Must men wear watches in the legal profession? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrKappus

Gold

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Post by MrKappus » Sun May 08, 2011 8:12 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
usuaggie wrote:I have a rolex that belonged to my grandpa before he died. I used to play with it when I'd be sitting on his lap as a kid, and it means a lot to me. I never know if it is a bad idea to wear it because it is gold and silver, and I don't want to give the impression that i'm showing off. Most people assume it is fake too, I think, and wearing a fake rolex might be the only thing worse than wearing a real rolex when it is not the time to be flashy.

so what do you all think? should i wear it to interviews? or work?
I would never wear a rolex to an interview. The stigma attached to it, and to a young person owning one, is just too much.
Edited because I didn't read the post this one responded to. Apologies.
Last edited by MrKappus on Sun May 08, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Sun May 08, 2011 8:58 pm

usuaggie wrote:I have a rolex that belonged to my grandpa before he died. I used to play with it when I'd be sitting on his lap as a kid, and it means a lot to me. I never know if it is a bad idea to wear it because it is gold and silver, and I don't want to give the impression that i'm showing off. Most people assume it is fake too, I think, and wearing a fake rolex might be the only thing worse than wearing a real rolex when it is not the time to be flashy.

edit: this is basically what it looks like. the face in this photo looks blue, but mine is black.

--ImageRemoved--
This is a fantastic watch and you should wear it proudly. The likelihood your interviewer will notice it is low and if he or she does, they will be impressed with your taste. Also, FWIW I am a woman and consider myself somewhat fashion forward and this watch does nit look old, out of style, or fake in any way. Wear it and know your grandpa would be proud of you.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon May 09, 2011 4:05 am

Renzo wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
niederbomb wrote: Is it necessary to have a watch to complete the business suit look at OCI?
Yes. A fake mustache is also necessary to complete the business suit look at OCI.
Grow a real mustache, you beta.
A real mustache just doesn't have the class and elegance that a fake one does. I highly recommend a fake mustache for OCI purposes that looks like the following:

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon May 09, 2011 4:14 pm

I love that this thread is still going on.

lsatClay

New

Post by lsatClay » Mon May 09, 2011 4:52 pm

I just wear my three stooges watch. Its a great conversation starter. It has Moe hitting Curly on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Mon May 09, 2011 6:20 pm

skw wrote:

edit: this is basically what it looks like. the face in this photo looks blue, but mine is black.

--ImageRemoved--
This is a fantastic watch and you should wear it proudly. The likelihood your interviewer will notice it is low and if he or she does, they will be impressed with your taste. Also, FWIW I am a woman and consider myself somewhat fashion forward and this watch does nit look old, out of style, or fake in any way. Wear it and know your grandpa would be proud of you.

thanks, this is the answer i was looking for :)

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon May 09, 2011 6:21 pm

usuaggie wrote:
skw wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

thanks, this is the answer i was looking for :)
YOU NEEDED THE OPINION OF A *WOMAN*?

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Mon May 09, 2011 6:36 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Renzo wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
niederbomb wrote: Is it necessary to have a watch to complete the business suit look at OCI?
Yes. A fake mustache is also necessary to complete the business suit look at OCI.
Grow a real mustache, you beta.
A real mustache just doesn't have the class and elegance that a fake one does. I highly recommend a fake mustache for OCI purposes that looks like the following:

instant success

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon May 09, 2011 10:04 pm

it has a paint streak on the crystal and people assume i would not have a real rolex since i'm 22 and in school, but you can tell it's real by watching it. it's one of those cool motion wound ones with the sweeping second hand. I love it.
Just FYI: It's a myth that you can tell a watch is fake by the sweeping second hand. The really low quality replicas sold on the street use quartz movements that tick, but even the moderately priced replicas ($100 range) will have mechanical movements that sweep properly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Mon May 09, 2011 10:19 pm

nealric wrote:
it has a paint streak on the crystal and people assume i would not have a real rolex since i'm 22 and in school, but you can tell it's real by watching it. it's one of those cool motion wound ones with the sweeping second hand. I love it.
Just FYI: It's a myth that you can tell a watch is fake by the sweeping second hand. The really low quality replicas sold on the street use quartz movements that tick, but even the moderately priced replicas ($100 range) will have mechanical movements that sweep properly.

i know, but it has the super magnified date too and that nice rolex weight.

the magnifier is what lets you know its real, along w/ the sweep. but some rolexes have ticks too.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon May 09, 2011 10:33 pm

usuaggie wrote:
nealric wrote:

the magnifier is what lets you know its real, along w/ the sweep. but some rolexes have ticks too.
I know this is unorthodox, but I always go to a reputable merchant and if the watch is over a certain amount. I tell them to open the case in front of me to reveal the movement before letting them swipe the card.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue May 10, 2011 11:27 am

usuaggie wrote:
nealric wrote:

As nealric alluded to, there are some really good reps out there, that most people would not be able to distinguish from a genuine Rolex. Check out http://www.rwgforum.com and http://www.repgeek.com, if you're curious.

But as others have said, your watch is real, very nice, and holds a great deal of personal significance to you. Wear it with pride.

coolio

New

Post by coolio » Tue May 10, 2011 6:12 pm

I did not wear a watch on a call-back interview and one of the partners assumed that meant I do not keep track of time and am generally lazy. He was a real charmer. Needless to say, I did not get the job

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”