How to deal with imposter syndrome

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bk1

Re: How to deal with imposter syndrome

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:39 pm

Verity wrote:Egregious anti-splitter trolling.

Agreed. I need to stop trolling myself.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:43 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
thecilent wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
thecilent wrote:"a really good T30" lol

Douchebaggery necessary? T30 with scholarship can be a worthwhile investment.

Agreed. Stop making assumptions.

Maybe you should stop making simplistic, borderline-trolling comments that prompt such assumptions.

To be fair,

meh

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
aliarrow wrote:Splitters seem to do best in law school since they have the most raw intelligence.

This is only marginally so and even then it is irrelevant since LSAT scores are very tightly clustered at each school, meaning that splitters are rarely that far off from the rest of the class.

Yeah I agree. And it isn't a perfect measure of intelligence by any means, I just think it is more indicative than GPA, but that's a debate for another thread.
Still, I'd rather go up against a 3.8/165 than a 3.1/172 any day.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:53 pm

Everyone has moments where they feel like the dumbest one in the classroom. Its a natural part of the process. I can't tell you how many times I feel like everyone else is running intellectual circles around me, and I essentially feel like I'm a spectator to a class that everyone else is fully engaged in. Yet I did fine first semester despite all of that. Don't let it psych you out, especially not this early.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:55 pm

Always Credited wrote:1.) don't be a bitch; sack up and quit being scared.

2.) your classmates are as smart or smarter than you. luckily, this doesn't matter in any way whatsoever.

3.) watch braveheart until #1 makes sense.

TITCR

Man the fuck up... No easy way out my man..

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:58 pm

I can definitely sympathize with OP. As a straight-from-undergrad 0L with no real work experience and no significant softs, I was definitely a little intimidated when I started seeing the accomplishments and backgrounds of my future classmates. But then I remembered that I'm fucking awesome, and we all begin from the same starting point in law school.

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Peg wrote:So I'm actually a 0L until this fall, but I've already met up twice with some groups of future classmates who will be joining me at my T30 law school, and my issue is about how to deal with...well, it feels like imposter syndrome to be honest.

I'm pretty much straight from undergrad --> law, but I graduated a semester early so I've had a little break before law school begins. I've only got a couple of unpaid internships and one campus job under my belt. I was a massive, massive slacker and idiot in UG and only pulled myself together in the last year of undergrad and while studying for the LSAT. I'm going to a really good T30 law school (don't want to name it because I suspect some of the people I met are also on TLS), and I'm a little puzzled as to how I got admitted.

My future classmates are older than I am, and seem very worldly and accomplished and just savvy to my eyes. Some of them are Fulbright Scholars. Some of them left quite well-paying jobs for this. Many of them went to better UG schools than mine - not just the Ivies, but also the top public schools, liberal arts colleges and women's colleges. They've done some really incredible and difficult internships. They already seem so confident about 1L year, which really threw me because I feel wary and ignorant about it even though I've read GTM and am going through LEEWS.

I guess I just feel like...I didn't know my competition would be so formidable, first of all, and secondly, I feel so young and inexperienced and unprepared in comparison. How will I be able to hold my own against them? Why did the adcoms think I would be able to hold my own against them, for that matter? Like all 0Ls, I nurture hopes of finishing high in my class and generally performing really well - but I seem to have superachievers wrecking my curve!

How many of you have met future classmates so far? Did you go away with this feeling? Okay I'm generally not an insecure stressball, to be honest, but I guess I was just...taken aback. How do you deal with imposter syndrome, if this is indeed imposter syndrome?

I'm very happy that someone posted this... It's not strange to feel like that - there's a reason why the phenomenon has a name. I was discussing my options with a friend who happens to be a therapist ( :) I promise) and although she thought strongly that I shouldn't go to my higher ranked option, when I mentioned that I was intimidated she got extremely forceful and said "You know exactly what you have to know, and you are exactly as prepared as you need to be". Then she mentioned the impostor phenomenon, and said that many, many people go through it.

I started a topic a few months ago called "HYS intimidation" because I worried that going from my crappy undergrad to a top school was getting in way over my head. In the thread, everyone was like, "lulz, man up bitch" but I got PMs from a good few students at HYS who validating the feeling, but said that you'll soon see that nobody is inherently more qualified or better prepared than anyone else.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:08 pm

aliarrow wrote:Yeah I agree. And it isn't a perfect measure of intelligence by any means, I just think it is more indicative than GPA, but that's a debate for another thread.
Still, I'd rather go up against a 3.8/165 than a 3.1/172 any day.

It is more indicative than GPA, but GPA's are more varied than LSAT's (though still not by much) and together they still only account for 20% of grades.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Yet another thread where the GPA vs. LSAT rages (on the current law student forum?!).

The way it was explained to me before I got to law school is your LSAT score tells you whether you're capable of doing it, your GPA tells you whether you have the willpower/drive to actually use those capabilities and do it...........then I got to law school and realized all of that is complete BS.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:28 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Yet another thread where the GPA vs. LSAT rages (on the current law student forum?!).

The way it was explained to me before I got to law school is your LSAT score tells you whether you're capable of doing it, your GPA tells you whether you have the willpower/drive to actually use those capabilities and do it...........then I got to law school and realized all of that is complete BS.

Yup. Honestly, I think there's a valuable discussion to be had here, so let's do our best to avoid the same tired LSAT/GPA debate.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:55 pm

OP you're a neurotic insecure stressball. Pre-LS imposter syndrome is nothing. Imagine when you actually get out and practice or clerk for a judge. People expect you to write opinions! They are trusting you (indirectly) with decisions that make or break companies. And you, as a (generally) 26 year old, get to make that choice. Or somebody got laid off from work and you're their one chance to remedy the injury. If you fuck up, then that's it and you screwed them.

Who gives a shit if your classmate made a sustainable African village from scratch or won every scholarship in the book? Doesn't mean they'll do better on law school exams than you.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:29 pm

OP you're a neurotic insecure stressball.
Which is why OP will probably do very well.

I felt the same way at my school for a bit. I don't anymore. People are people. Besides, TBH the biggest difference I noticed between my current classmates and my old, state school UG classmates is the size of their parents' paychecks......not a major discrepancy in intelligence, IMO. I'm gonna get jumped on for saying that though. :lol:

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:35 pm

As one of the youngest members of the current 1L class I felt a lot like you, until all my friends who had work experience and way more interesting softs than I did told me I was intimidating because I was there so young.

That's probably bullshit from them, but still, it goes both ways.

You got in, you're there for a reason--everyone starts in the same place. Good luck. (And yes I feel like a 5 year old about every day but I did pretty well first semester despite that.)

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:42 pm

I feel like Ive drinkin and bro'd a lot more than most prospective law students, and I feel that they should be intimidated by this.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:50 pm

LOL how 'watch Braveheart 1" was suggested as part of the answer to OP's dilemma.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:50 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I feel like Ive drinkin and bro'd a lot more than most prospective law students, and I feel that they should be intimidated by this.

:lol:

td6624

Postby td6624 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:02 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I feel like Ive drinkin and bro'd a lot more than most prospective law students, and I feel that they should be intimidated by this.

if any of them take a trip to the lounge they'll know there's no reason to be intimidated

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:05 pm

bk1 wrote:Three things:

1. It's pretty easy to tell which school you went to by looking at your post history so it isn't like it's a big secret.

2. I would hazard that the vast majority of law school students (even at the T14) are just like you and realize that when people talk to strangers they try and talk themselves up so their experiences sound better than they are.

3. Once you start actually studying and taking finals you probably will completely forget that you thought this way.

lol...quite easy...

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:00 pm

td6624 wrote:

if any of them take a trip to the lounge they'll know there's no reason to be intimidated

haha yeah. thats mostly a joke.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:04 pm

td6624 wrote:

Also, youre obviously not a bro.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:46 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:As one of the youngest members of the current 1L class I felt a lot like you, until all my friends who had work experience and way more interesting softs than I did told me I was intimidating because I was there so young.

Ha, never thought about it this way.

"Your many years in i-banking have made your legal mind WEAK and VULNERABLE."

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:34 am

OP, 90% of everything is about presentation.

you present yourself as a sniveling incompetent, people will assume you are a sniveling incompetent.

you present yourself as the smart kid, people will assume you are the class genius.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 am

gwuorbust wrote:
you present yourself as the smart kid, people will assume you are the class genius.

with the incredibly important caveat being that if you're not great at it then you'll seem like the most enormous toolbag in the history of the world

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:43 am

northwood wrote:people lie and stretch the truth all of the time. Especially when they meet people for the first time, and in a new environment. Take everything with a grain of salt. Sure some people did great and wonderful things, but more than likely they did some of the things they talked about, and wished or tried and failed to do the rest of the things they say and do.

credited. you will learn that your new classmates aren't as amazing they seem now.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”