The write-on thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TTH

Diamond

Re: The write-on thread

Post by TTH » Sun May 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Oh God Fuck this shit. Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck This Shit.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sun May 15, 2011 5:49 pm

TTH wrote:Oh God Fuck this shit. Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck This Shit.
Agreed. Today and yesterday have been the nicest days of the year and my ass is stuck paying homage to the Bluebook gods

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun May 15, 2011 6:38 pm

fathergoose wrote:
Agreed. Today and yesterday have been the nicest days of the year and my ass is stuck paying homage to the Bluebook gods

You know what? Fuck a 5 page limit with double-spaced footnotes included.

Oh well, they said the writing part was very subjective and hard to grade and therefore not as important.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Sun May 15, 2011 10:08 pm

yes, this. My shit is due tomorrow and I still have no personal statement. How are you supposed to stay anonymous in personal statement in a 400 person school?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun May 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Is it weird that I enjoy the bluebook section much more than the memo-writing section? I love rule-based approaches and things that can be applied mechanically like this in some sort of puzzle-like form. Perhaps this is why I hated the study of constitutional law so much. Sure, its tedious, but I honestly don't mind it too much. Though my eyes are starting to hurt from staring at this bluebook.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:47 pm

The bluebook is killing me, and I'm just bluebooking the sources in my packet for now. I really don't think I'm going to be able to do the edits. How the fuck are you supposed to look all this shit up.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sun May 15, 2011 10:57 pm

I was trying to think of an eloquent way to describe how this whole process makes me feel, but I think this is much more accurate:

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun May 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Done. I look forward to the next month while I can pretend I have some vague shot at being on Law Review.

IthacaIsWet

New

Post by IthacaIsWet » Mon May 16, 2011 2:14 am

This thread will be handy for the hellish Cornell Writing Competition

- hundreds+++ pages get turned into a 7 page note.
- an "editing test" that the current LR editors have been giddy about making as hard as possible (italicized periods, etc, and sheer quantity of edits required)
- 10 days
- starts the day of our last final (technically starts the following day, but the packets are available on the day of the final, and you just know some goddamn people will start ASAP)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon May 16, 2011 2:41 am

IthacaIsWet wrote:This thread will be handy for the hellish Cornell Writing Competition

- an "editing test" that the current LR editors have been giddy about making as hard as possible (italicized periods, etc, and sheer quantity of edits required)
- 10 days
- starts the day of our last final (technically starts the following day, but the packets are available on the day of the final, and you just know some goddamn people will start ASAP)
Sounds like ours, except it was due 7 days from the first day the packets were distributed (last day of finals). And we had to hand-write the editing portion. :x

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon May 16, 2011 7:30 am

IthacaIsWet wrote:This thread will be handy for the hellish Cornell Writing Competition

- 10 days
Similar nautical vessels, only we had 10 pages and the clock started running for everyone as soon as the last final was over.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon May 16, 2011 9:39 am

anyone that expects people to catch italicized periods, should be castrated, burned, and have his ashes snorted by Charlie Sheen
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Mon May 16, 2011 10:13 am

kalvano wrote:Done. I look forward to the next month while I can pretend I have some vague shot at being on Law Review.
I know I am out of luck for smulr as that waived bye to me back in Jan. I was hopeful that I could sneak onto the stlr, but after considering my 3rd part of the write-on was only 3 1/2 pages and full of shit, ain't happenin son.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Mon May 16, 2011 11:12 am

maxpayne wrote:
kalvano wrote:Done. I look forward to the next month while I can pretend I have some vague shot at being on Law Review.
I know I am out of luck for smulr as that waived bye to me back in Jan. I was hopeful that I could sneak onto the stlr, but after considering my 3rd part of the write-on was only 3 1/2 pages and full of shit, ain't happenin son.
Chin up there, maxpayne, I'm sure you'll be fine.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 16, 2011 7:09 pm

maxpayne wrote:

Damn, that sucks. I had 5 pages, and then I had to double-space the footnotes and all of a sudden, I had to cut almost a page.

They said the writing part was, ironically, the least important part because it's very hard to grade. You'll get dinged for only 3.5 pages, but if your editing and BB is sound, that can make up for it. Also, you don't know your spring grades, so it might have pushed you into top 50% and thus eligible for SMULR. JST could easily happen.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon May 16, 2011 9:12 pm

It sucks that your footnotes counted toward your page count. We had to do endnotes which had an 8 page limit. Considering the text of the paper was a 7 page limit, that was pretty generous.

Everything else about it is sucked though. Really glad to be done.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon May 16, 2011 9:32 pm

i am in the middle of my writing competition now, and i'm freaking out. i thought i knew where i was going, but i'm doubting myself. i'm frustrated bc i have been working on this since friday, and i'm basically at square one. le sigh

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Mon May 16, 2011 9:51 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i am in the middle of my writing competition now, and i'm freaking out. i thought i knew where i was going, but i'm doubting myself. i'm frustrated bc i have been working on this since friday, and i'm basically at square one. le sigh
Same here. I have no idea if what I'm saying is even in the ballpark of a good answer. And I can't talk to anyone about it!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 pm

^
are you at CLS?

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Mon May 16, 2011 9:57 pm

No, harvard. Apparently we have the write-on competition at the same time? (Ours started last Friday and is due this Friday.)

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon May 16, 2011 9:58 pm

yep, 5/13 to 5/20. well, i commiserate with you

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Mon May 16, 2011 10:04 pm

kalvano wrote:
maxpayne wrote:

Damn, that sucks. I had 5 pages, and then I had to double-space the footnotes and all of a sudden, I had to cut almost a page.

They said the writing part was, ironically, the least important part because it's very hard to grade. You'll get dinged for only 3.5 pages, but if your editing and BB is sound, that can make up for it. Also, you don't know your spring grades, so it might have pushed you into top 50% and thus eligible for SMULR. JST could easily happen.
Thanks for the encouragement bro. I guess it is all a waiting game now.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon May 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Essay portion (20% of the grade): Done.

Bluebook portion (80% of the grade): Not til June 18th. 10 days, should take 50-80 hours total, and I'm missing PRIDE to do it... :(

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Mon May 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Kretzy wrote:Essay portion (20% of the grade): Done.

Bluebook portion (80% of the grade): Not til June 18th. 10 days, should take 50-80 hours total, and I'm missing PRIDE to do it... :(
That's rough. All I'm missing right now is some crappy weather.

Also, June 18? Wouldn't that interfere with people's summer jobs?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon May 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Chichaca wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Essay portion (20% of the grade): Done.

That's rough. All I'm missing right now is some crappy weather.

Also, June 18? Wouldn't that interfere with people's summer jobs?
You get 5 options for the essay (72 hours over a weekend), 4 of which are during the school year. 2 options for the editing, one of which ends tomorrow, the other of which is during the summer.

But yes, I'll be a week into my summer job when I start the edits. It'll be a shitty week and two boring weekends for the 1/3 chance-or-so to get on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”