Elective share or pretermitted spouse Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
24secure

New

Elective share or pretermitted spouse

Post by 24secure » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:04 pm

First, no 1L responses please.

If the spouse of T is left out of the will, does it matter if she decides to claim her elective share or can she take whatever the UPC's pretermitted spouse section (assuming the state has enacted the UPC)? Can she do whatever will get her the most money. Basically I'm just confused as to when to apply the elective share, or if you can apply the elective share when a spouse is left out of the will.

Thanks.

king3780

Bronze

Re: Elective share or pretermitted spouse

Post by king3780 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:12 am

24secure wrote:First, no 1L responses please.

If the spouse of T is left out of the will, does it matter if she decides to claim her elective share or can she take whatever the UPC's pretermitted spouse section (assuming the state has enacted the UPC)? Can she do whatever will get her the most money. Basically I'm just confused as to when to apply the elective share, or if you can apply the elective share when a spouse is left out of the will.

Thanks.
2L, currently in Trusts and Estates. It's my understanding the elective share is always an option that the surviving spouse can elect to have applied. She can look at a pretermitted spouse statute, what's in the will or what the elective share would be and decide which will get her the most money.

24secure

New

Re: Elective share or pretermitted spouse

Post by 24secure » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:41 am

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for helping me out.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”