How much rote memorization is there in law school?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
blsingindisguise

Re: How much rote memorization is there in law school?

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 am

IMO it's more like nailing down a process than memorization, i.e. you don't so much commit a definition or a list to memory to spit back out as remember how to DO something with facts that may themselves vary -- maybe it's more like running a play in a sport or knowing how to cook enough that you can use ingredients together you've never used before, although those don't seem like perfect analogies. I mean it WILL help you to commit stuff like "duty - breach - actual cause - proximate cause - damages" to memory (for torts -- wording may vary based on prof) or "there's a circuit split on assumption of risk, with x circuit saying y, and z circuit saying a" but that's not where most of the points come from.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 am

Only class where memorization is really required is property. Most classes have broad concepts and open-ended tests that require detailed analysis. Property is like an elementary school vocabulary test.

side note, fuck privity.

Kochel

Postby Kochel » Tue May 03, 2011 9:02 am

It's probably worth noting that the bar exam requires massive amounts of memorization, both because it's "closed-book" and because it covers a multitude of subject areas. Application is still essential, especially for the essay portion of the exam, but you will fail the test easily if you don't work hard at memorizing (or, more accurately, re-memorizing) the rules for each subject area.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:49 am

Cupidity wrote:Only class where memorization is really required is property. Most classes have broad concepts and open-ended tests that require detailed analysis. Property is like an elementary school vocabulary test.

side note, fuck privity.

I drew pictures to figure out covenants for the exam. So more like kindergarten.

flcath

Postby flcath » Tue May 03, 2011 10:55 am

Exceedingly little.

Basic bio has far more, hands down.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:57 am

You only have to know elements of causes of action, prongs in a test, etc. to be able to spot the issues. But you can glance at your outline for details that will help you in your application.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 am

kalvano wrote:
When you say "rote memorization", I assume you mean sitting down for the sole purpose of committing things to memory. You will do that about zero times unless there is a closed-book exam. Most of what people mean by "memorization" will come from reading a ton of cases and taking notes and listening to your professor. Memorization by osmosis, not in a rote fashion like memorizing names and locations of bones or organs for later recital.

The highlighted is an apt description of how I feel about learning for law school exams.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”