The write-on thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Geist13

Re: The write-on thread

Postby Geist13 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:34 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Geist13 wrote:um, so I was just told to start getting ideas for note topics ready. Are you kidding me? Any suggestions beyond "look for circuit splits?"

Get Volohk's Academic Legal Writing.

More on the topic: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1711533 (interesting critique+review of the advice from Volokh+two others).

Thanks, that article looks good. I have volohk; it's 1300 miles away at my school apartment.

jkay

Postby jkay » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:38 am

Holy shit, it's the footnoter ghost of David Foster Wallace reincarnated.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:18 pm

So, I was reading through some of this and a lot of people were saying that write-on wasn't worth it, etc. One thing - if you're on law review at most law schools (except maybe Cooley), you're getting a job afterwards unless you're a complete f-tard in general. Sure, chances are vastly against you to make it by either grades or write-on, but at least you'll know you did everything you could. It's worth it. Have a nice day.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:30 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:So, I was reading through some of this and a lot of people were saying that write-on wasn't worth it, etc. One thing - if you're on law review at most law schools (except maybe Cooley), you're getting a job afterwards unless you're a complete f-tard in general. Sure, chances are vastly against you to make it by either grades or write-on, but at least you'll know you did everything you could. It's worth it. Have a nice day.

I cited the Cooley Law Review in a memo I wrote for my judge the other day (on an off topic assignment, not for a case). Never thought I would see the day...

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:33 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:So, I was reading through some of this and a lot of people were saying that write-on wasn't worth it, etc. One thing - if you're on law review at most law schools (except maybe Cooley), you're getting a job afterwards unless you're a complete f-tard in general. Sure, chances are vastly against you to make it by either grades or write-on, but at least you'll know you did everything you could. It's worth it. Have a nice day.

I cited the Cooley Law Review in a memo I wrote for my judge the other day (on an off topic assignment, not for a case). Never thought I would see the day...

http://lawreview.tmc.cooley.edu/Resources/Pictures/Voting%20Board.JPG

successsssss

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

successsssss

Hahaha wow.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:18 pm

What is this fantastic picture? and why is it so huge?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:What is this fantastic picture? and why is it so huge?

It's Cooley Law Review's Board of Editors. Obviously.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Welp this made my day. Is the old lady the faculty adviser or one of the students?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Welp this made my day. Is the old lady the faculty adviser or one of the students?

I can only assume student

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Third from the right in the back row is photoshopped, for some reason. Also, not a lot of books on those shelves...

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:05 pm

That is so mean but so funny.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:54 am

Just wanted to come here and bitch because I missed grading on, officially, by 5 spots. Fuck you law school.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:45 am

Made law review. And my secondaries.

But I transferred. :|

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

successsssss

For some reason I find it hilarious that the bookshelf is only like 5% full.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:39 pm

w_c_l2013

Postby w_c_l2013 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:32 am

Can anyone who had a successful experience with write-on share some of what they think really contributed to them doing well (besides the standard - getting the volokh book).

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:35 am

w_c_l2013 wrote:Can anyone who had a successful experience with write-on share some of what they think really contributed to them doing well (besides the standard - getting the volokh book).

Get the Volokh book, follow the advice, and work hard. I'm not sure there's that much more to it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:39 am

w_c_l2013 wrote:Can anyone who had a successful experience with write-on share some of what they think really contributed to them doing well (besides the standard - getting the volokh book).

They will give you sample notes. Use those as your guide and follow their writing style closely.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:40 am

romothesavior wrote:

They will give you sample notes. Use those as your guide and follow their writing style closely.

I would say closely, but not too closely

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:41 am

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:43 am

Kilpatrick wrote:So if there are 4 sections in your school and one section has twice as many people that made law review as any other section, what could that mean? Rampant cheating in that section or just a coincidence?

From what I've seen, coincidence and/or awesome 1L LRW prof (I think there's one prof at Michigan who pretty much always has twice as many of his students write onto LR than the other LRW profs).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:45 am

Helmholtz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I dunno... this was the advice I got, and I followed it and wrote on. YMMV I suppose.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:47 am

romothesavior wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I dunno... this was the advice I got, and I followed it and wrote on. YMMV I suppose.

I just feel like if you follow it too closely, you end up losing your unique writing voice. (I guess this depends a lot on how confident you are in the correctness and appeal of your own writing style.)

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:30 pm

It's hard to say exactly why I was able to make law review, but my main strategy (besides simply writing a solid paper) was to footnote the living shit out of it. I often used multiple sources per footnote, lots of textual footnotes, comparisons, anything I could think of that could be used as support for damn near every sentence, and numerous clauses as well. Do lots of footnotes necessarily equal a better paper? Obviously not. But I think it gives the grader an initial impression that the paper is well researched and thought out, giving you edge over your peers.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”