The write-on thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby englawyer » Fri May 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Chichaca wrote:Done!! 1L is over. Good luck everyone.


you are lying. you couldn't have finished before 1 PM :P

viking138
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby viking138 » Sat May 21, 2011 5:36 am

Finished and off on vacation for a week before school starts!!! Hadn't sunk in until this morning.

Good luck everyone still doing it!!!

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: The write-on thread

Postby TTH » Sat May 21, 2011 9:17 am

Finished. Had a glorious night of post-write on celebration, now I think I'm gonna cook up some eggs and watch some motherfuckin TV. Glory be, the funk's on me.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby beach_terror » Sat May 21, 2011 9:50 am

Up early to work on this, ugh. So much for summer :cry:

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby traehekat » Sat May 21, 2011 11:13 am

how bad is it that i am legitimately expanding the schools i am considering transferring to just to get out of doing the write-on here at my current school. the bluebooking hasn't been that bad, but i seriously have no motivation to write this comment.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby beach_terror » Sat May 21, 2011 11:18 am

traehekat wrote:how bad is it that i am legitimately expanding the schools i am considering transferring to just to get out of doing the write-on here at my current school. the bluebooking hasn't been that bad, but i seriously have no motivation to write this comment.

CASE-NOTIN', CASE-NOTIN', YEAH - FUN FUN FUN (kill me, I'm losing my mind)

smittytron3k
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby smittytron3k » Sat May 21, 2011 2:21 pm

A day late, but head-of-state immunity and pre-emption can go fuck themselves. Also, I will never be able to sit in the rear inner seat of a car without worrying that my body will jackknife around my seatbelt again. At least I can take comfort in knowing that if I'm injured I can actually sue someone.

IthacaIsWet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:56 am

Re: The write-on thread

Postby IthacaIsWet » Sat May 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Man, if the rapture happens and I wasted all this time with the write-on, I'll be so pissed.

Not that I'll be saved in the rapture, but if the world is ending, I don't care about law review.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby beach_terror » Sat May 21, 2011 2:49 pm

IthacaIsWet wrote:Not that I'll be saved in the rapture, but if the world is ending, I don't care about law review.

Life is temporary, law review is forever.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: The write-on thread

Postby uwb09 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:27 pm

sorry to sound stupid, but still a tad unclear on how to do this

we got a primary case, secondary case, and a law review article. Do I just draft an opinion/note of the primary case, using the secondary case and law review article as citation sources?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby beach_terror » Sat May 21, 2011 3:31 pm

uwb09 wrote:sorry to sound stupid, but still a tad unclear on how to do this

we got a primary case, secondary case, and a law review article. Do I just draft an opinion/note of the primary case, using the secondary case and law review article as citation sources?

I have nothing useful to add, but I'm going to complain because that's all you have? For your entire thing? We have 500+ pages of sources for our case note.
:cry:

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby keg411 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:58 pm

uwb09 wrote:sorry to sound stupid, but still a tad unclear on how to do this

we got a primary case, secondary case, and a law review article. Do I just draft an opinion/note of the primary case, using the secondary case and law review article as citation sources?


Is your assignment to write a note or a case comment?

liLtuneChi
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby liLtuneChi » Sat May 21, 2011 7:47 pm

The law review writing component here at CLS was kinda fun. Although I would've preferred to have had more time so I could chill after finals, I must say I actually enjoyed working on the problem and writing the paper.

Am I sick in the mind?

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby moandersen » Sat May 21, 2011 8:09 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:The law review writing component here at CLS was kinda fun. Although I would've preferred to have had more time so I could chill after finals, I must say I actually enjoyed working on the problem and writing the paper.

Am I sick in the mind?


judging by your other thread, proclaiming that law school is easy, I would also say you may be a little egotistical. but yes, you are sick in the mind as well.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby weee » Sat May 21, 2011 8:25 pm

moandersen wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:The law review writing component here at CLS was kinda fun. Although I would've preferred to have had more time so I could chill after finals, I must say I actually enjoyed working on the problem and writing the paper.

Am I sick in the mind?


judging by your other thread, proclaiming that law school is easy, I would also say you may be a little egotistical. but yes, you are sick in the mind as well.


I don't hate it as much as finals because frankly I don't feel like as much is riding on it, and I enjoy the topic to some degree for mine, but I would in no way consider writing on "fun."

The good news for you is you will probably be just fine working a big law job and not burn out so quickly since your expectations for fun are pretty low.

User avatar
solotee
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby solotee » Sat May 21, 2011 8:40 pm

moandersen wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:The law review writing component here at CLS was kinda fun. Although I would've preferred to have had more time so I could chill after finals, I must say I actually enjoyed working on the problem and writing the paper.

Am I sick in the mind?


judging by your other thread, proclaiming that law school is easy, I would also say you may be a little egotistical. but yes, you are sick in the mind as well.



Haha

liLtuneChi
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby liLtuneChi » Sat May 21, 2011 8:53 pm

weee wrote:
moandersen wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:The law review writing component here at CLS was kinda fun. Although I would've preferred to have had more time so I could chill after finals, I must say I actually enjoyed working on the problem and writing the paper.

Am I sick in the mind?


judging by your other thread, proclaiming that law school is easy, I would also say you may be a little egotistical. but yes, you are sick in the mind as well.


I don't hate it as much as finals because frankly I don't feel like as much is riding on it, and I enjoy the topic to some degree for mine, but I would in no way consider writing on "fun."

The good news for you is you will probably be just fine working a big law job and not burn out so quickly since your expectations for fun are pretty low.


I guess the good news for me is that I probably won't be subject to the biglaw horror stories because I actually enjoy writing and crafting a good argument. It seems that most people who get into law actually don't like writing which I find amusing.

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby krj02004 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:04 pm

Ok....I need serious advice (be frank!). My law school's administrative advice is beyond non-helpful....

I have 9 days to complete LR write-on for my school (starting tonight).... my law school is ranked in the mid-20s. I'm a good writer and did relatively well in my LAWR classes, and I enjoy writing and research. My ultimate career goal is to be a staff attorney for a Court or a career clerk for a judge (which I've been told is pretty much the same thing task-wise). I've been told that LR is pretty crucial if that's what I want to do. That and high grades....which sucks, because I'm an average student grade-wise.

Honestly, I'm debating whether I should even write-on... I have a lot of stuff on my plate and even *if* I get on LR, I don't know if it will be wise in my situtation. Here is what I'm jugging now and in the fall:

---Currently taking a summer class and will be reasearching for a professor this summer along with doing a clerkship for a state district court judge.
----This fall I will be taking a full course load (obviously) plus a research assistant-ship, will be President of a student group, and also signed up to do Appellate Advocacy (1st semester moot court)

In addition to all of this, I'm a single mom (with no family support here at law school) and have a daughter with some special needs. Needless to say, I have a lot on my plate outside of law school. I just need some practical advice since I'm not the "average" law student. I feel as though I'm barely surviving right now with the grades I'm getting, and I don't want to do worse grade-wise this fall if I do LR. But I also do not want to give up on my career dreams.

I guess I need a reality check as to what my options are and what's realistic for a person in my situation.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: The write-on thread

Postby kalvano » Sat May 21, 2011 11:08 pm

Write-on. It's only a few days, and being successful can have a huge impact. You lose nothing by trying except for some time. But on the chance that you are successful, Law Review can make up for a lot when it comes to grades.

bodhis
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:13 am

Re: The write-on thread

Postby bodhis » Sat May 21, 2011 11:13 pm

don't debate about doing the write-on. do the write-on. take the time you need after you are finished with the write-on to think about those questions. if you don't get L Rev the decision is made. if you do get L Rev, you can always decide not to take it later. Since you just have avg grades, L Rev would be a great addition to your resume. At least give yourself the option to decide.

You should have at least a month to think about it after the write-on I'd guess.


krj02004 wrote:Ok....I need serious advice (be frank!). My law school's administrative advice is beyond non-helpful....

I have 9 days to complete LR write-on for my school (starting tonight).... my law school is ranked in the mid-20s. I'm a good writer and did relatively well in my LAWR classes, and I enjoy writing and research. My ultimate career goal is to be a staff attorney for a Court or a career clerk for a judge (which I've been told is pretty much the same thing task-wise). I've been told that LR is pretty crucial if that's what I want to do. That and high grades....which sucks, because I'm an average student grade-wise.

Honestly, I'm debating whether I should even write-on... I have a lot of stuff on my plate and even *if* I get on LR, I don't know if it will be wise in my situtation. Here is what I'm jugging now and in the fall:

---Currently taking a summer class and will be reasearching for a professor this summer along with doing a clerkship for a state district court judge.
----This fall I will be taking a full course load (obviously) plus a research assistant-ship, will be President of a student group, and also signed up to do Appellate Advocacy (1st semester moot court)

In addition to all of this, I'm a single mom (with no family support here at law school) and have a daughter with some special needs. Needless to say, I have a lot on my plate outside of law school. I just need some practical advice since I'm not the "average" law student. I feel as though I'm barely surviving right now with the grades I'm getting, and I don't want to do worse grade-wise this fall if I do LR. But I also do not want to give up on my career dreams.

I guess I need a reality check as to what my options are and what's realistic for a person in my situation.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby weee » Sun May 22, 2011 3:54 am

Nothing like getting 15 minutes into creating a clean copy of one of my footnotes for my bluebooking exercise only to make a mistake that I can't fix with whiteout. slightly raged, not doing it over.

aPosseAdEsse
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:19 am

Re: The write-on thread

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Sun May 22, 2011 5:24 am

smittytron3k wrote:A day late, but head-of-state immunity and pre-emption can go fuck themselves. Also, I will never be able to sit in the rear inner seat of a car without worrying that my body will jackknife around my seatbelt again. At least I can take comfort in knowing that if I'm injured I can actually sue someone.


you made me laugh. I am just so. drained. that was one of the most difficult and stressful intellectual challenges of my life. do you know how many people turned in a packet? maybe 250-300? I am doubting my decision to put so much effort into something I have 5% or less chance of succeeding at. the sick part? I still have finals to study for.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: The write-on thread

Postby kalvano » Sun May 22, 2011 9:50 am

weee wrote:Nothing like getting 15 minutes into creating a clean copy of one of my footnotes for my bluebooking exercise only to make a mistake that I can't fix with whiteout. slightly raged, not doing it over.



Do you have to handwrite? Fuxion pens. They are fantastic.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby traehekat » Sun May 22, 2011 11:01 am

kalvano wrote:
weee wrote:Nothing like getting 15 minutes into creating a clean copy of one of my footnotes for my bluebooking exercise only to make a mistake that I can't fix with whiteout. slightly raged, not doing it over.



Do you have to handwrite? Fuxion pens. They are fantastic.


you guys gotta check these things out, im not sure what they are called but they look pretty state of the art, and i have a feeling they might be the solution to all of your problems.

Image



(in the event that you are actually required to use pen instead of pencil, well that is just stupid)

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: The write-on thread

Postby beach_terror » Sun May 22, 2011 12:20 pm

The case note is actually interesting to me today (not sure why it wasn't yesterday). Making good progress, thank god.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests