate vicinity!" If he started texting in the middle of a conversation, maybe.

Welcome to the real, professional world, where pulling out your cell phone in the middle of a conversation with someone is extraordinarily rude.

And just because some people are too stupid to know what something means doesn't mean it's a "thing of the past".
Haha +1

Besides I heard wearing a jacket with fur on the hood and keeping stickers on your fitteds are a thing of the past as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 06, 2011 12:44 am

I was in a sales meeting once, and one of the guys pulled out his cell phone to check the time, and our boss looked at him and said "Got somewhere to be that's more important than here?" and threw him out of the meeting, which then cost him a $500 bonus for that day because he wasn't there to learn about it.

He had a watch on for the next meeting.

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Fri May 06, 2011 1:08 am

kalvano wrote:Welcome to the real, professional world, where pulling out your cell phone in the middle of a conversation with someone is extraordinarily rude.

I usually have my phone in hand. But if checking the time on your cell phone is rude, so is looking at your watch. Looking at your watch is potentially worse, because it can suggest you're not technologically savvy.

And it's not that some people are stupid. When most young people don't know that pointing at your wrist means you're asking for the time, it does suggest watches are outdated.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 06, 2011 1:11 am

Pizon wrote:
kalvano wrote:Welcome to the real, professional world, where pulling out your cell phone in the middle of a conversation with someone is extraordinarily rude.

I usually have my phone in hand. But if checking the time on your cell phone is rude, so is looking at your watch. Looking at your watch is potentially worse, because it can suggest you're not technologically savvy.

And it's not that some people are stupid. When most young people don't know that pointing at your wrist means you're asking for the time, it does suggest watches are outdated.

LOL wut?

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Fri May 06, 2011 1:13 am

Pizon wrote:

I think the difference is slight twisting of the wrist to see your watch is less movement involved than getting your cell phone out and checking the time: less disruption, less (imo) rudeness.

I personally dislike watches--they're like glasses, i always forget to put them on

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Fri May 06, 2011 1:26 am

Looking at your wrist is also code for "Hurry up. This is taking too long." Check out Carlito at 0:45 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MM9E4hxi48

If I'm at a meeting, I think I'd rather people glancing at their BlackBerries than doing that. :lol:

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 1:37 am

Why will someone get the FU impression if you check your cell phone but not get it if you check your watch?

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri May 06, 2011 1:40 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Why will someone get the FU impression if you check your cell phone but not get it if you check your watch?
Less obnoxious movement, less chance they think you are checking texts/emails, takes less time, is often undetected, and is a more acceptable motion among the age group that we intend to work for/with.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 1:42 am

SemperLegal wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Why will someone get the FU impression if you check your cell phone but not get it if you check your watch?
Less obnoxious movement, less chance they think you are checking texts/emails, takes less time, is often undetected, and is a more acceptable motion among the age group that we intend to work for/with.
Point taken.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri May 06, 2011 1:45 am

I hope I'm surrounded by fellow SA's this summer who think it's totally cool to whip out a phone in the middle of a meeting and check the time.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri May 06, 2011 3:31 am

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Fri May 06, 2011 3:55 am

Pizon wrote:

What you've just written should worry you.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Fri May 06, 2011 3:56 am

SemperLegal wrote:
Strong, truthful, comprehensive analysis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri May 06, 2011 4:37 am

Ty Webb's last 2 posts:

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:28 am

alumniguy wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:FYI if wearing a watch with a suit, it should be a leather ban matching your shoes and belt.
Stainless watches should be worn w/ jeans

check out this site for traditional dress tips
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/index.php
Luckily for us lawyers, we don't really abide by fashion rules. These suggestions about following fashion tips are just not informative of what life as a lawyer is really about. Lawyers are about as unfashionable on the whole as I can imagine.

According to this suggestion, OP must now get several watches (not just one) to match his belts/shoes? Or he must decide that today I think I will need to use my watch so I need to wear my black shoes since my watch has a black band? This just isn't practical advice. Certainly it may a good idea to know traditional dress tips, but people don't always dress they way the fashion world tells us to.

How hard is it to get three modest watches, as opposed to one expensive one?? A brown, black and stainless steel band watch should be apart of any professional wardrobe. In fact many watches come with interchangeable bands. Stop making excuses for fashionable ineptness. To be honest, the fact that the OP had to ask such a simple minded question along with the subsequent subjective input is evident that the website I suggested is a MUST read.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri May 06, 2011 8:07 am

ResolutePear wrote:Image
If your law firm offices in the bat cave, then this is probably TCR.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:37 am

The Moonwatch is more or less top of the heap for me without getting ridiculously expensive, i.e. staying under 5K. Admittedly this is still a lot of dough, but if serviced and handled properly, you could give one of these to one of your kids.

The only downside to the Moonwatch is that it is not automatic. More generally, the Speedmasters, IMO, are like 911s - they have managed to remain fashionable for decades with minimal updating.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Fri May 06, 2011 9:07 am

run26.2 wrote: The Moonwatch is more or less top of the heap for me without getting ridiculously expensive, i.e. staying under 5K. Admittedly this is still a lot of dough, but if serviced and handled properly, you could give one of these to one of your kids.

The only downside to the Moonwatch is that it is not automatic. More generally, the Speedmasters, IMO, are like 911s - they have managed to remain fashionable for decades with minimal updating.
I don't think OP should go out and spend $5K for a watch, especially if just starting out as a law student -- this is way overkill, especially considering how half the people on this thread do not think a watch is necessary.

OP, if you are going to get a watch (which I too recommend), keep it under $500. Save your money for clothes if you want to spend it, where you will get more points.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:31 am

dougroberts wrote:
run26.2 wrote: The Moonwatch is more or less top of the heap for me without getting ridiculously expensive, i.e. staying under 5K. Admittedly this is still a lot of dough, but if serviced and handled properly, you could give one of these to one of your kids.

I don't think OP should go out and spend $5K for a watch, especially if just starting out as a law student -- this is way overkill, especially considering how half the people on this thread do not think a watch is necessary.

OP, if you are going to get a watch (which I too recommend), keep it under $500. Save your money for clothes if you want to spend it, where you will get more points.
There are others in the thread besides OP, several of whom made reference to more expensive watches. My post was directed at them.

Regarding OP's original question - obviously there is no requirement to wear a watch. Meeting rooms are likely to have clocks, so it is not an absolute necessity, but it is convenient and probably advisable. I agree with several other posters that the Citizen Eco Drives are excellent values and generally attractive watches. They can be purchased for between $280 and $500.

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Fri May 06, 2011 9:46 am

Jesus, I've had a few watches since early college (which was 5+ years ago). How anyone might think checking a phone is less offensive than a watch is beyond me. They should know looking at a watch can only be to see what time it is, and if you've ever seen half a James Bond movie, you should be able to check it without anyone even knowing.

Also, Ty: indeed.

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Fri May 06, 2011 9:48 am

run26.2 wrote: Regarding OP's original question - obviously there is no requirement to wear a watch. Meeting rooms are likely to have clocks, so it is not an absolute necessity, but it is convenient and probably advisable. I agree with several other posters that the Citizen Eco Drives are excellent values and generally attractive watches. They can be purchased for between $280 and $500.
--ImageRemoved--
A classier version than the metal band one I have.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”