How Important is Law Review?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
socraticmethodman

How Important is Law Review?

Postby socraticmethodman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Many people on TLS talk about the significance of law review, so I decided to start a thread about it. My question; How important is making law review? Is it pretty much essential for obtaining a clerkship? Are there any jobs that pretty much require law review?

Thanks in advance.

Veyron

Re: How Important is Law Review?

Postby Veyron » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:03 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Many people on TLS talk about the significance of law review, so I decided to start a thread about it. My question; How important is making law review? Is it pretty much essential for obtaining a clerkship? Are there any jobs that pretty much require law review?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the school broham. Pretty much not essential at Yale unless you want SCOTUS or COA. Critical at most schools below the T-14.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 pm

It is ESSENTIAL for clerkships. The digital system that federal judges use for clerkships now allows them to screen all applicants simply by checking a box. Regardless of how qualified you are, your resume is unlikely to make it through to a human without it.

nigelfrost

Postby nigelfrost » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:07 pm

Important.

Surely you could have found this out by using the search function.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Depends on school rank. Below T14, Grades matter most between the top 10-20% ranks. At my T50, I would say that for getting non-clerkship positions, top 10% with secondary J. > top 20% with LR, by quite a big margin. Even if the latter is top 15%, I'd still take the former.

Rabbi Marshak

Postby Rabbi Marshak » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:29 pm

nigelfrost wrote:Important.

Surely you could have found this out by using the search function.

He could have found this out by using the search function. And don't call him Shirley.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:38 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Many people on TLS talk about the significance of law review, so I decided to start a thread about it. My question; How important is making law review? Is it pretty much essential for obtaining a clerkship? Are there any jobs that pretty much require law review?

Thanks in advance.

It looks like you're going to be attending UVA.

Based on that, I have to say that you've posed a difficult question for a couple of reasons:

(1) Our LR has more grade on spots than write on spots. You're number one job in school is to get good grades. So, you should be trying to get good grades for the sake of good grades. If you get good enough grades (top 6% to 7%), you'll get LR.

(2) Even if you don't grade on to LR, it certainly has tremendous benefits. At any given grade range, employers will prefer LR member to non LR member.

(3) Plenty of people not on LR get district court clerkships at UVA; however, the vast majority of COA clerkships (and perhaps all this past year) were obtained by people on LR.

So, yes, LR is important, but it's also not something that you have very much control over. You should already be trying to get good grades and you should take the write-on tryout seriously. But, it certainly isn't the end of the world if you don't get it.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:08 am

Cupidity wrote:It is ESSENTIAL for clerkships. The digital system that federal judges use for clerkships now allows them to screen all applicants simply by checking a box. Regardless of how qualified you are, your resume is unlikely to make it through to a human without it.

This is a huge exaggeration for the top schools, but probably true for lower ranked schools.

LR will open up a lot of options, no matter the school you're at.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:01 am

Making Law Review at UVA is basically essential for circuit court clerkships, and thus, the opportunities that they can lead to (certain government positions, academia, appellate litigation practice, etc.), but it's certainly not necessary for "big law" jobs and district court clerkships. The nice thing about attending a top ten school is that you don't need to make Law Review to get an amazing job after graduation.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:08 am

Important enough that after the 8.5 month rat race that is called "1L" I will start work the Monday after exams, and will start the write-on the same day.

I am so not looking forward to May.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:17 pm

Law review is the single most important activity you can do while in law school. With that said, it is only one activity, and a lack of law review won't end your chances.

As others have said, those in higher ranked schools can get clerkships without law review; however, even for them, law review can help with getting the more prestigious clerkships.

Law review is not a substitute for good grades, but in combination with good grades and internship experience, law review can make you stand out from the other applicants for any job.

ok2bedifferent

Postby ok2bedifferent » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:43 pm

It's good to have, but not essential. I personally ranked law review behind a 2nd journal. why? b/c it gave me the opportunity to work directly with people in the IP field and with students with a genuine interest in IP. it's all up to you, law review is overhyped IMO.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Law review is the third most important important variable, behind only the school you attend and your grades. Not being on LR will not close any doors outside of clerkships, but being on LR, by itself, can get you into the interview room with biglaw firms, federal government agencies, etc.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”