Tailoring exams to a professor's ideology?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bozak

Tailoring exams to a professor's ideology?

Postby bozak » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:08 pm

My ConLaw professor is pretty liberal in his lectures and articles. Better to pander to a professor's viewpoint or to represent both sides neutrally? Any thoughts/experiences on the best route?

Always Credited

Re: Tailoring exams to a professor's ideology?

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:39 pm

bozak wrote:My ConLaw professor is pretty liberal in his lectures and articles. Better to pander to a professor's viewpoint or to represent both sides neutrally? Any thoughts/experiences on the best route?

Make your best arguments for each side, and if the question calls for you to come down on a particular side ("State how you think SCOTUS would decide the issue, and why" or "State how you would decide the issue") just be honest. Your best writing and arguments will always come through when you're honest in your opinions. Assuming of course that you base your opinions on what you learned in the class.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:30 pm

I subtly pander to their ideology. I recommend this.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:44 pm

2 PROTIPS on tailoring:

1. google ur prof to see which way she generally leans. i.e. one of my profs is a board member of the NRA so of course i made sure to come out PRO 2nd amend.

2. if ur prof likes a particular policy argument, use it. i.e. if ur prof brings up the tragedy of the anticommons in 7 separate lectures, dear god, please type that phrase at least 7 types in ur exam. (u'll prolly get a point each time too)

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Be careful though, one of my Prof's this semester admitted that when he teaches Con Law, he likes to put one question in there where he thinks that the strongest argument comes out against his political leanings.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”