If you could do your 1L over again... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
random5483

Silver

Re: If you could do your 1L over again...

Post by random5483 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:26 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Thread is incredibly depressing.

Law school is fantastic and depressing! The studying around finals is well just plain depressing.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue May 03, 2011 12:45 am

traehekat wrote: It's funny, I was talking to someone the other night about how law school is difficult for all the "wrong" reasons. It really isn't the material itself that is so difficult, but it is the way it is presented, the hide-the-ball tactics, the pressure of the curve, the pressure of the economy, the pressure you put on yourself, etc. Law school just doesn't have to be this hard.
Dead on.

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 am

sneijder wrote: my original question was to 2 and 3Ls, because they would have already fully experienced their 1Ls...but yea I agree, people that are still in their 1L this is a hard question unless you had something to share that you changed from 1st to 2nd semester..
Have you ever been to TLS? Do you ever expect people to actually listen to who you prompt your question for? *cough* 0Ls in the Law School Student's Forum giving advice *cough*

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:00 am

rad law wrote:
traehekat wrote: It's funny, I was talking to someone the other night about how law school is difficult for all the "wrong" reasons. It really isn't the material itself that is so difficult, but it is the way it is presented, the hide-the-ball tactics, the pressure of the curve, the pressure of the economy, the pressure you put on yourself, etc. Law school just doesn't have to be this hard.
Dead on.
Yeah, it really doesn't, and I kind of think that after 1L, for the most part it isn't.

sneijder

New

Post by sneijder » Tue May 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Baylan wrote:
sneijder wrote: my original question was to 2 and 3Ls, because they would have already fully experienced their 1Ls...but yea I agree, people that are still in their 1L this is a hard question unless you had something to share that you changed from 1st to 2nd semester..
Have you ever been to TLS? Do you ever expect people to actually listen to who you prompt your question for? *cough* 0Ls in the Law School Student's Forum giving advice *cough*

Yea ive been on here quite a bit.. Any input is good like I said my man.. just chillllll :D if you feel like you can help with input your more than welcome to.. Nobody is twisting your arm though

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Tue May 03, 2011 1:22 pm

sneijder wrote:
Baylan wrote:

Yea ive been on here quite a bit.. Any input is good like I said my man.. just chillllll :D if you feel like you can help with input your more than welcome to.. Nobody is twisting your arm though
Bolded is why you should exit this forum for the next month or so. It is IMPOSSIBLE to "just chill" right now.

sneijder

New

Post by sneijder » Tue May 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Baylan wrote:
sneijder wrote:
Baylan wrote:

Bolded is why you should exit this forum for the next month or so. It is IMPOSSIBLE to "just chill" right now.
:lol: maybe for you. Maybe thats why you should leave for the next month? (just a thought)

ive gotten a lot of good stuff, even in this time of panic! Good luck on your finals though man! like I said my good friends are going through it right now and Ive seen how truly miserable they are.. so I sympathize for you all..

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue May 03, 2011 3:13 pm

rad law wrote:
Dead on.
This 100%. OP, I would do this again if I had to make the decision, but even I allow it's sometimes a close call. Law school has changed me for certain, and not always in ways that I've been happy about. I'm tougher now than I was two years ago, and more apt to be suspicious where I would have been trusting. I like my classmates and I am very happy with my summer position, but it's been two years of non-stop pressure to be perfect, as measured by the curve and my position on it. I'm thrilled that PI rejects that system, to a large extent-- my employer never requested my transcript. Dedication and interest in the work are viewed as much more important than class rank, and rightly so. I am damned sick and tired of being a number, and unfortunately, law school encompasses a lot of that.

What can you do? Realize that you are not your class rank. Even if the numbers are good, they can't possibly make you happy or fulfill you if you expect them to build your self worth, and you can feel even worse if you subsequently take a dip. If the numbers are not what you hoped for, they do not have to limit you. There are employers out there who never even ask.

Balance is crucially important. Never give it up, and remember your classmates often feel just as lost and frustrated as you do. During my 1L year, I thought everyone else was poised and fearless and just got things. Then 2L came, and it was like a veil was ripped away! I wish I had reached out sooner about the things that mattered.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue May 03, 2011 3:43 pm

drink more, study less

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sneijder

New

Post by sneijder » Tue May 03, 2011 4:03 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
rad law wrote:
Dead on.
This 100%. OP, I would do this again if I had to make the decision, but even I allow it's sometimes a close call. Law school has changed me for certain, and not always in ways that I've been happy about. I'm tougher now than I was two years ago, and more apt to be suspicious where I would have been trusting. I like my classmates and I am very happy with my summer position, but it's been two years of non-stop pressure to be perfect, as measured by the curve and my position on it. I'm thrilled that PI rejects that system, to a large extent-- my employer never requested my transcript. Dedication and interest in the work are viewed as much more important than class rank, and rightly so. I am damned sick and tired of being a number, and unfortunately, law school encompasses a lot of that.

What can you do? Realize that you are not your class rank. Even if the numbers are good, they can't possibly make you happy or fulfill you if you expect them to build your self worth, and you can feel even worse if you subsequently take a dip. If the numbers are not what you hoped for, they do not have to limit you. There are employers out there who never even ask.

Balance is crucially important. Never give it up, and remember your classmates often feel just as lost and frustrated as you do. During my 1L year, I thought everyone else was poised and fearless and just got things. Then 2L came, and it was like a veil was ripped away! I wish I had reached out sooner about the things that mattered.

wow! thanks a lot

could you elaborate on the bold?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue May 03, 2011 4:59 pm

sneijder wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
rad law wrote:
Dead on.

wow! thanks a lot

could you elaborate on the bold?
Sure-- I was in a position where I had lived in NYC for several years and had a good support network outside law school (and also friends at other schools), so when I got stressed out about classes, I didn't turn to my own classmates immediately. I pulled back, and I missed a lot of the section bonding stuff in favor of spending time with my friends from before LS. I really regret that, because my classmates are so sweet and lovely! I had so many chances to go out and have fun, and so many invitations I turned down because of stress I put on myself. I paid a high price for what I ultimately learned, and I wish I could go back and relive parts of 1L year. During my 2L year, I realized some of my 1L friends felt the way I had, and I wanted to reach back out and remind them they were not alone!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue May 03, 2011 5:12 pm

I'd do it the exact same but would have "let my hair down" a lil more. Even though I transferred I regret not knowing many people from my 1L class.

sneijder

New

Post by sneijder » Tue May 03, 2011 5:53 pm

good stuff thanks for sharing soprano!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Tue May 03, 2011 6:09 pm

I would drop out before paying my first tuition bill
(rising 3L WITH a biglaw summer associate job)

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Tue May 03, 2011 10:09 pm

I would have done my best to never discover reddit - biggest time sink ever.

Also, stressed less about oral arguments.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue May 03, 2011 10:53 pm

Not gone at all. Miserable fucking year.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue May 03, 2011 10:55 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Thread is incredibly depressing.
Ghost of Christmas future.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Tue May 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Not gone at all. Miserable fucking year.
:(

rvill7

New

Post by rvill7 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:41 pm

Don't listen to other people!! Develop your own study habits and make sure YOU understand the material...Other people will brag about how far they are in their outlines or whatever, so lame.

Also, if you're close to your family/friends, go to school close to home! You will need the moral support for all the stress you're about to experience.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Just to add at least a little bit of positivity in here:

Some shit I've done in law school has been ridiculously fun. Some classes have been awesome and interesting and relevant. There have been many good times with good people.

As much as I will complain, it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue May 03, 2011 11:58 pm

Would have played more video games, played more basketball, worked out more, gone out more, banished any thought whatsoever of shooting for a 1L SA. 2L OCI and PLIP will come soon enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rurik

Bronze

Post by Rurik » Wed May 04, 2011 12:27 am

If I could do it again:

- Not been so overconfident going in (what can I say, it's tough not being a pretentious prick when you've excelled at practically everything you've touched so far in life)

- Listened to other people's advice on what worked for them, but taken none of it to heart (seriously, you could probably find SCOTUS clerks who swore on front-loading the semester and never touching supplements, and you could find others who swore on back-loading the semester and never cracking open the casebook).

But in the end, I'm very glad I am in law school - but that doesn't mean others have completely despised the experience (and going in, it's often not that easy to tell who is going to love it and who is going to hate it).

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed May 04, 2011 12:37 am

I would have taken my first semester grades as a sign to keep up the hard work, rather than a license to get drunk and fuck around.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed May 04, 2011 2:03 am

prezidentv8 wrote:Just to add at least a little bit of positivity in here:

Some shit I've done in law school has been ridiculously fun. Some classes have been awesome and interesting and relevant. There have been many good times with good people.

As much as I will complain, it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things.
+1

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu May 05, 2011 2:09 am

Cupidity wrote:I would have taken my first semester grades as a sign to keep up the hard work, rather than a license to get drunk and fuck around.
This to a slightly lesser extent.

One of these days, I'm gonna start outlining earlier. If I could go back to August, the one thing I would do is outline after finishing every unit/topic/area of law. Even if the outline wasn't great, it would be so much better to start your end-of-semester studying by revising an existing outline than making one from scratch

edit: Also, I would go to a reputable school with a part-time program and go part-time. I left a full-time job to come back to LS and the change in my personal finances was really painful

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”