Con law - 5 thoughts Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrKappus

Gold

Re: Con law - 5 thoughts

Post by MrKappus » Tue May 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Ty Webb wrote:I guess the concept of enumerated powers, when taken in the abstract, could be considered a limit. I.E. Congress is limited to only its grants, but that is a *really* round-about way of thinking about it.
Under this logic, my legs don't grant me the ability to walk, but rather limit my ability to run 50 mph. I liked your other posts more.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Tue May 03, 2011 7:41 pm

Army2Law wrote:Congress still has its powers limited by what it is granted by the Constitution. Meaning, Congress doesn't have unlimited power (even though CC + N&P makes it seem that way sometimes) subject only to limits outside Article I. We're saying the same thing in different words.
The wording in your first sentence is conflating (1) Congress' inability to do something not expressly/implicitly granted to them in the Constitution with (2) The inability to use that power in the way that Congress chose to use it. As stated by other posters, the test in this area requires requires two different analyses.

First, you must determine if Congress has the implicit/explicit power to do something. (Usually McCulloch NP analysis)

Second, you must determine if the means chosen are Constitutional and not limited by some other section. So, as in New York v. US, if Congress wanted to preempt state law and create its own national radioactive waste regulations, it could. However, the manner Congress chose to do this was considered commandeering and unconstitutional. This analysis has nothing to do with whether or not Congress had powers granted.

Edit: typo

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Tue May 03, 2011 7:46 pm

MrKappus wrote: Under this logic, my legs don't grant me the ability to walk, but rather limit my ability to run 50 mph.
You are limited to the power your legs grant to your body. That is a limit. Having to tie any Congressional action to an existing power, even if it is implied from another one (like dormant commerce) is a limit.
"[Certain] comments of Hamilton and others about federal power reflected the well-known truth that the new Government would have only the limited and enumerated powers found in the Constitution. . . . Even before the passage of the Tenth Amendment, it was apparent that Congress would possess only those powers 'herein granted' by the rest of the Constitution." United States v. Lopez, 514 U.S. 549, 592 (1995).

U mad that SCOTUS agrees with me?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue May 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Army2Law wrote:
MrKappus wrote: Under this logic, my legs don't grant me the ability to walk, but rather limit my ability to run 50 mph.
You are limited to the power your legs grant to your body. That is a limit. Having to tie any Congressional action to an existing power, even if it is implied from another one (like dormant commerce) is a limit.
"[Certain] comments of Hamilton and others about federal power reflected the well-known truth that the new Government would have only the limited and enumerated powers found in the Constitution. . . . Even before the passage of the Tenth Amendment, it was apparent that Congress would possess only those powers 'herein granted' by the rest of the Constitution." United States v. Lopez, 514 U.S. 549, 592 (1995).

U mad that SCOTUS agrees with me?
The powers are limited because they are enumerated (i.e., the enumerated list is not infinite). But the enumeration itself is not what one refers to as a "constitutional limit." I'm not mad at you, SCOTUS, or anyone else, but I am blown away by your breathtaking and willful ignorance.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue May 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Are we seriously debating this?

Lets go back to debating between pancakes and french toast.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Tue May 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Nah, u mad.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue May 03, 2011 7:56 pm

French toast.

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Tue May 03, 2011 7:58 pm

MrKappus wrote:Freedom toast.
Fixed. :D

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue May 03, 2011 7:59 pm

MrKappus wrote:French toast.
Pancakes.

Scalia eats pancakes. Therefore, cake pans.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue May 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Army2Law wrote:
Someone needs to read up on his Revolutionary War history. Without the French, we wouldn't have won at Yorktown.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Tue May 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Tonga Toast ftw

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Tue May 03, 2011 8:03 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Army2Law wrote:
Someone needs to read up on his Revolutionary War history. Without the French, we wouldn't have won at Yorktown.
Someone needs a sense of humor.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue May 03, 2011 8:05 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Army2Law wrote:
That is true, but we saved their ass during WWII. Without us, they'd be NAZI now. (sorta-not-really-sorta)

And what did we get for it? THEY CALLED THEIR DEBT IN FROM US..!

(Alright, it didn't exactly happen like that... but smelly and ungrateful nontheless!)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Sorry, but it's exams time. Senses of humor are in short supply.

Edit: that said, I just lol'd at "smelly and ungrateful."

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue May 03, 2011 8:07 pm

MrKappus wrote:Sorry, but it's exams time. Senses of humor are in short supply.
As Hobbes would say: your senses, they are decaying. T'is is okay.

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 pm

MrKappus wrote:Sorry, but it's exams time. Senses of humor are in short supply.

Edit: that said, I just lol'd at "smelly and ungrateful."
Trolling people on TLS is always a good way to blow off steam, haha.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue May 03, 2011 11:32 pm

dakatz wrote:My thoughts on conlaw now that its over.

1. The constitution is treated like a piece of toilet paper the justices use to wipe their asses with as they interpret it to meet their poltical views.

2. To me it's nothing more than supposedly high-minded psudo-philosophy

3. I don't like con law.
That's basically my con-law outline in a nutshell. Every lecture was basically my prof going off on a rant on how illegitimate SCOTUS is and how every decision is basically the court's way of imposing their views on an unwilling public.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue May 03, 2011 11:34 pm

f0bolous wrote:
dakatz wrote:My thoughts on conlaw now that its over.

1. The constitution is treated like a piece of toilet paper the justices use to wipe their asses with as they interpret it to meet their poltical views.

2. To me it's nothing more than supposedly high-minded psudo-philosophy

3. I don't like con law.
That's basically my con-law outline in a nutshell. Every lecture was basically my prof going off on a rant on how illegitimate SCOTUS is and how every decision is basically the court's way of imposing their views on an unwilling public.
Except for Civil Procedure and Criminal procedure and a few other courses this seems to be true of law school in general.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”