curves with international LLMs who get extra exam time

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dru617

curves with international LLMs who get extra exam time

Postby dru617 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:28 pm

I just took an exam in a class that was well over 50% international LLMs who get extra exam time (I think they get like an extra hour on a three hour exam - not sure). Everyone is on a combined curve. Some of the LLMs clearly don't have a solid grasp on English, but others are quite fluent. Thus, the across-the-board extra time is highly over and underinclusive, basically throwing the curve into a crapshoot. Anyone have experience on how these things generally pan out? I feel like the curve is basically delegitimized. I have no problem with them getting the extra time, but I think they should just junk the curve in cases where a substantial percentage of a class is comprised of LLMs.

Thoughts?

blackandyellow

Re: curves with international LLMs who get extra exam time

Postby blackandyellow » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:36 pm

My buddy at case western told me that 1L non-native english speakers get extra time on their LS exams. I think they get 1/3 more time on exams and are graded on the same curve as 1L students. He said that even with the extra time, they tend to do below median. I think each section only had like 2-3 non-native english speakers so the curve isnt really "distorted."

Sogui

Re: curves with international LLMs who get extra exam time

Postby Sogui » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:35 pm

The general consensus at my school is that generally LLM's help pad the lower ends of the curve and that is one reason why 2L classes can seem much more generous with their grades.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”