inverse unilateral contract?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
alllucknotalent

inverse unilateral contract?

Postby alllucknotalent » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:44 pm

contracts argument

Person 1- "I will give you my baseball if you give me $10"
Person 2- doesn't say anything but gives the person $10 the next day

was this a unilateral offer by person 1 because the contract was made by person 2's performance or
is it a bi-latteral because the performance is the consideration...

havent went over bilateral unilaterral in a semester and want to end a debate

StyrofoamWar

Re: inverse unilateral contract?

Postby StyrofoamWar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:26 pm

alllucknotalent wrote:contracts argument

was this a unilateral offer by person 1 because the contract was made by person 2's performance or

Took this last semester, could be very rusty, but here goes:

Offers made face-to-face typically expire if not accepted during that interaction. Person 2 didn't say anything or respond in any way, no consideration has occurred to create an option contract (keep the offer open), offer is terminated and person 2's tender after the fact is irrelevant.

EDIT: Realized I was assuming P1 wanted to get out of the "contract", which you didn't say. Whoops.

Promise in exchange for performance (I promise to pay you if you do X)= offer looking to unilateral contract

Promise in exchange for promise (I promise to pay you if you promise to give me your basketball) = offer looking to bilateral contract

Performance is consideration (detriment induced by promise) as well, but the presence of consideration doesn't make this a bilateral contract.

alllucknotalent

Re: inverse unilateral contract?

Postby alllucknotalent » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:49 pm

StyrofoamWar wrote:
alllucknotalent wrote:contracts argument

Took this last semester, could be very rusty, but here goes:

Offers made face-to-face typically expire if not accepted during that interaction. Person 2 didn't say anything or respond in any way, no consideration has occurred to create an option contract (keep the offer open), offer is terminated and person 2's tender after the fact is irrelevant.

EDIT: Realized I was assuming P1 wanted to get out of the "contract", which you didn't say. Whoops.

Promise in exchange for performance (I promise to pay you if you do X)= offer looking to unilateral contract

Promise in exchange for promise (I promise to pay you if you promise to give me your basketball) = offer looking to bilateral contract

Performance is consideration (detriment induced by promise) as well, but the presence of consideration doesn't make this a bilateral contract.

so it is unilateral?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”