The write-on thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BarbellDreams

Re: The write-on thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue May 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Baylan wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:So I don't plan on doing the write-on. I am either gonna grade on or just do moot court or something instead of a journal. Is my law firm going to ask me how the right on went? Can I honestly in good conscience flat out tell them I didn't do it?

Why aren't you going to do it?

Majority of schools require at least a "good faith" effort in order to grade on, so you have to complete the write-on anyway, and its by far the best extracurricular you can do for your career...

My school does not require a write on to grade on, its top 10% automatically grade on and thats that. I am putting in the best effort I can into finals, going to visit the family for a week and then starting my SA position. A small part of me wants to try doing the write on, but apparently there are a total of 3 spots for the write on this semester at my school with at least 100 people who plan on doing it. I'll bet at least 3 of them can out-bluebook and out-write me without breaking a sweat.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue May 03, 2011 5:22 pm

Baylan wrote:
How about we go with incredibly frustrating that I really don't even get a "lets get drunk" break between my last exam and starting work/write on because I have a volunteer engagement. My last exam is Thursday, I'm busy all day Friday/Saturday. I guess I get Saturday night?

Wow, that sucks. I already have my Thursday evening planned out (the first night I'll be back in my home state with all my friends). The rest will likely be a blur until Sunday morning.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:I really question the utility of reading the bluebook cover to cover. I would recommend, however, following this manta: look up every rule, every time.

I would absolutely do this if you've already started your competition. I still do this when I'm editing! In my case, reading cover to cover was critical because there were special rules for things like the Bible that I would not have known about if I had not come across them in my read through. I also think it gave me confidence, which I needed at that point.

But don't you think if you saw a Bible citation you would have said, "Weird... The Bible? I should look that up."

I dunno, maybe I should have read it and I'm just rationalizing not doing so. But I don't even think I could have stayed awake through the entire Bluebook.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed May 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Baylan wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:Our writing competition is 2 weeks, and it starts the same week that I start working, which is 6 days after my last final. Fun.

I win. Write on competition is 2 weeks, starts the same DAY I start working, and starts four days after my last final.

Moot court tryouts are also during the LR write-on.

/self now

I think I might have some competition for you. Ours started today - about 5 hours after our last exam. It runs for two weeks, and the second week will be my first week of work.No break = burnout.

jkay

Postby jkay » Wed May 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Good luck everyone. When you are in the deepest darkest depths of the "what the fuck am I doing" moments, just remember: the 85 year old retired named partner from the firm you want to work at still has "Law Review" on his firm bio.

When you get that letter...the shitty moments will disappear from your memory.

mths

Postby mths » Wed May 11, 2011 10:37 pm

good call - in-before write on starts

fucking exams

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed May 11, 2011 10:44 pm

I wonder if doing really well in LRW will carry over into the writing competition. Hopefully those who review these submissions have similar standards to my LRW instructor. I'm pretty psyched up for this since I just want exams to end. I'm sure the writing will be brutal and agonizing, but I'd prefer it over another exam any day.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed May 11, 2011 11:39 pm

I have no idea what my real chances are to actually get on LR. But I can confirm that, having started this competition today, the bluebooking portion does, indeed, suck.

That's really all I got. I have not recovered from finals. At. All.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Thank god we don't have a bluebooking portion. Just need to get the cites right for the rest of it.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 12, 2011 12:01 am

i dunno how much time to put into this thing. we have til may 31st. do i really need to kill myself every single day on this thing to get on? i was kinda thinking of just somehow spreading out 80-90 hours from now til the 31st.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu May 12, 2011 12:07 am

traehekat wrote:i dunno how much time to put into this thing. we have til may 31st. do i really need to kill myself every single day on this thing to get on? i was kinda thinking of just somehow spreading out 80-90 hours from now til the 31st.

I feel like this is gonna vary a lot person by person and competition by competition.

If you were a hard science major in UG with little writing experience otherwise, it might be a bitch. If you wrote a ton of material in UG by combining sources and whatnot, it probably won't be so bad.

We have a couple weeks, and I'm planning on working about 30 hrs/wk on it. I have quite a bit of writing experience, fwiw.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:11 am

Just a few points:
-I actually was starting to get over hating law school...and then the write-on competition started.
-Nice job Omerta getting done so fast with the quiz.
-I read cases the first 2 days, did/am doing the quiz over 2 days, and then plan to write/edit the final 8 days.
-I don't think our topic is really that complicated. It's just annoying.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 12, 2011 1:20 am

I have a feeling the next 24-36 hours will involve a lot of work and little sleep.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:08 am

Due in ten hours, I haven't even started the writing portion. Oh well, third tier journal here I come.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:47 am

Desert Fox wrote:Due in ten hours, I haven't even started the writing portion. Oh well, third tier journal here I come.

At least u have a third-tier one. It's "big 3 journal" or bust at ELS.....which has to be the dumbest fucking thing in the history of the universe.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:12 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Due in ten hours, I haven't even started the writing portion. Oh well, third tier journal here I come.

At least u have a third-tier one. It's "big 3 journal" or bust at ELS.....which has to be the dumbest fucking thing in the history of the universe.

You don't know how luck you are. These TTT journals give you zero job boost, but the lack of it hurts you because everyone knows that everyone can get on.

Secondary journals shouldn't exist. Online journals are LOL worthy.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu May 12, 2011 4:30 pm

I was a bit unprepared for just how damn big this packet is. 250 pages of materials. I wonder how long its going to take just to read this damn stuff. Found out today I got rejected from the 1L writing program TA position I really wanted (sort of odd seeing as I got an A both semesters, was close with my instructor, and have been tutoring regularly for over 4 years). Gives me that much more motivation to write onto law review with a vengeance.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu May 12, 2011 4:43 pm

kaiser wrote:I was a bit unprepared for just how damn big this packet is. 250 pages of materials. I wonder how long its going to take just to read this damn stuff. Found out today I got rejected from the 1L writing program TA position I really wanted (sort of odd seeing as I got an A both semesters, was close with my instructor, and have been tutoring regularly for over 4 years). Gives me that much more motivation to write onto law review with a vengeance.

Our packet is over 400 pages. For a 5-8 page note. wtf.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Thu May 12, 2011 4:52 pm

This is terrible.

And the secondary journal applications are all due on the same day as the write-on, and have a really annoying separate cite checking exercise which apparently takes a whole day. And all the applications want personal statements--when are we gonna get to a point in life where we don't have to write these anymore??

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu May 12, 2011 5:01 pm

moandersen wrote:
kaiser wrote:I was a bit unprepared for just how damn big this packet is. 250 pages of materials. I wonder how long its going to take just to read this damn stuff. Found out today I got rejected from the 1L writing program TA position I really wanted (sort of odd seeing as I got an A both semesters, was close with my instructor, and have been tutoring regularly for over 4 years). Gives me that much more motivation to write onto law review with a vengeance.

I rescind my complaint...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 12, 2011 5:48 pm

moandersen wrote:

485 pages of research (not counting the Bluebook exercise or instructions) for ours. Thankfully much of it is extraneous material.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri May 13, 2011 10:41 am

our competition starts in an hour...

few questions

1. is there an "easy" position on law review, or would all the 2L's do the same shit?
2. Why? WHY? WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!21

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri May 13, 2011 11:35 am

4 hours and only 11 bluebook problems later, Im wondering if being on a journal is really that much of a plus....

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri May 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Borhas wrote:our competition starts in an hour...

few questions

1. is there an "easy" position on law review, or would all the 2L's do the same shit?
2. Why? WHY? WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!21

1. 2Ls do the same "shit"
2. Editing is F-U-N :)

FireNextTime

Postby FireNextTime » Fri May 13, 2011 12:57 pm

This is really weird. Hastings' competition materials total 9 pages. That's not a typo. 9 pages.

We get 12 days. No editing exercise.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”