Summer Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
emorystud2010

Summer Question

Postby emorystud2010 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:39 am

Ok.
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Re: Summer Question

Postby dood » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:48 am

i partied like a rockstar and studied for the patent bar and played modern warfare. if i wasnt a patent dood, i would have just partied and played modern warfare. since ur grades dont matter after 1L, i fail to see the point in doing anything to further ur legal education (so scratch studying or researching for ur note). but i would advise u to do some networking to further ur legal career if u'r interested in the firm thing.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:09 pm

I agree on no researching. I'd suggest brushing up on current legal topics and possibly some casual reading in the area of practice you are interested in.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:42 pm

I don't think there is any right answer. I'm trying to pad the resume a bit, so I am working for Legal Aid and interning for a judge.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Here's a happy balance between useless gunning and blissful relaxation:

Get one of Garner's books on legal writing. This is an area where you can probably actually improve before school starts (doubly if you have a graded LRW), and it might even possibly help you write better exam answers. My only caveat is that you should know that Garner is a heretic on some conventions of legal writing; know this and don't argue with your LRW prof/employers if they tell you something different.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:50 pm

For me: Working an internship, summer classes, and completing my write-on application in case I don't grade on. Can't count on anything in life you know?

Outside of that...boating. Lots and lots and lots of boating. Can't wait to bring her out of winter storage. :mrgreen:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:29 pm

My summer will look one of two ways:

Work. Freak out about OCI. Beach/partying/hanging with friends. Freak out about OCI some more. Send out 800 targeted mailings to BigLawl. Hope I get into T13.

OR

Work. Cry because my grades busted this semester and I didn't make LR. Learn how to network. Send out 800 targeted mailings to personal injury/insurance defense/shitlaw firms. Cry some more.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:32 pm

I was fervently trying to find something to do for the second half of the summer when I realized it was all volunteer work, I already had a couple of cool things lined up, and I decided beer and Netflix streaming for the second half is a perfectly viable option.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:21 pm

keg411 wrote:My summer will look one of two ways:

Work. Freak out about OCI. Beach/partying/hanging with friends. Freak out about OCI some more. Send out 800 targeted mailings to BigLawl. Hope I get into T13.

OR

Work. Cry because my grades busted this semester and I didn't make LR. Learn how to network. Send out 800 targeted mailings to personal injury/insurance defense/shitlaw firms. Cry some more.

These are my exact summer plans too!!!

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:27 pm

I just realized I misread the OP; I thought this was yet another 0L summer thread. So, I retract my advice.

My advice now is: pretty much nothing. If you're thinking about writing a note, maybe spend a few minutes vaguely thinking about a topic, but don't go overboard. Otherwise, there's nothing you really ought to be doing.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:14 pm

DO NOT waste time researching note topics. Come on, seriously try to enjoy your summer. If you want to do some padding work for the resume, do some volunteer work for a good cause you believe in. Not only will it make you feel good for helping, it will give you something interesting "non law related" in your OCI interviews, which trust me can go a long way - after 20 + interviews in a day, those interviewers get tired of hearing the same "Oh my summer clerkship was GREAT because I was able to ... blah blah blah"

Best advice, relax and enjoy yourself during summer - your "summer breaks" are quickly coming to an end soon.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:41 pm

First 2-3 weeks of summer = Have fun with friends, reintroduce myself to video games, meet family, etc.
Next 12 weeks = Work as much as they let me, network, any work related social events etc. If free time, hang out with friends.
Final Week or Two before classes: Relax and have fun.

I am applying for some T10 transfers (maybe T14) so first couple weeks of summer will also be spent on applications, and if I choose to transfer, the last couple weeks will be filled with arranging accommodations/moving. But, assuming I don't transfer, the above is my basic plan.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:37 pm

random5483 wrote:First 2-3 weeks of summer = Have fun with friends, reintroduce myself to video games, meet family, etc.
Next 12 weeks = Work as much as they let me, network, any work related social events etc. If free time, hang out with friends.

I am applying for some T10 transfers (maybe T14) so first couple weeks of summer will also be spent on applications, and if I choose to transfer, the last couple weeks will be filled with arranging accommodations/moving. But, assuming I don't transfer, the above is my basic plan.

Maybe it's my addled finals brain, but I found the bolded humorous. Since you're being reintroduced to video games, but meeting your family, on first read it seemed like you were meeting your family for the first time... like being adopted or maybe you got some chick knocked up and haven't met your kid yet.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:07 pm

king3780 wrote:
random5483 wrote:First 2-3 weeks of summer = Have fun with friends, reintroduce myself to video games, meet family, etc.

Maybe it's my addled finals brain, but I found the bolded humorous. Since you're being reintroduced to video games, but meeting your family, on first read it seemed like you were meeting your family for the first time... like being adopted or maybe you got some chick knocked up and haven't met your kid yet.

lol

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:39 pm

The only reason I'll be doing any reading is to get an idea on what I might want to write my A-paper on. When I finish that reading I'll be playing PS3, going to Rangers game, and enjoying the pool at my friend's downtown apartment.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:43 am

king3780 wrote:

lol.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”