Undergraduate taking a law class

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
arkansawyer

Re: Undergraduate taking a law class

Postby arkansawyer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:33 pm

My school offered honors undergrads the opportunity to take an international law class at our law school. It was much different from typical undergrad courses, and the "one test, one grade" style basically means you won't study the whole time. Still, made an A, learned a lot, and the prof is my thesis director now.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:38 pm

arkansawyer wrote:My school offered honors undergrads the opportunity to take an international law class at our law school. It was much different from typical undergrad courses, and the "one test, one grade" style basically means you won't study the whole time. Still, made an A, learned a lot, and the prof is my thesis director now.

Subtle "I'm smart and writing a thesis while also being lazy" psuedo-trolling from 0L in the Law Student forum.

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:00 am

Baylan wrote:
arkansawyer wrote:My school offered honors undergrads the opportunity to take an international law class at our law school. It was much different from typical undergrad courses, and the "one test, one grade" style basically means you won't study the whole time. Still, made an A, learned a lot, and the prof is my thesis director now.

Subtle "I'm smart and writing a thesis while also being lazy" psuedo-trolling from 0L in the Law Student forum.

I believe my advice is applicable to his situation.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:29 am

It's still more of a real law class than my islamic law class.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:44 am

Desert Fox wrote:It's still more of a real law class than my islamic law class.

GET THAT SHARIA SHIT OUT OF HERE!

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:23 am

Although I'm obviously inclined to trust your professor's judgement more than my own, I'm gonna go against the grain and say that on the information we have here, I'm not convinced it's a super great idea. Here's why:

1) I can only speak for myself, but my first attempts at answering a practice exam question were, well, not appropriate. The reason I was able to write something in the correct structure on exam day was that our professors gave us practice questions throughout fall semester, and we would then have review sessions with our TAs on how to answer them and get our own answers back with lots of feedback. Since it's an upper-level class, you probably won't get this. So you're going to need to study some model answers very carefully indeed - or buy coffee for a couple law students over the summer and have them explain how they attack an exam and structure an answer.

2) There is still a suggested curve for upper-level classes, and even if they don't stick strictly to it, professors can't just give everyone As. And I do think you might be at a disadvantage compared to your classmates. So unless "you can take my class, undergrad" is code for "I don't have to put undergrads on the curve," or "I really do give everyone As," or "I'll go easy on you," I don't think you're out of the woods on the grading issue.

That said, it would probably be a great opportunity. I just think it's also very daunting and there is some serious thinking/planning to be done.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”