Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Younger Abstention
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby Younger Abstention » Tue May 03, 2011 5:26 pm

I've tried this, and usually get a B/B+. If i put in the work all semester, I get an A or A-. Everyone works differently, so careful (-- especially if you're at a top school this probably won't be enough if you want A's)

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby Gotti » Mon May 07, 2012 9:36 am

jkay wrote:
Kaves wrote:I know you may find this hard to believe but even Xeoh had 4 posts at some point,


OP is MEDIAN. It's better than being below median, no doubt, but hardly something the average TLS'er strives for.

Since I just saw this thread because I have a contracts exam in a week that I know nothing about, I'm going to point out that OP said he was median LSAT and GPA. And like MQ said, 3.4+ is usually top 30%...it's top 20% at Fordham if I'm remembering correctly. ...I'll take top 20% lol

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby Gotti » Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 am

Btw, cramming totally works for me. I learned property in 2 weeks last semester (might have actually been less) and got one of only a few coveted As. It's not for everyone though and I have a feeling it's going to backfire on me on this contracts exam.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12586
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby jessuf » Mon May 07, 2012 10:21 am

I have mixed results with this. My two A's were civ pro and contracts. For civ pro, though I didn't really study too much for the final at the end of the semester, I did do practice problems and old exams and went to see the professor with questions throughout the semester. For contracts, I did 0 study because it was my last exam, and I stopped caring. I didn't make an outline or crack any of my supplements, nor did I ever pay attention in class. However, I feel like contracts is a class you can do that in, but crim is not.

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby tedalbany » Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 am

2 weeks? Gunner.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby sundance95 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:35 am

Jessuf wrote:I have mixed results with this. My two A's were civ pro and contracts. For civ pro, though I didn't really study too much for the final at the end of the semester, I did do practice problems and old exams and went to see the professor with questions throughout the semester. For contracts, I did 0 study because it was my last exam, and I stopped caring. I didn't make an outline or crack any of my supplements, nor did I ever pay attention in class. However, I feel like contracts is a class you can do that in, but crim is not.

Yeah, attempting a one week cram of Civ Pro, with all its moving parts, doesn't sound like a great idea. Torts? Not a problem.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby goodolgil » Tue May 08, 2012 1:15 pm

tedalbany wrote:2 weeks? Gunner.


Seriously though, aside from not doing the readings this probably what 75%+ of upperclassmen do and a lot of what 1Ls do also. 2 weeks is a shit load of time to prepare for a final

jjlaw
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby jjlaw » Tue May 08, 2012 11:45 pm

There's definitely something here. I find that 3/4 of the semester while we're learning the law, there's really not much you can do to enhance your understanding of the material besides reading, going to class, and taking notes. Once you're in the last 1/4 of the semester, the material all comes together and you start seeing the big picture. Once you can see the big picture and actually work on practice problems without thinking "wtf," then the work is actually productive and quite fun. I did the whole "work through the semester" thing my first semester as well, and I definitely think most of the time was wasted, and I didn't actually "learn" until the last month or so. And by then, I was burnt out. I got median-pwned, of course. I'm hoping that a different approach will reward me this semester, but we'll see.

User avatar
Dick Dastardly
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby Dick Dastardly » Wed May 09, 2012 1:50 am

sundance95 wrote:Yeah, attempting a one week cram of Civ Pro, with all its moving parts, doesn't sound like a great idea. Torts? Not a problem.

You can learn Torts I in about a day, honestly. Contracts might take two.

But when I tried that with Civ Pro, things did not go well for me.

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby tedalbany » Wed May 09, 2012 2:00 am

Dick Dastardly wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Yeah, attempting a one week cram of Civ Pro, with all its moving parts, doesn't sound like a great idea. Torts? Not a problem.

You can learn Torts I in about a day, honestly. Contracts might take two.

But when I tried that with Civ Pro, things did not go well for me.


I did it with Civ Pro. Feel OK about it, not great. Will be able to attest for/against it in about 4 weeks.

TFR
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby TFR » Wed May 09, 2012 9:28 am

My thoughts on 1L courses:

Doable: Ks and Torts

Possibly doable if you are a math person: Civ Pro

Probably not doable: Property

Not doable: Conlaw

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed May 09, 2012 1:47 pm

From my personal experience: I don't think you could get an above median grade in most classes at a T14 by cramming for a week if you haven't gone to all the classes and done all of the reading. BUT, if you've done all the reading and gone to class and paid attention, it's just a matter of recalling what you supposedly learned and this could be done in 1-3 days depending on how much was covered in class.

thesteelers
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 am

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby thesteelers » Wed May 09, 2012 4:52 pm

tedalbany wrote:
Dick Dastardly wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Yeah, attempting a one week cram of Civ Pro, with all its moving parts, doesn't sound like a great idea. Torts? Not a problem.

You can learn Torts I in about a day, honestly. Contracts might take two.

But when I tried that with Civ Pro, things did not go well for me.


I did it with Civ Pro. Feel OK about it, not great. Will be able to attest for/against it in about 4 weeks.


Did it with Civ Pro too. Convinced I got a C or lower today.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby goodolgil » Wed May 09, 2012 5:44 pm

TFR wrote:My thoughts on 1L courses:

Doable: Ks and Torts

Possibly doable if you are a math person: Civ Pro

Probably not doable: Property

Not doable: Conlaw


What math do you need to know for civ pro?

User avatar
Dick Dastardly
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby Dick Dastardly » Thu May 10, 2012 4:25 am

goodolgil wrote:
TFR wrote:My thoughts on 1L courses:

Doable: Ks and Torts

Possibly doable if you are a math person: Civ Pro

Probably not doable: Property

Not doable: Conlaw


What math do you need to know for civ pro?

I think he means more of the mechanistic, "if A then B, but if C, then D" logical process which is in a lot (but not all) of Civ Pro. Which isn't really math, but it isn't crazy to think of it as math - some of the better Civ Pro responses I've seen looked a hell of a lot like narrated geometry proofs.

waxecstatic
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby waxecstatic » Thu May 10, 2012 12:40 pm

Did the OP say he got an A in contracts and went to his professor to go over the exam?

Cramming is studying a day or two before the final. 2 weeks is called preparing.

Breezin
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby Breezin » Thu May 10, 2012 2:17 pm

.
Last edited by Breezin on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Cramming Guide: Ace Your Exam in 2 Weeks

Postby Sandro » Thu May 10, 2012 7:59 pm

How is 2 weeks "cramming"? Cramming is 12 hours.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests