The write-on thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Re: The write-on thread

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:01 am

beach_terror wrote:
Triangles wrote:Found out today everyone has already been getting invites to journals. Apparently I didn't make a single journal despite being above the gpa requirement for every single one of them. FML.

That sucks, I'm seriously terrified of my phone not ringing at all on journal invite day.

That's the only advantage to our secondary grade-ons. At least I'll have something if I don't get LR. Of course, if I don't get LR, I will be like this: :cry: :cry: :cry:. LR would make it very likely that I'd stay at my school (barring shockers by CLS/NYU).

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:09 am

keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Triangles wrote:Found out today everyone has already been getting invites to journals. Apparently I didn't make a single journal despite being above the gpa requirement for every single one of them. FML.

That sucks, I'm seriously terrified of my phone not ringing at all on journal invite day.

That's the only advantage to our secondary grade-ons. At least I'll have something if I don't get LR. Of course, if I don't get LR, I will be like this: :cry: :cry: :cry:. LR would make it very likely that I'd stay at my school (barring shockers by CLS/NYU).

Still praying for a write-on LR invite. With my GPA, it would be a godsend for real and I could spin it so well in interviews. I've missed so many things this year by such small numbers (1 point in crim would have bumped me a grade and put me on lr, missed the SA by one spot, missed grading onto LR by a few spots). I could go on and on with shit like that, but I'm just hoping I get lucky fucking ONCE this year. Blergh

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:58 am

beach_terror wrote:
keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Still praying for a write-on LR invite. With my GPA, it would be a godsend for real and I could spin it so well in interviews. I've missed so many things this year by such small numbers (1 point in crim would have bumped me a grade and put me on lr, missed the SA by one spot, missed grading onto LR by a few spots). I could go on and on with shit like that, but I'm just hoping I get lucky fucking ONCE this year. Blergh

I'm gonna wish we had secondary grade-ons when I miss LR by one spot.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 am

beach_terror wrote:
keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

+1

My class ranking is low considering my GPA because so many of my A's were low A's (not A-, just low A) versus high A's. The 100-point numerical average scale sucks. I need to win at write on like whoa.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:32 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
I'm gonna wish we had secondary grade-ons when I miss LR by one spot.

Haha I almost don't want to find out how close I was. I confirmed less than 10 for sure, could be as low as 2-5.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:49 am

I wish we had LR grade on. I'm terrified my writing competition submission was pure ass.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:25 pm

keg411 wrote:I wish we had LR grade on. I'm terrified my writing competition submission was pure ass.

Better than me. I know my competition submission was pure ass.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:45 pm

No instructions besides "20-30 page case note in 12pt font. Agree or disagree."

Only provided a slip opinion of the case.

Three "samples" one of which is so far beyond my writing capability that I'm considering retaking LRW.

I have until next Friday because I have plans for the 4th of July weekend. I just finished my background section, which probably has too many cites and I fucking hate it.

Fuck.

lbeezy

Postby lbeezy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:40 am

Bustang wrote:No instructions besides "20-30 page case note in 12pt font. Agree or disagree."

Only provided a slip opinion of the case.

Three "samples" one of which is so far beyond my writing capability that I'm considering retaking LRW.

I have until next Friday because I have plans for the 4th of July weekend. I just finished my background section, which probably has too many cites and I fucking hate it.

Fuck.

I can't imagine them even wanting to grade that. That sounds miserable.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:35 am

missinglink wrote:
keg411 wrote:I wish we had LR grade on. I'm terrified my writing competition submission was pure ass.

Better than me. I know my competition submission was pure ass.

+1

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:40 am

Glad my school's write-on was mid-semester. That would suck to do this over the summer. Then again, I might still need to, because I am hoping to transfer and so I think it is possible I could do another write-on...

Triangles

Postby Triangles » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:57 pm

I've decided I am going to write an article on my own, make it fucking amazing, and get it published in a journal ranked higher then my school. Spite is powerful.

I did the math, and if they actually used the scoring method they say they do (2/3rds of the score gpa, 1/3rd competition), with about 85% of the people making some journal, I had to have been awarded NEGATIVE POINTS to end up where I am now. Negative.

bbvk05

Postby bbvk05 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:09 pm

Triangles wrote:

I've decided I am going to write an article on my own, make it fucking amazing, and get it published in a journal ranked higher then my school. Spite is powerful.

I did the math, and if they actually used the scoring method they say they do (2/3rds of the score gpa, 1/3rd competition), with about 85% of the people making some journal, I had to have been awarded NEGATIVE POINTS to end up where I am now. Negative.

It all depends on how they quantify GPA for composite score purposes. My school has the same problem and nobody can tell me how they convert it to a composite score, saying only that GPA is worth 50% and writing is worth 50%.

One person told me that they THINK 4.0 is worth 50 composite points and whatever % your GPA is of 4.0 is how many composite points you get. So if you have a 3.8 hat would give you 47.5 composite points. A 3.7 is worth 46.25 composite points. A 3.5 would be worth 43.75. Of course the gulf between a 3.8 and 3.5 is HUGE in terms of class rank and reality, but it is only 3.75 composite points or a whopping 7.8% advantage. I could have any or all of this math wrong.

tl;dr- the way they convert a GPA to a composite score for the write-on may provide VERY LITTLE differentiation between candidates, minimizing the advantage of a higher GPA. I understand why it would work this way (to promote merit), but it sucks to be the guy with a relatively high GPA just outside the grade-on cut off.

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:21 am

Just got the invite. It looks like my writing submission was good enough!

nymario

Postby nymario » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:31 am

studebaker07 wrote:Just got the invite. It looks like my writing submission was good enough!

Congratz!

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 am

nymario wrote:Congratz!

Thank you! I am a rising 3L (transfer student) so getting on law review was vital.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Just got a call from a secondary journal, which means I didn't make LR. Sort of depressed given that I really thought I nailed the writing competition. I know I shouldn't be upset, but this is the first time in law school thus far that I set a goal for myself that I failed to achieve. Really wanted this one. But hey, I'm sure a secondary journal still gives you lots of good experience, so perhaps I"m overreacting.

bbvk05

Postby bbvk05 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:17 pm

kaiser wrote:Just got a call from a secondary journal, which means I didn't make LR. Sort of depressed given that I really thought I nailed the writing competition. I know I shouldn't be upset, but this is the first time in law school thus far that I set a goal for myself that I failed to achieve. Really wanted this one. But hey, I'm sure a secondary journal still gives you lots of good experience, so perhaps I"m overreacting.

Confirm that with the primary law review editor. It would not be the first time a secondary journal tried to scoop a commitment from somebody.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:35 pm

bbvk05 wrote:
kaiser wrote:Just got a call from a secondary journal, which means I didn't make LR. Sort of depressed given that I really thought I nailed the writing competition. I know I shouldn't be upset, but this is the first time in law school thus far that I set a goal for myself that I failed to achieve. Really wanted this one. But hey, I'm sure a secondary journal still gives you lots of good experience, so perhaps I"m overreacting.

Confirm that with the primary law review editor. It would not be the first time a secondary journal tried to scoop a commitment from somebody.

Guess it can't hurt, though the person who called said that this would be my only call, barring a huge mistake by the journal committee people. After thinking about it for awhile, I'm not really upset. I'm sure that writing for a secondary journal can still be a really solid experience and I will still learn a lot from it.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Don't feel bad. Making LR appears to require a very different skill-set than doing well in law school in general (which is probably why so many schools have pure grade-on to reward the top students). So far, the people I know that made LR at my school have lower grades than the people I know who didn't make LR.

Academic writing is weird as all get out, so I suggest to lurking 0L's you figure out what is expected of you BEFORE the writing competition.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:33 pm

Dammit, I want to know about LR. I don't even really care anymore if I made it on. I just want to know. Our write-on was due on May 25th, so it should be any day now...

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:06 pm

I got two invitations to secondary journals. International law and the IP journal. For the life of me, I can't decide which one to choose.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:14 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I got two invitations to secondary journals. International law and the IP journal. For the life of me, I can't decide which one to choose.

IP. Show employers you have a brain and that you're not aimlessly pursuing a field that doesn't really exist.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:12 pm

9 days till LR invitations here...not counting or anything...

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Just got my invitation to Law Review. Boom Shaka Laka.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”