Legal Research etc.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
knowledgenotebook

Legal Research etc.

Postby knowledgenotebook » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 pm

All right at the risk of sounding silly... when you do legal research or something like that you would collect, bookmark etc. quite a bit of relevant resources, how would you cross reference them easily and extract key info from each? And later, you may come back to some of them again...

Would a tool that give you an ability to maintain the "key theme" on one side of the screen and an ability to view the key concept of each search material (supporting evidence or the like?) and be able to bring it up if needed help a lot? Sort of like many senior professors using two computer screens at his/her desk... but even more helpful than that...

I have an image to most accurately demonstrate the idea but don't want to post it here...

Baylan

Re: Legal Research etc.

Postby Baylan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:54 am

knowledgenotebook wrote:All right at the risk of sounding silly... when you do legal research or something like that you would collect, bookmark etc. quite a bit of relevant resources, how would you cross reference them easily and extract key info from each? And later, you may come back to some of them again...

Would a tool that give you an ability to maintain the "key theme" on one side of the screen and an ability to view the key concept of each search material (supporting evidence or the like?) and be able to bring it up if needed help a lot? Sort of like many senior professors using two computer screens at his/her desk... but even more helpful than that...

I have an image to most accurately demonstrate the idea but don't want to post it here...

Legal Research sucks.

I don't understand what you're trying to do.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:30 am

WestlawNext allows you to save research in folders and highlight things in cases, which is then saved. You can also make notes directly on the cases while you read.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:52 am

knowledgenotebook wrote:All right at the risk of sounding silly... when you do legal research or something like that you would collect, bookmark etc. quite a bit of relevant resources, how would you cross reference them easily and extract key info from each? And later, you may come back to some of them again...

Would a tool that give you an ability to maintain the "key theme" on one side of the screen and an ability to view the key concept of each search material (supporting evidence or the like?) and be able to bring it up if needed help a lot?

I have just such a tool. I looks like this :

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:18 am

Renzo wrote:

Would a tool that give you an ability to maintain the "key theme" on one side of the screen and an ability to view the key concept of each search material (supporting evidence or the like?) and be able to bring it up if needed help a lot?

I have just such a tool. I looks like this :

Lol! But it's true, old fashion pen and paper work the best!

Otherwise, what I suggest is downloading all the cases in PDF to a specific file folder, named by reporter (e.g., 12 P.3d 456). The newest version of Adobe reader enabled highlighting and comments, so use those to make it easy to find the important stuff. Also create a word document or spreadsheet that acts as a table of contents, with the holding or issues noted with the case name. TADA!

knowledgenotebook

Postby knowledgenotebook » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:29 pm

All right, I think some of you lack imagination (not that legal matter requires much of it... but holistic view tends to generate insights...
here you go,
[url]http://www.knowledgenotebook.com/tutorials/notesassociation1.html##highlevel[/url]

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:44 pm

1.) Open WestlawNext in your browser
2.) Roll face on the keyboard
3.) ???
4.) Get A+ on brief

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”