Working at a small firm part time during 2L year?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Royal

Working at a small firm part time during 2L year?

Postby Royal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:56 am

Has anyone done this? I'd like to go solo eventually and would love to actually get some hands on experience in a small firm. I'm a 1L now and I'd like to do this next year if it's feasible, but I'm not sure if any firms really want to hire a part time law student to work only a few hours per day, 2-3 days per week. My school allows externships, but I'd rather make money than spend money to work.

blsingindisguise

Re: Working at a small firm part time during 2L year?

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:59 am

Did this 3L year. I really enjoyed it, got a lot out of it, and making money made me feel less anxious. The only thing is that it can be hard to strike a balance between school and work, since the nature of law firm work is such that you'll often be tempted to spend extra hours there in order to make a good impression. Which you should do, but you have to have some limits and make it clear that school is still a priority.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”