The write-on thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
traehekat

Gold

Re: The write-on thread

Post by traehekat » Fri May 13, 2011 1:27 pm

FireNextTime wrote:This is really weird. Hastings' competition materials total 9 pages. That's not a typo. 9 pages.

We get 12 days. No editing exercise.
our's isn't too bad either. less than 100 pages of material, plus we get over 3 weeks.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm going to read more cases for the write-on than I did for all of my doctrinal classes combined during spring semester.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri May 13, 2011 2:36 pm

Writing competition week was the worst law school week of my life - until I got on law review and had to do a 95 hour work week just on LR copying sources from 3 different languages. So on the bright side, if you don't get law review, at least you won't be as miserable during the year.

Word of advice - your writing style/blue booking > the content if your school's journal is like mine.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri May 13, 2011 2:50 pm

FireNextTime wrote:This is really weird. Hastings' competition materials total 9 pages. That's not a typo. 9 pages.

so fucking glad it's not 100+
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:57 pm

just to rub it in a little...

Duke only requires a 14 page case note with not very much research. No bluebook exercise required.

Will take me about 4-5 days max. :)

Enjoy!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Fri May 13, 2011 3:05 pm

So relieved I had to suffer through a 4-day write-on with only 6 pages of writing over Spring Break. It sucked at the time, but who cares, February feels like a year ago.

FireNextTime

New

Post by FireNextTime » Fri May 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Borhas wrote:

On the flip side, we won't get to find out if/what we landed until after we finalize our bids for OCI. So unless I'm wrong about both processes, we won't be able to say that we're on X Journal when we apply for OCI interviews. This seems like a bad thing.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri May 13, 2011 4:41 pm

FireNextTime wrote:
Borhas wrote:

On the flip side, we won't get to find out if/what we landed until after we finalize our bids for OCI. So unless I'm wrong about both processes, we won't be able to say that we're on X Journal when we apply for OCI interviews. This seems like a bad thing.
I'm pretty sure you're right. Not sure how I feel about that, but at least you'll know before interviews, and if it turns out that you won't do well enough on the writing comp to make any journals then they couldn't have held it against you in the interview... but then again I imagine in some contexts that risks ending up w/ pointless interviews.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri May 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Checking in.

The competition is ten days and it started the day of our last final, which was this past Tuesday. I haven't touched the materials yet (there were something like 20 cases/statutes provided as research). My summer job starts Monday, and I already found out I graded on to our school's "prestigious" secondary journal.

Getting motivated for this thing is impossible going to suck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri May 13, 2011 4:50 pm

TTH wrote:Checking in.

The competition is ten days and it started the day of our last final, which was this past Tuesday. I haven't touched the materials yet (there were something like 20 cases/statutes provided as research). My summer job starts Monday, and I already found out I graded on to our school's "prestigious" secondary journal.

can you get on the secondary without writing on? If I was in that position I would not even open the packet

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri May 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Borhas wrote:

can you get on the secondary without writing on? If I was in that position I would not even open the packet
Well, I would still need to do the editing assignment, but I'm guaranteed a spot regardless of how well I do on the editing assignment. My class rank isn't going to be tip-top, so I feel like I need to get the LR credential if I can, but fuck if I don't want to bother with it.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri May 13, 2011 6:05 pm

I am convinced some of our competition rules exist for the sole purpose of making write-on as miserable as possible.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri May 13, 2011 6:13 pm

TTH wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Well, I would still need to do the editing assignment, but I'm guaranteed a spot regardless of how well I do on the editing assignment. My class rank isn't going to be tip-top, so I feel like I need to get the LR credential if I can, but fuck if I don't want to bother with it.
hmmm I'm not in as good of a position but I feel the same way. Ethically, I feel like I have to give it a decent effort, but really, it's not like I'm going to celebrate working for a journal... I was bummed about not getting on the trial team for that reason, at least then I'd have an excuse, but now I'll just end up looking lazy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:19 am

I'm a little under median and I was planning on doing the write-on with hopes of landing a secondary journal to help out on the job front. Is it worth it for me to even go through all the effort for write-on if my grades are so low? It makes up a full third of your score so I feel like I'd be starting at a huge disadvantage. Thoughts?

FWIW, I'm looking at local small firm and public interest mostly.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sat May 14, 2011 12:38 am

I really don't think I can get this thing done in time to apply for the other journals. Everything is due Monday at 5pm and all I've done is written 2/3 of garbage and have done no bluebooking whatsoever (like 40 total sources, I would guess). Since my write-on entry is so bad, this really seems like a bad idea.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sat May 14, 2011 12:47 am

My motto is:

I'm going to lose anyway, so why even try?

I highly recommend this to everyone.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Sat May 14, 2011 1:26 am

tarheel87 wrote:Is it worth it for me to even go through all the effort for write-on if my grades are so low?
Only one thing is guaranteed: if you don't try, you definitely won't make it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat May 14, 2011 2:18 am

D. H2Oman wrote:My motto is:

My exact thoughts.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat May 14, 2011 2:50 am

tarheel87 wrote:I'm a little under median and I was planning on doing the write-on with hopes of landing a secondary journal to help out on the job front. Is it worth it for me to even go through all the effort for write-on if my grades are so low? It makes up a full third of your score so I feel like I'd be starting at a huge disadvantage. Thoughts?

look at the rules in the competition, at my school some of the journals consider grades, some don't consider grades beyond meeting the minimum GPA
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Sat May 14, 2011 4:13 am

Borhas wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:I'm a little under median and I was planning on doing the write-on with hopes of landing a secondary journal to help out on the job front. Is it worth it for me to even go through all the effort for write-on if my grades are so low? It makes up a full third of your score so I feel like I'd be starting at a huge disadvantage. Thoughts?

look at the rules in the competition, at my school some of the journals consider grades, some don't consider grades beyond meeting the minimum GPA
For example at UCLA out of ~40-50 spots, 6 account for grades as a bonus, the rest are pure write on.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat May 14, 2011 4:36 am

Do they even let you proles in the PT program participate in write-on?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:28 am

BarbellDreams wrote:

My exact thoughts.
You should do it, unless your school has grade on.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat May 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Hmm. This may be the first time I feel like I got the easy way for our write-on competition. 4 days, 4-5 page writing exercise (footnotes included in the page count), 3 short editing exercises (but man, can they pack mistakes into them), and 15 BB cites. Each counts for 1/3 of the grade.

Our writing portion is given to us. We don't have to pick a topic, just agree or disagree with the holding in a case and support it.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun May 15, 2011 10:49 am

kalvano wrote:Hmm. This may be the first time I feel like I got the easy way for our write-on competition. 4 days, 4-5 page writing exercise (footnotes included in the page count), 3 short editing exercises (but man, can they pack mistakes into them), and 15 BB cites. Each counts for 1/3 of the grade.

Our writing portion is given to us. We don't have to pick a topic, just agree or disagree with the holding in a case and support it.
It seems easy, but then that means the curve is just tighter.

I haven't counted pages in my packet (and won't so as to avoid crying), but there were 20 statues/cases in the packet, plus a law review article. All for a ten page paper. FFFFUUUUU

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun May 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Well, the editing portion is tricky tricky. Lots of little things hidden.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”