Con Law E&E: can I rely on this bitch like I did the Ks one?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
flcath

Con Law E&E: can I rely on this bitch like I did the Ks one?

Postby flcath » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Okay, so Civ Pro is a goner... I've gotten nothing out of the class, so it's E&E all the way or I'll just fucking fail.

But for Con Law, I've paid decent attention and have decent notes from class... but there is no way in hell that I have a better understanding of the subject than most of my classmates, however.

I realize that con law is a pretty case-important course, but I was thinking that maybe the E&E would reflect that.

I got an A in Ks based 100% on the E&E; has anyone used this strategy (successfully or not) for con law?

Charles Barkley

Re: Con Law E&E: can I rely on this bitch like I did the Ks one?

Postby Charles Barkley » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:25 pm

I find the E&E for Con Law to be not that helpful, especially the examples part. The examples are all cases that you've likely read during the semester.

I'm relying more on the Cherminsky supplement.

For what it's worth, I'm a 1L taking Con law this semester as well. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:36 am

I have both of the Con Law E&Es (Individual Rights and Federal Power). So far they have been the least helpful of all the E&Es I've used.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:58 am

i dunno if this is helpful, but i basically haven't done any of the reading in con law this semester, but paid attention in class and took decent notes from powerpoints/discussion.

last couple days i basically mapped out what we topics/cases we covered, found where they were covered in the chemerinsky hornbook, read through it all, and outlined it (with the aid of some old outlines). almost an entire semester's worth of shit done in two fucking days. and im not going to lie, im pretty sure i have at least as good of an understanding of the material now as my classmates, at least for exam taking purposes.

so i guess what im saying is the chemerinsky hb is awesome and you can probably ace this class relying solely on this one supplement. not only do i get this impression from using it, but plenty of people have said that they read this instead of the casebook and did well.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Sweet!

I remember hearing a lot about the Chem hornbook as a 0L, but I guess I kinda abandoned HBs in favor of the E&Es (for example, Farnsworth on Ks is helpful, but the Ks E&E was just as good, and had Q&As).

Anything to avoid reading those godawful fucking 30-page cases again (or for the 1st time).

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:24 pm

But flcath, what casebook do you use for Con. law?

I'm not sure if using Chem hornbook would be useful on a non-Chem casebook, but it basically replaced my Chem-casebook for me. Much easier to read short case synopsis from the hornbook then J. Brennan's treatises, though I do fancy J. Thomas' often more radical views.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:36 pm

Chemerisnky is a HUGE time commitment but it is worth it in my opinion. I have read the book since 1 p.m. today and am using it as the sole method of preparing. My prof has a really wacky exam style so I may be screwed either way but at least I'll feel prepared before the apocalypse comes.

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:00 pm

I already took my conlaw 1 exam. Con law 1 is basically a series of test you need to be able to apply (Commerce clause, doormant commerce clause, tax and spend, etc.) Whether or not you know how to apply these tests after reading the con law E&E and sitting in class I think it really depends on the person. I stuck with the E&E and did a quick read of the cases. I understood the tests just fine. I think as long as you know how to apply all the tests you learn in class that you will be fine. Also, my professor wanted us to cite a lot of cases, so I just memorized what cases names to associate with which rules.

Good Luck

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”