Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
niederbomb

Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby niederbomb » Tue May 03, 2011 7:28 am

Ever since I needed to keep track of the time, I've had a cellphone. Is it necessary to have a watch to complete the business suit look at OCI, the office?

If so, what kind?

I'd imagine a fake Rolex bought in Asia is probably out. :D

nealric

Re: Must men wear watches in the legal profession?

Postby nealric » Tue May 03, 2011 8:34 am

Very few associates at my firm wear watches. Even many partners do not.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Tue May 03, 2011 8:54 am

If you get a watch, consider a dress watch (leather strap), with a simple face/case. And not something too thick (most watches today are like 9mm+ thick, which is quite a lot when you have a dress shirt on, unless you are a big man). Consider black or brown (most professional in my opinion).

I wouldn't go out and buy a $1K watch though -- that is overborne for OCI, law students, and your first years of practice.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 03, 2011 11:52 am

No reason to wear a watch if you don't want to.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Tue May 03, 2011 2:49 pm

They're a must-have. You don't want to be checking your cellphone in formal situations; it's unprofessional and very rude. Especially in court. Glancing at a watch only implies that you are checking the time. Checking a cellphone is basically a big FU to whoever else is in the room.

A low-key Citizen or Seiko would be a good entry-level watch. Preferably stainless steel band with a black or blue face.
Last edited by leobowski on Tue May 03, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Yes.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue May 03, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm personally a big fan of low-key watches with a black face. Sieko or Citizen would be a good choice for now, then upgrade to Movado or the like when you're earning that salary. Make sure it matches whatever else you have on... So if your dress belt has a gold or silver colored buckle, either match the belt (black/brown) or the buckle.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Tue May 03, 2011 4:06 pm

leobowski wrote:They're a must-have. You don't want to be checking your cellphone in formal situations; it's unprofessional and very rude. Especially in court. Glancing at a watch only implies that you are checking the time. Checking a cellphone is basically a big FU to whoever else is in the room.

A low-key Citizen or Seiko would be a good entry-level watch. Preferably stainless steel band with a black or blue face.

I've a nice Seiko with a blue face. I can attest to how "good" this watch is in a number of different ways. Never overpowers what I'm wearing and it's reliable.

bfaiken

Postby bfaiken » Tue May 03, 2011 4:08 pm

leobowski wrote:They're a must-have. You don't want to be checking your cellphone in formal situations; it's unprofessional and very rude. Especially in court. Glancing at a watch only implies that you are checking the time. Checking a cellphone is basically a big FU to whoever else is in the room.

Agree with this. Something I've run into even in my current profession. There are times when you'll be in a formal setting and want to know what time it is. It's best not to look like a dick by pulling out your cellphone.

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Tue May 03, 2011 4:32 pm

You absolutely should have a watch but it doesn't have to be really expensive--just tasteful. You are billing by the hour, remember? You don't want to look like your are checking your latest text messages when you whip out your cellphone to see if you can bill that extra .25! For guys, a Seiko would be fine, but I would probably go with a black leather strap/faux Tiffany look. The metal bands can tend to look cheap, but it depends on the watch. You might drop some hints for a graduation gift.... Parents/grandparents love to give watches!

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Last edited by 03121202698008 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm

I plan on wearing a clock instead.

--ImageRemoved--

Postby 98234872348 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Hmmm, you guys bring up really good points about looking at your cell phone. Does anyone know of any good brands/styles for girls?

bigben

Postby bigben » Tue May 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Wow. Better rush out and buy one now as a 0L then, because in 3.5 years I'm going to need it for that one time when I go to court as a first year and want to glance at my watch for 1 second, assuming I get a job!

bigben

Postby bigben » Tue May 03, 2011 4:46 pm

niederbomb wrote:Ever since I needed to keep track of the time, I've had a cellphone. Is it necessary to have a watch to complete the business suit look at OCI, the office?

If so, what kind?

I'd imagine a fake Rolex bought in Asia is probably out. :D

Yes, I believe this falls under ABA guidelines 24-6901, 39-6421, and Model Rules of Professional Conduct 1.4(b)(6). Depends on your state, though.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue May 03, 2011 5:01 pm

bigben wrote:

Wow. Better rush out and buy one now as a 0L then, because in 3.5 years I'm going to need it for that one time when I go to court as a first year and want to glance at my watch for 1 second, assuming I get a job!

Not just in the courtroom, but it's really rude to pull your cell out during meetings, especially if you're in a meeting with a partner or higher level associate. Even in my entry-level finance job I would be in meetings without clocks and needed my watch to tell time without being the dick who looks like he can't make it through an hour long meeting without checking his phone.

dood

Postby dood » Tue May 03, 2011 5:03 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Tue May 03, 2011 5:11 pm

bfaiken wrote:

Agree with this. Something I've run into even in my current profession. There are times when you'll be in a formal setting and want to know what time it is. It's best not to look like a dick by pulling out your cellphone.

+1

Seikos and Citizens for me.

EDIT: Everyone in my firm wears a watch, men and women.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Tue May 03, 2011 5:15 pm

I didn't wear a watch during OCI or other interviews. 9 callbacks, 5 offers.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Get an inexpensive decent looking watch and you should be fine. If you are working, you need a watch for the reasons discussed above (meetings/etc). I usually don't wear a watch, but when I worked for 3 years prior to law school I always wore a watch. I'd imagine that the legal profession is no different. You can manage without a watch, but it is extremely helpful.

For OCI/interviewing purposes, I doubt a watch will make or break you. However, a decent professional looking watch is unlikely to hurt your chances. If anything, it will help.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 03, 2011 5:22 pm

Anything less than a Patek Philippe is simply unacceptable.

bigben

Postby bigben » Tue May 03, 2011 5:23 pm

chrisbru wrote:
bigben wrote:

Not just in the courtroom, but it's really rude to pull your cell out during meetings, especially if you're in a meeting with a partner or higher level associate. Even in my entry-level finance job I would be in meetings without clocks and needed my watch to tell time without being the dick who looks like he can't make it through an hour long meeting without checking his phone.

Well, I haven't paid close attention but I think at my firm probably at least 60% of associates don't wear a watch. Since it's more common among older folks, probably 30% or more of partners don't wear a watch regularly. Amazing that all these people are "rude" on a regular basis but still doing just fine! I'm not saying it's not useful, but to call it a "must have" is pretty funny. You're just making your personal preference into a rule.

Also, as far as I can tell this thread is about 0Ls rushing out to buy a watch to commemorate their entry into the legal profession, because they think it is a required "look." Amusing but very silly. The usefulness of a watch to an attorney is a quite different question, which everyone can address for themselves when they start practicing.
Last edited by bigben on Tue May 03, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 03, 2011 5:24 pm

It entirely depends on whether you are in court a lot or not. If you are, a watch is probably necessary as cell phones are a no-no.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”