The write-on thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jkay

Re: The write-on thread

Postby jkay » Tue May 03, 2011 1:08 pm

SUCCESS!

But holy shit I felt bad for the people who didn't make it. Public tears were shed.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Our writing competition is 2 weeks, and it starts the same week that I start working, which is 6 days after my last final. Fun.

+1 well except the working part, thank god mine is in the dead time after finals and before my productive summer starts

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Tue May 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Our writing competition is 2 weeks, and it starts the same week that I start working, which is 6 days after my last final. Fun.

I win. Write on competition is 2 weeks, starts the same DAY I start working, and starts four days after my last final.

Moot court tryouts are also during the LR write-on.

/self now

Postby 98234872348 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Tue May 03, 2011 1:44 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Baylan wrote:

I win. Write on competition is 2 weeks, starts the same DAY I start working, and starts four days after my last final.

/self now

Wow that is strange... Guess the moot court wants people who are dedicated to appellate advocacy.

Or I attend a TTT.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Tue May 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Our write on comp started yesterday. It's not as bad as I thought...

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue May 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Yes, you do need to read the whole bluebook cover to cover beforehand. I wasn't very pleased to hear this tip, but it probably saved my life on my own writing comp. last year.

From my personal experience: you can get away with some creative writing. I couldn't help myself. My inability to write antiseptically cost me dearly in LRW (it was my lowest grade to date in law school), but I was given more latitude on the writing competition.

Eat and sleep! I pulled an all nigher and went over 24 hours without eating during the latter part of my competition. I made it to school with my packets just in time, but I felt dizzy and found myself sitting in the doorway of my future journal office. One of my classmates helped me up and I went home and slept for an entire day. Do not do this! You can pace yourself better than I did. Take good care of yourself-- you don't need to do anything extreme.

As for the rest, you probably intuitively know how to write a good paper. Because of my LRW grade, I failed to give myself any credit, and I beat myself up so much... My writing competition was a miserable experience that ended happily, and I wish you guys the very best without the misery preceding!

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue May 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Baylan wrote:

/self now

Haha, you win by 2 days. Starts the same day as I start work as well. This oughta be...fun?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue May 03, 2011 4:05 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Rurik wrote:
Curry wrote:why is everyone tagging in small font?

Because they don't want people to know that they don't know how to use the bookmark function?

Everyone browses with "view your posts." HTH

+1

And people tag in small font because apparently it's a bannable offense (speaking from personal experience).

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Tue May 03, 2011 4:08 pm

My school prohibits all online materials. Would it include this thread?..

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:13 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
From my personal experience: you can get away with some creative writing. I couldn't help myself. My inability to write antiseptically cost me dearly in LRW (it was my lowest grade to date in law school), but I was given more latitude on the writing competition.

lol this is so meta.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Tue May 03, 2011 4:15 pm

Any word on "Making Law Review: The Expert's Guide to Mastering the Write-on Competition"?

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Law-Review ... =pd_cp_b_1

The reviews look pretty favorable. Can anyone compare it to Volokh?

Rurik

Postby Rurik » Tue May 03, 2011 4:17 pm

DeSimone wrote:Any word on "Making Law Review: The Expert's Guide to Mastering the Write-on Competition"?

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Law-Review ... =pd_cp_b_1

The reviews look pretty favorable. Can anyone compare it to Volokh?

Read both. Kind of meh. Certainly not as helpful as Volokh. Maybe read if you have time, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way with it. I think your time is better spent with the Bluebook, Redbook, etc.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue May 03, 2011 4:18 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Yes, you do need to read the whole bluebook cover to cover beforehand. I wasn't very pleased to hear this tip, but it probably saved my life on my own writing comp. last year.

Too late :/

Rurik

Postby Rurik » Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Yes, you do need to read the whole bluebook cover to cover beforehand. I wasn't very pleased to hear this tip, but it probably saved my life on my own writing comp. last year.

Too late :/

My conversations with people who wrote onto LR have been mixed in this regard. Maybe 1/2 - 2/3 read it through and the other 1/2 - 1/3 skimmed it. It's certainly not a death knell if you haven't studied it cover to cover.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 pm

Before people spend hours and hours reading the Bluebook cover to cover, you should probably ask how much it counts. At some schools, it's literally 10 or 15% of the total score.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:35 pm

I really question the utility of reading the bluebook cover to cover. I would recommend, however, following this manta: look up every rule, every time.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Tue May 03, 2011 4:43 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Baylan wrote:

/self now

Haha, you win by 2 days. Starts the same day as I start work as well. This oughta be...fun?

How about we go with incredibly frustrating that I really don't even get a "lets get drunk" break between my last exam and starting work/write on because I have a volunteer engagement. My last exam is Thursday, I'm busy all day Friday/Saturday. I guess I get Saturday night?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue May 03, 2011 4:51 pm

So I don't plan on doing the write-on. I am either gonna grade on or just do moot court or something instead of a journal. Is my law firm going to ask me how the right on went? Can I honestly in good conscience flat out tell them I didn't do it?

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 pm

My friend is going to treat this like a 9-5 job.

I wonder if that is wise...

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Tue May 03, 2011 4:57 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:So I don't plan on doing the write-on. I am either gonna grade on or just do moot court or something instead of a journal. Is my law firm going to ask me how the right on went? Can I honestly in good conscience flat out tell them I didn't do it?

Why aren't you going to do it?

Majority of schools require at least a "good faith" effort in order to grade on, so you have to complete the write-on anyway, and its by far the best extracurricular you can do for your career...

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue May 03, 2011 5:02 pm

Baylan wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:So I don't plan on doing the write-on. I am either gonna grade on or just do moot court or something instead of a journal. Is my law firm going to ask me how the right on went? Can I honestly in good conscience flat out tell them I didn't do it?

Majority of schools require at least a "good faith" effort in order to grade on, so you have to complete the write-on anyway, and its by far the best extracurricular you can do for your career...

I most certainly would not call law review an extracurricular. You get some (although only a little) credit for it, and it's law related. I'm still on the fence about it myself.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue May 03, 2011 5:15 pm

vamedic03 wrote:I really question the utility of reading the bluebook cover to cover. I would recommend, however, following this manta: look up every rule, every time.

I would absolutely do this if you've already started your competition. I still do this when I'm editing! In my case, reading cover to cover was critical because there were special rules for things like the Bible that I would not have known about if I had not come across them in my read through. I also think it gave me confidence, which I needed at that point.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Baylan wrote:

^dude, every law review is different. Some require you to complete the write-on competition in order to grade-on, while others don't. If you have excellent grades and you can simply grade-on to LR, there's no reason to complete the write-on competition unless you are extremely risk averse or have some stranger desire to experience the write-on process.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue May 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

lol this is so meta.

I wish I could be less meta! I was informal in my introduction, and tried to make my submission interesting, so I wouldn't want to smack myself in the face and my editors would feel the same way. It worked, though it could have backfired. I might have been too indulgent with the writing, but I was incredibly careful with my footnoting. I hand copied sixteen pages of edits three times.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”