The write-on thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
uwb09

Silver

Re: The write-on thread

Post by uwb09 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:23 pm

keg411 wrote:
uwb09 wrote:sorry to sound stupid, but still a tad unclear on how to do this

we got a primary case, secondary case, and a law review article. Do I just draft an opinion/note of the primary case, using the secondary case and law review article as citation sources?
Is your assignment to write a note or a case comment?
casenote

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Sun May 22, 2011 1:29 pm

traehekat wrote:
kalvano wrote:
weee wrote:Nothing like getting 15 minutes into creating a clean copy of one of my footnotes for my bluebooking exercise only to make a mistake that I can't fix with whiteout. slightly raged, not doing it over.

Do you have to handwrite? Fuxion pens. They are fantastic.
you guys gotta check these things out, im not sure what they are called but they look pretty state of the art, and i have a feeling they might be the solution to all of your problems.

(in the event that you are actually required to use pen instead of pencil, well that is just stupid)
Had to use red pen, and submit two copies, but they do accept color photocopy for the 2nd. It is what it is but I was pissed at the time of my mistake.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun May 22, 2011 1:54 pm

I still can't believe how unbelievably short my school's journal competition packet is, especially compared to some schools. The facts, statutes, and cases span 8 whole pages, and the memo is word-limited to 2200 words.

This has contributed to procrastination on my part, however. I have a pretty clean draft right now. I just need to edit it down a bit and double-check my citations. But there's really nothing all that complicated in terms of citations.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun May 22, 2011 9:30 pm

I really wish part of our selection for journals was based on grades. 60% grades and 40% writing competition sounds wonderful right about now...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun May 22, 2011 9:33 pm

beach_terror wrote:I really wish part of our selection for journals was based on grades. 60% grades and 40% writing competition sounds wonderful right about now...
+1,000

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Sun May 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Just turned in the worst submission in the history of law review. Oh well, at least I'm done? :|

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sun May 22, 2011 11:17 pm

This is miserable

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon May 23, 2011 3:26 am

Eventually I plan on opening this packet and starting this.

maybe

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Mon May 23, 2011 5:55 am

Good luck to everyone still working, that last 12 hours sucked

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

christmas mouse

New

Post by christmas mouse » Mon May 23, 2011 7:07 am

missinglink wrote:I still can't believe how unbelievably short my school's journal competition packet is, especially compared to some schools. The facts, statutes, and cases span 8 whole pages, and the memo is word-limited to 2200 words.
8 pages? That is so beyond amazing to the point where I can't even begin to try and wrap my head around it. Our packet is around 100 pages and we only had 48 hours to to finish.

Competition ends in 4 hours, which means I have been awake for 41 of the past 44 hours.

Amazed how fast this year went, and somewhat disheartened that the years are probably going to continue moving faster and faster until i become my grandfather. lame. That was a nice whine session. Good luck to everyone still working!

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:41 pm

At this point, I have only one motivation for finishing the write-on: If I make law review, I can hide in the law review office and attack every one of the fuckers that were responsible for this torture.

I'm one hour into bluebooking a single 2/3 page long citation, citing 6 different sources. Today is a dark day.

IthacaIsWet

New

Post by IthacaIsWet » Mon May 23, 2011 12:51 pm

mths wrote:This is miserable
The writing competition has turned me into a bitter shell of a human being.

Edit: Pretty sure I just found a massive flaw in the argument I've spent 2+ pages crafting. I may have to rethink the entire note. :(

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:09 pm

I've officially given up on the competition. I have no interest in clerking or academia (like either one is really possible from median at a T2). I was only doing it because of the small boost I'd get for OCI, but as my fiancee told me when I let her know I wasn't doing the competition: "You've never done anything because it looks good on a resume, so I was surprised you were competing to begin with."

Now I'm going to spend the rest of my week researching at home for my RA position with my favorite professor, playing a ton of video games, and relaxing before I start one of my internships next week. I think attendance at a baseball game might in order as well.

Good luck to those of you trudging on!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 pm

OGR3 wrote:I've officially given up on the competition. I have no interest in clerking or academia (like either one is really possible from median at a T2). I was only doing it because of the small boost I'd get for OCI, but as my fiancee told me when I let her know I wasn't doing the competition: "You've never done anything because it looks good on a resume, so I was surprised you were competing to begin with."

Now I'm going to spend the rest of my week researching at home for my RA position with my favorite professor, playing a ton of video games, and relaxing before I start one of my internships next week. I think attendance at a baseball game might in order as well.

Good luck to those of you trudging on!
you sir inspire me

joecane

New

Post by joecane » Mon May 23, 2011 10:31 pm

christmas mouse wrote:
missinglink wrote:I still can't believe how unbelievably short my school's journal competition packet is, especially compared to some schools. The facts, statutes, and cases span 8 whole pages, and the memo is word-limited to 2200 words.
8 pages? That is so beyond amazing to the point where I can't even begin to try and wrap my head around it. Our packet is around 100 pages and we only had 48 hours to to finish.

Competition ends in 4 hours, which means I have been awake for 41 of the past 44 hours.

Amazed how fast this year went, and somewhat disheartened that the years are probably going to continue moving faster and faster until i become my grandfather. lame. That was a nice whine session. Good luck to everyone still working!
I have 200 pages of source material and an 18 page blue book exercise. 4 days to complete.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:35 pm

We get 3 weeks, but, about 500 pgs of material, a 10 page note, and I havent' even looked at the blue booking so I have no idea. Problem was, I waited til' a week before it was due to even start. As apparently did a lot of people. But now i really have to get my ass in gear, and work on it all weekend. Ugh.

mythosopher

New

Post by mythosopher » Tue May 24, 2011 1:06 am

joecane wrote:
christmas mouse wrote:

I have 200 pages of source material and an 18 page blue book exercise. 4 days to complete.
Those kinds of competitions just make no sense to me. They are not about quality writing, editing, etc. but about who can pull the highest karat gold out of their ass, when everyone knows they can only make shit.

Grade-based competitions don't make sense either. Journal is most like legal writing classes, which typically don't count much a semester GPA. Add in the fact that people get screwed in the curve system. And sometimes (legitimately, multiple professors have noted this) grade-based competition winners are shitty journal workers because they don't actually give a damn about journal. They just wanted the title for their resume.

6 page BlueBook exercise, 2 page personal statement, and 82 pages of material we are allowed to use for a 6-8 page comment. That's all. And when it's due, we'll have had over 2 weeks to do it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Retiarius

New

Post by Retiarius » Tue May 24, 2011 11:55 am

mythosopher wrote:
joecane wrote:
christmas mouse wrote:

Those kinds of competitions just make no sense to me. They are not about quality writing, editing, etc. but about who can pull the highest karat gold out of their ass, when everyone knows they can only make shit.

Grade-based competitions don't make sense either. Journal is most like legal writing classes, which typically don't count much a semester GPA. Add in the fact that people get screwed in the curve system. And sometimes (legitimately, multiple professors have noted this) grade-based competition winners are shitty journal workers because they don't actually give a damn about journal. They just wanted the title for their resume.

6 page BlueBook exercise, 2 page personal statement, and 82 pages of material we are allowed to use for a 6-8 page comment. That's all. And when it's due, we'll have had over 2 weeks to do it.
There are people who want to be on Journal because they actually want to do the work that Journal entails?

Clearly, I'm doing the Writing Competition for the wrong reason.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue May 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Retiarius wrote:
mythosopher wrote:
joecane wrote:
christmas mouse wrote:

There are people who want to be on Journal because they actually want to do the work that Journal entails?

Clearly, I'm doing the Writing Competition for the wrong reason.
No. Those people are what we call masochists.

I'm with you. I'm just trying to do step 2 of the TLS formula:

1. Get into Top Law School
2. Make LR
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!!!

IthacaIsWet

New

Post by IthacaIsWet » Tue May 24, 2011 2:17 pm

The people who wrote Cornell's editing test are dirty evil sadistic misanthropic bastards.

Also, what's a bluebook and how do I even use this thing? HALP!!!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:22 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:

2. Make LR
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!!!
3. Get a judicial clerkship/amazing 2L summer associate position. Then PROFIT :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue May 24, 2011 5:33 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

2. Make LR
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!!!
3. Get a judicial clerkship/amazing 2L summer associate position. Then PROFIT :D
That smile is exactly what my face will hopefully look like. And I'll irrigate the grinning teeth with champagne.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue May 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Submitted my competition entry. God I hope I didn't screw up the citations. I tried to get fancy.

Alternatively, I hope I just grade on. Then this pointless, excruciating exercise will truly be pointless.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue May 24, 2011 10:05 pm

I guess I'm nuts. I enjoy editing, and hope I get picked for LR because I actually think I will like it. Pus, I would enjoy the OCI boost.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed May 25, 2011 9:51 am

kalvano wrote:I guess I'm nuts. I enjoy editing, and hope I get picked for LR because I actually think I will like it. Pus, I would enjoy the OCI boost.
Editing is fun because it's mindless. Everything else, not so much.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”