2L Schedule -- Too BLL?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TTH

2L Schedule -- Too BLL?

Postby TTH » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:28 pm

Fall
Appellate Advocacy (req.)
Civ Pro II
BA
Legal Negotiations and Settlement
Nonprofit Law (described as BA for nonprofits)

Spring
PR
Evidence
Law and Medicine
EITHER Tax or Commercial Law (a six-hour course combining sec. transactions, sales, and commercial paper)

I was aiming for a balance of doctrinal courses and bullshit, but I feel like I wound up too BLL-heavy, thoughts?

cornellbeez

Re: 2L Schedule -- Too BLL?

Postby cornellbeez » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:33 pm

PR?

Your schedule sounds fine.

(My 2L schedule included Corporations, Tax, Tax practicum, Bankruptcy, Commercial Transactions, and Sec Reg...)

Not sure what is standard at your school, but 5 classes in one semester might be too much.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:55 pm

TTH wrote:a six-hour course combining sec. transactions, sales, and commercial paper

omfg.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:59 pm

How many classes is that fall semester? I plan on taking 3 (4) credit classes to leave time for the job hunt. You may want to consider lightening your load.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:16 pm

Cupidity wrote:How many classes is that fall semester? I plan on taking 3 (4) credit classes to leave time for the job hunt. You may want to consider lightening your load.

If you're at a school with heavy OCI, this is very true. You'll miss/not pay attention to the first month or two of classes in the fall.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:32 pm

TTH wrote:Fall
Appellate Advocacy (req.)
Civ Pro II
BA
Legal Negotiations and Settlement
Nonprofit Law (described as BA for nonprofits)

Spring
PR
Evidence
Law and Medicine
EITHER Tax or Commercial Law (a six-hour course combining sec. transactions, sales, and commercial paper)

I was aiming for a balance of doctrinal courses and bullshit, but I feel like I wound up too BLL-heavy, thoughts?

Really up to you on this one. I personally prefer a 90% doctrinal workload. I think all employers and judges like to see doctrinal classes, so having "too much" doctrine certainly won't hurt you.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
TTH wrote:a six-hour course combining sec. transactions, sales, and commercial paper

omfg.

:lol:

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 pm

I wanted to have a blowoff class or two but the only blowoff classes that wouldn't SOUND like blowoff classes on my transcript were all scooped up by 3L's before I had a chance.

My schedule is about as BLL as yours is.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”