If you could do your 1L over again...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby random5483 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:26 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Thread is incredibly depressing.



Law school is fantastic and depressing! The studying around finals is well just plain depressing.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby Grizz » Tue May 03, 2011 12:45 am

traehekat wrote:It's funny, I was talking to someone the other night about how law school is difficult for all the "wrong" reasons. It really isn't the material itself that is so difficult, but it is the way it is presented, the hide-the-ball tactics, the pressure of the curve, the pressure of the economy, the pressure you put on yourself, etc. Law school just doesn't have to be this hard.


Dead on.

Baylan
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby Baylan » Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 am

sneijder wrote:my original question was to 2 and 3Ls, because they would have already fully experienced their 1Ls...but yea I agree, people that are still in their 1L this is a hard question unless you had something to share that you changed from 1st to 2nd semester..


Have you ever been to TLS? Do you ever expect people to actually listen to who you prompt your question for? *cough* 0Ls in the Law School Student's Forum giving advice *cough*

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:00 am

rad law wrote:
traehekat wrote:It's funny, I was talking to someone the other night about how law school is difficult for all the "wrong" reasons. It really isn't the material itself that is so difficult, but it is the way it is presented, the hide-the-ball tactics, the pressure of the curve, the pressure of the economy, the pressure you put on yourself, etc. Law school just doesn't have to be this hard.


Dead on.


Yeah, it really doesn't, and I kind of think that after 1L, for the most part it isn't.

User avatar
sneijder
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby sneijder » Tue May 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Baylan wrote:
sneijder wrote:my original question was to 2 and 3Ls, because they would have already fully experienced their 1Ls...but yea I agree, people that are still in their 1L this is a hard question unless you had something to share that you changed from 1st to 2nd semester..


Have you ever been to TLS? Do you ever expect people to actually listen to who you prompt your question for? *cough* 0Ls in the Law School Student's Forum giving advice *cough*



Yea ive been on here quite a bit.. Any input is good like I said my man.. just chillllll :D if you feel like you can help with input your more than welcome to.. Nobody is twisting your arm though

Baylan
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby Baylan » Tue May 03, 2011 1:22 pm

sneijder wrote:
Baylan wrote:
sneijder wrote:my original question was to 2 and 3Ls, because they would have already fully experienced their 1Ls...but yea I agree, people that are still in their 1L this is a hard question unless you had something to share that you changed from 1st to 2nd semester..


Have you ever been to TLS? Do you ever expect people to actually listen to who you prompt your question for? *cough* 0Ls in the Law School Student's Forum giving advice *cough*



Yea ive been on here quite a bit.. Any input is good like I said my man.. just chillllll :D if you feel like you can help with input your more than welcome to.. Nobody is twisting your arm though


Bolded is why you should exit this forum for the next month or so. It is IMPOSSIBLE to "just chill" right now.

User avatar
sneijder
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby sneijder » Tue May 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Baylan wrote:
sneijder wrote:
Baylan wrote:
sneijder wrote:my original question was to 2 and 3Ls, because they would have already fully experienced their 1Ls...but yea I agree, people that are still in their 1L this is a hard question unless you had something to share that you changed from 1st to 2nd semester..


Have you ever been to TLS? Do you ever expect people to actually listen to who you prompt your question for? *cough* 0Ls in the Law School Student's Forum giving advice *cough*



Yea ive been on here quite a bit.. Any input is good like I said my man.. just chillllll :D if you feel like you can help with input your more than welcome to.. Nobody is twisting your arm though


Bolded is why you should exit this forum for the next month or so. It is IMPOSSIBLE to "just chill" right now.

:lol: maybe for you. Maybe thats why you should leave for the next month? (just a thought)

ive gotten a lot of good stuff, even in this time of panic! Good luck on your finals though man! like I said my good friends are going through it right now and Ive seen how truly miserable they are.. so I sympathize for you all..

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue May 03, 2011 3:13 pm

rad law wrote:
traehekat wrote:It's funny, I was talking to someone the other night about how law school is difficult for all the "wrong" reasons. It really isn't the material itself that is so difficult, but it is the way it is presented, the hide-the-ball tactics, the pressure of the curve, the pressure of the economy, the pressure you put on yourself, etc. Law school just doesn't have to be this hard.


Dead on.


This 100%. OP, I would do this again if I had to make the decision, but even I allow it's sometimes a close call. Law school has changed me for certain, and not always in ways that I've been happy about. I'm tougher now than I was two years ago, and more apt to be suspicious where I would have been trusting. I like my classmates and I am very happy with my summer position, but it's been two years of non-stop pressure to be perfect, as measured by the curve and my position on it. I'm thrilled that PI rejects that system, to a large extent-- my employer never requested my transcript. Dedication and interest in the work are viewed as much more important than class rank, and rightly so. I am damned sick and tired of being a number, and unfortunately, law school encompasses a lot of that.

What can you do? Realize that you are not your class rank. Even if the numbers are good, they can't possibly make you happy or fulfill you if you expect them to build your self worth, and you can feel even worse if you subsequently take a dip. If the numbers are not what you hoped for, they do not have to limit you. There are employers out there who never even ask.

Balance is crucially important. Never give it up, and remember your classmates often feel just as lost and frustrated as you do. During my 1L year, I thought everyone else was poised and fearless and just got things. Then 2L came, and it was like a veil was ripped away! I wish I had reached out sooner about the things that mattered.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby dood » Tue May 03, 2011 3:43 pm

drink more, study less

User avatar
sneijder
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby sneijder » Tue May 03, 2011 4:03 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
rad law wrote:
traehekat wrote:It's funny, I was talking to someone the other night about how law school is difficult for all the "wrong" reasons. It really isn't the material itself that is so difficult, but it is the way it is presented, the hide-the-ball tactics, the pressure of the curve, the pressure of the economy, the pressure you put on yourself, etc. Law school just doesn't have to be this hard.


Dead on.


This 100%. OP, I would do this again if I had to make the decision, but even I allow it's sometimes a close call. Law school has changed me for certain, and not always in ways that I've been happy about. I'm tougher now than I was two years ago, and more apt to be suspicious where I would have been trusting. I like my classmates and I am very happy with my summer position, but it's been two years of non-stop pressure to be perfect, as measured by the curve and my position on it. I'm thrilled that PI rejects that system, to a large extent-- my employer never requested my transcript. Dedication and interest in the work are viewed as much more important than class rank, and rightly so. I am damned sick and tired of being a number, and unfortunately, law school encompasses a lot of that.

What can you do? Realize that you are not your class rank. Even if the numbers are good, they can't possibly make you happy or fulfill you if you expect them to build your self worth, and you can feel even worse if you subsequently take a dip. If the numbers are not what you hoped for, they do not have to limit you. There are employers out there who never even ask.

Balance is crucially important. Never give it up, and remember your classmates often feel just as lost and frustrated as you do. During my 1L year, I thought everyone else was poised and fearless and just got things. Then 2L came, and it was like a veil was ripped away! I wish I had reached out sooner about the things that mattered.


wow! thanks a lot

could you elaborate on the bold?

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue May 03, 2011 4:59 pm

sneijder wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
rad law wrote:
traehekat wrote:It's funny, I was talking to someone the other night about how law school is difficult for all the "wrong" reasons. It really isn't the material itself that is so difficult, but it is the way it is presented, the hide-the-ball tactics, the pressure of the curve, the pressure of the economy, the pressure you put on yourself, etc. Law school just doesn't have to be this hard.


Dead on.


This 100%. OP, I would do this again if I had to make the decision, but even I allow it's sometimes a close call. Law school has changed me for certain, and not always in ways that I've been happy about. I'm tougher now than I was two years ago, and more apt to be suspicious where I would have been trusting. I like my classmates and I am very happy with my summer position, but it's been two years of non-stop pressure to be perfect, as measured by the curve and my position on it. I'm thrilled that PI rejects that system, to a large extent-- my employer never requested my transcript. Dedication and interest in the work are viewed as much more important than class rank, and rightly so. I am damned sick and tired of being a number, and unfortunately, law school encompasses a lot of that.

What can you do? Realize that you are not your class rank. Even if the numbers are good, they can't possibly make you happy or fulfill you if you expect them to build your self worth, and you can feel even worse if you subsequently take a dip. If the numbers are not what you hoped for, they do not have to limit you. There are employers out there who never even ask.

Balance is crucially important. Never give it up, and remember your classmates often feel just as lost and frustrated as you do. During my 1L year, I thought everyone else was poised and fearless and just got things. Then 2L came, and it was like a veil was ripped away! I wish I had reached out sooner about the things that mattered.


wow! thanks a lot

could you elaborate on the bold?


Sure-- I was in a position where I had lived in NYC for several years and had a good support network outside law school (and also friends at other schools), so when I got stressed out about classes, I didn't turn to my own classmates immediately. I pulled back, and I missed a lot of the section bonding stuff in favor of spending time with my friends from before LS. I really regret that, because my classmates are so sweet and lovely! I had so many chances to go out and have fun, and so many invitations I turned down because of stress I put on myself. I paid a high price for what I ultimately learned, and I wish I could go back and relive parts of 1L year. During my 2L year, I realized some of my 1L friends felt the way I had, and I wanted to reach back out and remind them they were not alone!

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue May 03, 2011 5:12 pm

I'd do it the exact same but would have "let my hair down" a lil more. Even though I transferred I regret not knowing many people from my 1L class.

User avatar
sneijder
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby sneijder » Tue May 03, 2011 5:53 pm

good stuff thanks for sharing soprano!

Younger Abstention
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby Younger Abstention » Tue May 03, 2011 6:09 pm

I would drop out before paying my first tuition bill
(rising 3L WITH a biglaw summer associate job)

User avatar
Haribo
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:47 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby Haribo » Tue May 03, 2011 10:09 pm

I would have done my best to never discover reddit - biggest time sink ever.

Also, stressed less about oral arguments.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue May 03, 2011 10:53 pm

Not gone at all. Miserable fucking year.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby Veyron » Tue May 03, 2011 10:55 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Thread is incredibly depressing.


Ghost of Christmas future.

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby forty-two » Tue May 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Not gone at all. Miserable fucking year.

:(

User avatar
rvill7
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby rvill7 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:41 pm

Don't listen to other people!! Develop your own study habits and make sure YOU understand the material...Other people will brag about how far they are in their outlines or whatever, so lame.

Also, if you're close to your family/friends, go to school close to home! You will need the moral support for all the stress you're about to experience.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Just to add at least a little bit of positivity in here:

Some shit I've done in law school has been ridiculously fun. Some classes have been awesome and interesting and relevant. There have been many good times with good people.

As much as I will complain, it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby stratocophic » Tue May 03, 2011 11:58 pm

Would have played more video games, played more basketball, worked out more, gone out more, banished any thought whatsoever of shooting for a 1L SA. 2L OCI and PLIP will come soon enough.

User avatar
Rurik
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby Rurik » Wed May 04, 2011 12:27 am

If I could do it again:

- Not been so overconfident going in (what can I say, it's tough not being a pretentious prick when you've excelled at practically everything you've touched so far in life)

- Listened to other people's advice on what worked for them, but taken none of it to heart (seriously, you could probably find SCOTUS clerks who swore on front-loading the semester and never touching supplements, and you could find others who swore on back-loading the semester and never cracking open the casebook).

But in the end, I'm very glad I am in law school - but that doesn't mean others have completely despised the experience (and going in, it's often not that easy to tell who is going to love it and who is going to hate it).

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby Cupidity » Wed May 04, 2011 12:37 am

I would have taken my first semester grades as a sign to keep up the hard work, rather than a license to get drunk and fuck around.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed May 04, 2011 2:03 am

prezidentv8 wrote:Just to add at least a little bit of positivity in here:

Some shit I've done in law school has been ridiculously fun. Some classes have been awesome and interesting and relevant. There have been many good times with good people.

As much as I will complain, it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things.


+1

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Postby TTH » Thu May 05, 2011 2:09 am

Cupidity wrote:I would have taken my first semester grades as a sign to keep up the hard work, rather than a license to get drunk and fuck around.


This to a slightly lesser extent.

One of these days, I'm gonna start outlining earlier. If I could go back to August, the one thing I would do is outline after finishing every unit/topic/area of law. Even if the outline wasn't great, it would be so much better to start your end-of-semester studying by revising an existing outline than making one from scratch

edit: Also, I would go to a reputable school with a part-time program and go part-time. I left a full-time job to come back to LS and the change in my personal finances was really painful




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Feedfetcher and 5 guests